Moving Abroad Watch

wellerism
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
OK im not sure if this is the right place for this thread so if its not then please move it!

Basically, ive had enough of my area and just want to get away... and by away i mean somewhere like spain or america, a completey new country.

Im 18, and awaiting my A level results, ive applied for university but would rather just go travelling and work abroad...

Can anyone point me in the right direction, what i would like to do is go to a EU country or America or South Africa and get a job what i could sustain my living expenses.
Is there any company that is involved with employment over seas that include accomdation?

so far ive only heard from Disney but they just directed me to another company who directed me back!
Ive also been skiing 10-15 times so Ski Resorts are also a possibilty.

I dont mind what work it is but i dont have a driving license or any bar experience. Working in a bar or hotel would be good but im not picky.

Thanks in advance i look forward to reading any advise or hints or tips i can be given!
KLL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you want to make a decent living, you'll msotly need either professional expereince or a degree if you want to be sent off to a different country by a firm
Constante
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you have some savings to maintan you, you could teach english freelance without any qualifications. If not, get a tefl certificate, doesn't take long and you should be able to work companies, although its not a great job it would do.

If you speak the language you could of course work anywhere, otherwise maybe mcdonalds?

Why not try applying for uni abroad in america, australia etc?
indie_couture
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
going to university would be better as then you can have something to 'fall back on' and if you decided to come back you would have good qualifications to get any job you wanted. Though travelling also looks good for employers showing you have a wide experience of different people and understanding of different cultures. Could you not just move to some pleace still in the UK? Perhaps you should start your uni course and you never know you might enjoy the change? If you dont like it you can always drop out, but everyone i have known who has gone to university has loved it and very glad they went.
Good luck x
Slender Loris
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
After A-Levels I went and lived in Germany, working as an au pair, so had a job and accommodation in one. If you have any childcare experience (babysitting will usually suffice) that might be an option for you.

EU is the easiest place to go as you don't need a visa, but if you don't speak a European language you will be limited in what you can do.

Hotels are good for providing accommodation. Holiday camps are good too and you often don't need to speak the local language if they are English-orientated ones.

For further afield it can be more difficult as visas are required - try bunac.org for working holiday visas in Australia, America, Canada and New Zealand (and South Africa too maybe?). They will help you find a job, accommodation, can provide flights, arrival orientation, and all that.
Slender Loris
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Constante)
If you have some savings to maintan you, you could teach english freelance without any qualifications. If not, get a tefl certificate, doesn't take long and you should be able to work companies, although its not a great job it would do.
Getting a decent, internationally recognised TEFL qualification (eg. CELTA or Trinity ESOL) is expensive (~£900), usually an intensive 4 week course, though some places also offer it part-time. A lot of TEFL jobs ask for a first degree + CELTA, though some countries like China where demand is high they aren't always necessary.
Constante
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Slender Loris)
Getting a decent, internationally recognised TEFL qualification (eg. CELTA or Trinity ESOL) is expensive (~£900), usually an intensive 4 week course, though some places also offer it part-time. A lot of TEFL jobs ask for a first degree + CELTA, though some countries like China where demand is high they aren't always necessary.
True, but some offer you a guaranteed job. I think when I travel Europe I would probably just work in places like Mcondlads when I get the chance, and then If I were OP I would do a language degree and make the most of your year out.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (148)
46.11%
Pro-humanity (173)
53.89%

Watched Threads