ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PPB)
    Pro's
    1)innocent people won't be killed
    2)big deterant
    con's
    1) too quick
    2) expensive
    How do you know that? Timothy Evans was hanged when we had the death penalty; he was innocent. In their trial the judge said that he wished The Guildford Four could be charged with treason so they could be hanged, if the death penalty was in place they would have been killed; they were innocent.

Too quick? Spending years on death row doesn't really sound quick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttygirl)
    How do you know that? Timothy Evans was hanged when we had the death penalty; he was innocent. In their trial the judge said that he wished The Guildford Four could be charged with treason so they could be hanged, if the death penalty was in place they would have been killed; they were innocent.

Too quick? Spending years on death row doesn't really sound quick.

it's 2008. the death pentalty was abolished in the 60s, science has improved..

life in prison> 25 years on death row

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PPB)
    it's 2008. the death pentalty was abolished in the 60s, science has improved..

life in prison> 25 years on death row
    The Guildford Four were released in '89, not the 60s. So because science has improved there can be no mistakes? Even if that's true, which I don't think it is, the police can plant evidence.

ReputationRep:
    that's why there are three appeals..

ReputationRep:
    What?

ReputationRep:
    Isnt a life locked up worse than having your life ended? I mean, you wouldnt have to endure prison as much.

ReputationRep:
    It's barbarism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pisswinkles)
    It's barbarism.
    Arguably so is taking away every right somebody has. It's funny how people validate their view that corporate punishment is wrong and shouldn't be a punishment by saying prison is worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invocation)
    Typical BBC!.,, did you know that the bastions of political correctness are killing our kids,,, Its time we bring back Mary Whitehouse,,, If you like it so much why dont you go live there!! Here come the pc brigade and the nanny state! non-christians are getting away with murder. It is vital that we shoot on sight. Typical Nu-Labour arrogance, here come the pc brigade and the nanny state! non-christians are trying to kill us all because they want to destroy us from within!, We must burn them alive, Next question.!!

Open your eyes people! ethnics are trying to control our lives because they are trying to cover up their mistakes! End this madness now strig them all up. What next? Allowing in foreigners? Oops. They do it alredy!!!!! I think we all know whats going on here. . it's obvious that paedos are helping their scottish comrades. Every British working man must chop their hand's off, see how they like it. This morning at breakfast my son leaned over to me and in a hushed voice said "Dad, we are still in England, aren’t we?" No son, I said. Not any more.
    Hahaha, that was really funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkypish)
    Arguably so is taking away every right somebody has. It's funny how people validate their view that corporate punishment is wrong and shouldn't be a punishment by saying prison is worse.
    Another strawman from captain logic.

Prison only removes ONE right of a person, that to freedom. This is done because only by removing that right can that person be prevented from harming society. The prisoner retains all of his other rights including to fair trial. In effect, prison involves the smallest infringement of the prisoners rights possible to prevent him criminally harming society.

ReputationRep:
    I regretted voting yes. A lifetime in prison is worse than being killed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airel)
    I regretted voting yes. A lifetime in prison is worse than being killed.
    Only to you. Most life prisoners disagree. If they didnt, theyd kill themselves

ReputationRep:
    No. I think it would mark a significant backwards step in society; not to mention the controversy surrounding which crimes ought constitute CP. There is also always a chance of an innocent being killed for a crime they didn't do. I would unequivocally say no, though I do understand why some support a return to CP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverMindThat)
    Another strawman from captain logic.

Prison only removes ONE right of a person, that to freedom. This is done because only by removing that right can that person be prevented from harming society. The prisoner retains all of his other rights including to fair trial. In effect, prison involves the smallest infringement of the prisoners rights possible to prevent him criminally harming society.
    Well that is actually still pretty big. Whether you think putting somebody in a position where they'll spend the rest of their life abused and tortured is more humane than killing them is personal preference. There's nothing to get high and might about, what you're doing is pretty much just as bad and arguably worse. I am against capital punishment because we can't create life and therefore shouldn't take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onthejubileeline)
    No. I think it would mark a significant backwards step in society; not to mention the controversy surrounding which crimes ought constitute CP. There is also always a chance of an innocent being killed for a crime they didn't do. I would unequivocally say no, though I do understand why some support a return to CP.
    What about innocents being sent to prison and subsequently getting tortured for the rest of their life? Surely they would have rather been put to death?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think capital punishment should be brought back
    . It makes us as bad as the criminals.

To quote one of my favourite YouTube videos 'Life without parole is way more brutal because it's like they're on some sort of prison colony planet in the future where they just have to fight for the rest of their lives.'

Let them rot in jail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkypish)
    What about innocents being sent to prison and subsequently getting tortured for the rest of their life? Surely they would have rather been put to death?
    My mum was in prison for 15 years for something she didn't do, she wouldn't rather have died. People don't get tortured in prison by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuttygirl)
    My mum was in prison for 15 years for something she didn't do
    For murder? You keep mentioning your mum, yet you always fail to qualify the reasoning behind her (apparently incorrect) incarceration. If she never came anywhere close to the gallows, it's not particularly germane to a death penalty debate.

And for the record, the thought of executing women makes my stomach churn. Apparently, though, I'm sexist for saying that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConservativeNucleophile)
    For murder? You keep mentioning your mum, yet you always fail to qualify the reasoning behind her (apparently incorrect) incarceration. If she never came anywhere close to the gallows, it's not particularly germane to a death penalty debate.

And for the record, the thought of executing women makes my stomach churn. Apparently, though, I'm sexist for saying that. :rolleyes:
    Sorry, I don't want to say on the internet to random strangers. Yes, it was for murder, otherwise why would i even say that?

BTW I've mentioned her three times, in relevant threads about the death penalty. What is your problem with that?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.