The Student Room Group

Christmas outfits - should owners dress up their pets?

With Christmas around the corner we are all frantically digging out Christmas jumpers and santa hats to get in the festive spirit, but do we need to draw the line when it comes to dressing the pooch for the family photo?

Some of our students and staff here at Sheffield Hallam have been trying to get the perfect pic for their Christmas cards…

IMG_4519.jpgfrank.jpg

What do you think of owners dressing up their pets? If your pet is quite content wearing his xmas outfit post it below, we would love to see them!

We hope you are feeling festive & Merry Christmas!
Ella and Rachel :xmasgrin:
It depends. If the pet is ok with it and not distressed then it is fine, I have put the odd paper hat on my guinea pigs before now.
Having said that this obsession for cute photos of animals has a darker implication.
The most popular ones are breeds like dachshunds and French bulldogs.
These trendy breeds are crippled by health problems and posting stuff on Instagram about them is contributing to this popularity whether you intend this or not.
Brachycephalic breeds like pugs etc can barely breathe and suffer from hemivertibrae. Chrondodysplasic dogs such as dachshunds have degenerative disc disease caused by their dwarfism.
If you look around at cards and Christmas merchandise you will see companies capitalising on these breeds. People who buy these gifts and post these pictures are contributing to the problem.
People talk about puppy mills and yes this is fuelling the issue however the root problem is the breed standards that call for more and more extreme features.
So yes it can be harmless but on a larger scale there is a problem here.
I am indifferent to this.
The answer is probably no, but also yes because they look so darned cute
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
The answer is probably no, but also yes because they look so darned cute

Agreed... as long as they don't look distressed. Cats look particularly unhappy about it.
Original post by hallamstudents

Christmas outfits - should owners dress up their pets?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoMgnJDXd3k

Original post by hallamstudents

What do you think of owners dressing up their pets?

Dogs seem to not care, but otherwise it's animals' harrasment.
Reply 6
I just think you're a bit of a ******* if you do this as a matter of course
if they want, it's their pet after all.
Original post by Vinny C
Agreed... as long as they don't look distressed. Cats look particularly unhappy about it.

Cats I wouldn’t bother even trying to dress up but our dog used to wear a set of furry antlers on Christmas Day ... for about 10 seconds
I'll be dressing my cat as an elf and getting mauled to death in the process.
As long as the outfit is comfortable so not restricting any movement or not too tight I think it's alright.

Honestly I don't think the animal could give less of a **** as long as the statement I said above is followed.
Original post by harrysbar
Cats I wouldn’t bother even trying to dress up but our dog used to wear a set of furry antlers on Christmas Day ... for about 10 seconds

Well... even deer shed them annually. Your dog is just expediating the process.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Precious Illusions
I'll be dressing my cat as an elf and getting mauled to death in the process.

Meaning puss doesn't like it... leave him be!
Original post by Vinny C
Meaning puss doesn't like it... leave him be!

I was joking, I'm not THAT much of a numpty.
Original post by Precious Illusions
I was joking, I'm not THAT much of a numpty.

Phew... you'll be amazed how many are.

Quick Reply

Latest