Bring back capital punishment watch

• View Poll Results: Should we bring back CP
    Yes
    29.69%
    No
    70.31%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    What does the bit in bold have to do with it ?

'A much more assured method' ? How in any way is murdering a citizen just ?
    Furthermore death is the easy way out for a criminal, why do you think they put certain murderers on suicide watch ?

Whilst there is a small probability for error in the judicial system, mistakes happen. Whilst it is easy to take an innocent man out of jail, it is impossible to bring him from the dead.

The thing is this isn't even a valid debate, no government would ever bring it back in.
    then why does it still exist in parts of the world. why hasn't it been phased out?
    death isn't painless unless it is natural, so it is not an 'easy way out', especially as they aren't executed the next day, look at the US Death Row. they spend up to 40 years in there before they are killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)

Furthermore death is the easy way out for a criminal, why do you think they put certain murderers on suicide watch ?

Whilst there is a small probability for error in the judicial system, mistakes happen. Whilst it is easy to take an innocent man out of jail, it is impossible to bring him from the dead.

The thing is this isn't even a valid debate, no government would ever bring it back in.
    Well said. And let's not forget, the mistakes that have happened have sometimes been on monumental levels. Think of the Guildford Four and Birmingham Six - that's only 2 cases and already potentially 10 innocent people killed if we had had capital punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)

Have you ever watched the Green mile? I would rather spend the rest of my days in prison than go through that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    look at the US Death Row. they spend up to 40 years in there before they are killed.
    Wow, just more proof the death penalty is barbaric. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Wow, just more proof the death penalty is barbaric. :rolleyes:
    no more barbaric than the crime committed...

ReputationRep:
    then why does it still exist in parts of the world. why hasn't it been phased out?
    death isn't painless unless it is natural, so it is not an 'easy way out', especially as they aren't executed the next day, look at the US Death Row. they spend up to 40 years in there before they are killed.
    Why does it still exist ? The UK is ,alongside others, one of the more advanced countries around. We have removed this barbaric punishment.

Even in the US not every state still has the death penalty and those that do, don't have a lower crime rate. If death wasn't an easy way out why do murderers such as Ian Huntly try to kill themselves in jail ? It is easier to die than live a life with murder on the conscience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ed.)
    Why does it still exist ? The UK is ,alongside others, one of the more advanced countries around. We have removed this barbaric punishment.

Even in the US not every state still has the death penalty and those that do, don't have a lower crime rate. If death wasn't an easy way out why do murderers such as Ian Huntly try to kill themselves in jail ? It is easier to die than live a life with murder on the conscience.
    i'm not trying to make this get personal, but most murderers who kill don't feel bad about it, probably more the fact that they have failed themselves in not getting caught. this is especially the case with mass-murderers. if you read my first post you'd have seen that i said those who commit genocide and brutal torture/rape should be killed, not necessarily those who have killed once or twice and know they have done wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rufus_approved)
    Have you ever watched the Green mile? I would rather spend the rest of my days in prison than go through that.
    Ha Ha, surely the fact that you resort to a film that doesn't attempt to provide a true description of prison life invalidates your argument.

ReputationRep:
    I'm undecided.
    On one hand i think that yes capital punishment would be appropriate but on the other hand a part of me would rather them be locked up and made to suffer. If the person is killed for the crime they committed then its all over for them. They'll be dead and will never have to think about the crime or the victim ever again. If they are locked up instead i sometimes wonder if it would be worse for them. At the end of the day the victim/victims family will never be able to forget what has happened to them whether the offender is alive or dead. But i guess with prison life getting easier for offenders and with life sentences not meaning "life" anymore, life inside might be a bit too easy for rapists and murderers, and perhaps bringing back capital punishment may be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rufus_approved)
    I meant that if someone did something bad to a member of your family. Would you still have the smae views?
    If someone raped/murdered/tortured a member of my family I would be very tempted to go after them myself.

However, I still don't think that makes implimenting CP any more feasible. If someone answered differently, and while disagreeing with CP wanted it for someone who killed a family member, that just shows how succeptible humans are to being ruled by their emotions.

ReputationRep:
    i'm not trying to make this get personal, but most murderers who kill don't feel bad about it, probably more the fact that they have failed themselves in not getting caught. this is especially the case with mass-murderers. if you read my first post you'd have seen that i said those who commit genocide and brutal torture/rape should be killed, not necessarily those who have killed once or twice and know they have done wrong.
    However brutal the crime we as a nation are just as bad if we in turn murder the murderer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against it.

For reasons more coherent than the ones I feel up to typing right now. Anyone see that program where the guy was going around looking for a humane way of executing people? He came across this gas method which slowly makes you lose conciousness, where you'd die, but before that you feel in a state of simple joviality. I'd love to die that way.

Anyone convicted of murder, or is a clear threat to society should be executed, actually.
    Ah, kill tha lot 'o them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    I'm not against it.

For reasons more coherent than the ones I feel up to typing right now. Anyone see that program where the guy was going around looking for a humane way of executing people? He came across this gas method which slowly makes you lose conciousness, where you'd die, but before that you feel in a state of simple joviality. I'd love to die that way.

Anyone convicted of murder, or is a clear threat to society should be executed, actually.
    Ah, kill tha lot 'o them...
    And what happens if you're wrongly accused of a murder you didn't commit and found guilty? It's much harder to appeal if you're dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumintroll)
    And what happens if you're wrongly accused of a murder you didn't commit and found guilty? It's much harder to appeal if you're dead.
    I don't think that would be very common, and of course there would have to be enough evidence for the murder. I know that is the major issue, but I mean something like being caught on CCTV.

I'm also for Bladerunner-esque cities of concrete and surveillance. Roll on apocalypse...

ReputationRep:
    No, we had this thread a few weeks ago :/

ReputationRep:
    No, it simply doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    I don't think that would be very common, and of course there would have to be enough evidence for the murder. I know that is the major issue, but I mean something like being caught on CCTV.

I'm also for Bladerunner-esque cities of concrete and surveillance. Roll on apocalypse...
    As long as there is the potential for it to happen once, you have a problem. Looking at UK criminal history, people have been wrongly convicted for murder rather more times than that.

Can you really run a criminal justice punishment system on the basis of giving out harsher penalties if the perpetrator happened to carry out the crime in an area with CCTV?

ReputationRep:
    I believe someone is better punished for their crime by suffering for a long period of time, basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumintroll)
    Can you really run a criminal justice punishment system on the basis of giving out harsher penalties if the perpetrator happened to carry out the crime in an area with CCTV?
    Yeah.
    Works on a stupidity level really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JocastaJackal)
    I believe someone is better punished for their crime by suffering for a long period of time, basically.
    Costs more money, though.
    Makes more sense to me to just obliterate them.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.