The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes, and my parents are divorced. Well their not, but they aren't together anymore
Reply 21
I would like to get married some day. However i wouldnt want a Christian wedding i.e. church wedding as im not a Christian. Although if my fiancee were then i would follow her wishes.
My parents have been married 27 years, together 32 (I think..), and although I'd seriously consider marriage, I don't see it as necessary for a relationship. I'm a firm believer of the idea that to some extent it would kill the romance.

To me it's just a piece of paper and a legal status, and I wouldn't mind staying in a relationship with someone for the rest of my life without being married to them.
Reply 23
I dont really want to get married but if the other half did I would consider it. I wouldnt want a church wedding though as I don't like being center of attention a nice quiet beach wedding would do me :smile:

My parents are still together
Reply 24
I would like to get married. It is a huge commitment and statement of love to make.
Crystaltears
I don't really believe in marriage and I think it's because of the examples of married couples I know, particularly my parents (divorced now)!

I would never have a wedding in a church because i'm not religious and I wouldn't believe in the whole "i'm making a promise to god that I will stay with you" thing, but if my partner REALLY wanted to get married and we were happy together then I would probably consider a civil ceremony.

It's not something I have totally ruled out, but I definately don't see it as something I aspire to acheive. I just don't see how it makes a difference (well, apart from legally lol) and I really don't want to get divorced!

What are your views?

If you don't see how getting married makes a difference, why would getting divorced make a difference?

My parents have been married for 25 years this year, and I want to get married. And I don't think it's "just a piece of paper" as some people would say. It's a commitment and a celebration of the love between two people. Yes, it can cost a lot of money (though it doesn't have to) but we spend lots of money on other celebrations too like Christmas and birthdays.
Reply 26
I am far from a romantic and am pretty cynical with anything with human involvement but I do actually want to get married. It has never been about the dream wedding or my knight in shiny tin foil. A quote from "Shall we dance?" summed up where i stand on it really -

": We need a witness to our lives. There's a billion people on the planet... I mean, what does any one life really mean? But in a marriage, you're promising to care about everything. The good things, the bad things, the terrible things, the mundane things... all of it, all of the time, every day. You're saying 'Your life will not go unnoticed because I will notice it. Your life will not go un-witnessed because I will be your witness'."
my parents are divorced, and i'd love to get married

marraige is a celebration of your love for that person. and when i find the right person, when the time is right, i will get married.

marraige is signifant in a relationship, because ultimately, you are saying, i love you soo much i want to share my surname with you, as long with 50% of wealth

too many pessimist in the world lol
.Katherine.
Yes, it can cost a lot of money (though it doesn't have to) but we spend lots of money on other celebrations too like Christmas and birthdays.

Birthdays and christmas don't cost thousands upon thousands of £, and have rather less chance of backfiring and being wasted months to a few years down the line.
Reply 29
Well i'd love to get married even though i hate my other half's surname. If we're not engaged by graduation im going to be un-traditional and ask him :smile:

My mum had me at 17, was a single parent and i never knew my dad. She married for the first time 10 years ago (im 20) and i hate her husband but i still believe in marriage. So i havent answered the poll because there's no "other" type of option.
Reply 30
I want to marry my long-term boyfriend and he wants to marry me. My parents have been together 25yrs, both of my aunts have been married 30+ years, my nan and grandad would have been together for 60yrs this christmas had my grandad not passed away last year and my uncle would have still been with his wife had she not died of breast cancer. The only divorce in my family is that of my dad's mum and dad. Perhaps this has influenced my decisions, but I have never seen any other option than for me to get married, this isn't to say it's the right choice for everyone or even me, but it's a choice I've made.
DisgruntledMoth
Birthdays and christmas don't cost thousands upon thousands of £, and have rather less chance of backfiring and being wasted months to a few years down the line.

Obviously birthdays and Christmas don't cost that much, but it's the same principle as spending money on a celebration which is just as, if not more, special. And even if marriages don't work out, it doesn't change the happiness a couple shared on their wedding day and for the following period. If a couple breaks up, married or not, it doesn't mean that everything they had together was a waste.
.Katherine.
Obviously birthdays and Christmas don't cost that much, but it's the same principle as spending money on a celebration which is just as, if not more, special. And even if marriages don't work out, it doesn't change the happiness a couple shared on their wedding day and for the following period. If a couple breaks up, married or not, it doesn't mean that everything they had together was a waste.

The money the parents spent on it was, though.
Reply 33
Never and my parents are divorced.

Yeah, it did put me off, but at the same time... I think marriage is just stupid. A lot of money, a piece of paper and a pair of rings. If I want to live with someone I love for the rest of my life, I'll just do it, instead of making a whole hoo-ha (I can't think of any other term) about it.
DisgruntledMoth
The money the parents spent on it was, though.

Not necessarily. They paid for a celebration and they celebrated. If someone spent money on an expensive gift for someone they later broke up with, it doesn't mean it's wasted.
.Katherine.
Not necessarily. They paid for a celebration and they celebrated. If someone spent money on an expensive gift for someone they later broke up with, it doesn't mean it's wasted.

Well, in my eye's it's similar to buying someone an expensive vase, only for them to "break it up" by dropping it on the floor.
Well, nevermind; I just hope you had fun smashing all that money.
Reply 36
Not unless you take me out for dinner and a movie first :wink:
Yes, I want to get married. I want the whole church wedding even though I'm atheist. I'm willing to play the game so I can get married in a church (to me, they're just beautiful buildings) and yes, I want to be someone's wife and I want a husband - to be partners in life and by law.

On the subject of learning from one's own upbringing; my parents have been together for 25 years, married for 13ish of those. They have the most incompatible relationship I know; they're chalk and cheese, but for them to stick with it all these years, there's gotta be something pretty special keeping them together. My parent's relationship is my idea of hell, but I just know I'll learn from my mother's mistakes and marry a man who's not like my father!!
DisgruntledMoth
Well, in my eye's it's similar to buying someone an expensive vase, only for them to "break it up" by dropping it on the floor.
Well, nevermind; I just hope you had fun smashing all that money.

People never intend to get divorced, so it'd only be a waste if the couple never appreciated or enjoyed their wedding and marriage.

I went to my aunt's wedding on Friday and it was lovely. I actually took my little name thing that says "Katherine" in posh writing from the reception dinner and I've put it on my desk :biggrin: Oh and the wedding favours are so cute, little bags of lavender with Bible verses attached!
Reply 39
Yeshie,defo!Mine weren't even married;maybe this has influenced my beliefs that it's important to find someone to share your life with.

Latest

Trending

Trending