Turn on thread page Beta

Do you want to get married? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want to get married?
    Yes and my parents are still married
    58.67%
    Yes and my parents are divorced
    21.94%
    I may consider it if my partner wants to and my parents are still married
    7.65%
    I may consider it if my partner wants to and my parents are divorced
    5.10%
    Never and my parents are still married
    3.06%
    Never and my parents are divorced
    3.57%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Katherine.)
    People never intend to get divorced, so it'd only be a waste if the couple never appreciated or enjoyed their wedding and marriage.

I went to my aunt's wedding on Friday and it was lovely. I actually took my little name thing that says "Katherine" in posh writing from the reception dinner and I've put it on my desk Oh and the wedding favours are so cute, little bags of lavender with Bible verses attached!
    Haha, sorry. It's just my dad is being pressured by an older half-sister, into paying more than we can afford for her wedding. It's just not good from a pessimistic point of view.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to. The idea of 'the big day' actually scares me. I would consider it if my partner really wanted it, but I doubt they would. I assume we would have had a conversation about it before they 'popped the question.' And obviously if we were going to have kids. Well, not obviously. There's nothing logical about that. But my mum's always saying it's 'better for the kids,' so, she probably knows best.

Edit: Oh yeah. My parents have been married 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    I do. I'm a relationship kind of guy so getting married is on my to-do-list. Not any time soon tho, 24-25 would be the earliest for me

ReputationRep:
    My parents are still married after years and years and my two oldest brothers are now happily married.

I definitely want to get married, whenever I find the right person though. It's something I will do though and since I'm the only daughter in my family out of three brothers I've told my parents to expect a huge wedding for me :p: haha. I don't really think about my wedding or any of that rubbish much like other girls may say 'white dress blah blah', but yeah I definitely what a big wedding!

ReputationRep:
    I am married, and my parents are divorced. Actually my dad has been married 3 times and my mam has been married twice.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it'd affect my choice on marriage if my parents got divorced.

ReputationRep:
    I want to get married.

ReputationRep:
    i want mine to be on a beach

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I have no wish to get married. It is not part of my life plan or something that has been ingrained by my parents.

Whether I would consider marriage or not would depend on the circumstances. I wouldn't get married just because my partner wanted me to - that is no reason to marry, both people must want to. But, if I felt I had found the "one" or whatever (not even sure I believe in that mind you) and everything about it felt right and good and true, then I would consider marriage.

I doubt that will happen though and hence I doubt I'll marry.

And, my parents are married (as all are my aunts/uncles etc) and have been for about 25 years.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops, clicked the wrong box - meant to click the second top one.

Yes, I want the whole shebang. Church etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystaltears)
    I don't really believe in marriage and I think it's because of the examples of married couples I know, particularly my parents (divorced now)!

I would never have a wedding in a church because i'm not religious and I wouldn't believe in the whole "i'm making a promise to god that I will stay with you" thing, but if my partner REALLY wanted to get married and we were happy together then I would probably consider a civil ceremony.

It's not something I have totally ruled out, but I definately don't see it as something I aspire to acheive. I just don't see how it makes a difference (well, apart from legally lol) and I really don't want to get divorced!

What are your views?

Hmm, have you ever or are you in a serious relationship?

Don't take this the wrong way, but despite what you think now, when you're older and in love and have really strong and happy feelings, I think you might feel a bit differently

..But maybe not. Maybe you really don't give a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystaltears)
    I don't really believe in marriage and I think it's because of the examples of married couples I know, particularly my parents (divorced now)!

I would never have a wedding in a church because i'm not religious and I wouldn't believe in the whole "i'm making a promise to god that I will stay with you" thing, but if my partner REALLY wanted to get married and we were happy together then I would probably consider a civil ceremony.

It's not something I have totally ruled out, but I definately don't see it as something I aspire to acheive. I just don't see how it makes a difference (well, apart from legally lol) and I really don't want to get divorced!

What are your views?
    Pretty much the same. I believe that as long as you know you love the person, and that person knows you love them, and you know that person loves you... then nobody else needs to be informed. Unless of course, one of you is using the fact that you don't have a ring in the finger as an excuse to flirt with other people... but if you really were in love, that wouldn't be happening.

I would get married, if the girl really wanted it. But it's not something I need to do for myself... Knowing that I'm in love, and it is reciprocated is enough for me.

Unfortunately the girl of my dreams, and current gf, is religious, and I'm not... I wouldn't do the church wedding thing, and she wouldn't have a wedding that wasn't religious. So... that's going to be a major issue in future, we'll see how it pans out.

My parents are divorced, but it hasn't put me off marriage. Some marriages work, some don't... it's not the act of marriage that is to blame, it's the individual relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I'd like to get married in a Victorian kind of way.
    Explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Explain
    I'd like to spend most my time at a club, smoking and reading newspapers, and only talk to my family at dinner etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    I'd like to spend most my time at a club, smoking and reading newspapers, and only talk to my family at dinner etc.
    What an era

ReputationRep:
    absolutely never.
    marriage is pointless and you could end up paying for it for a long time with the costs these days, and for what? a piece of paper? rights to a house if you split up? with the laws that are coming in if you've been with that person long enough you can rights to them anyway, and you get rights to your kids whether you're married or not.
    funniliy enough - my mum actually wont get married to her current boyf of 5 years because she doesn't wasn't him to have access to the house and money (she hasnt told him this of course). you should hear her go on about it sometimes, she is so passionate about how she paid the 80k for the house out of her money from running her own buissness for 12 years, why should HE get access to half of the house when he didnt even pay for it, my money i worked hard for it why should HE get access to that just because hes my boyf.....etc.... and then i remind her that if probs dont matter anymore whether you're married or not and then shes goes ranting again

I mean, don't get me wrong when i was little i wanted a whole princess wedding but i think a lot of us had that want once.

my mum and dad were married for 20 years. dad had an affair mum caught him so she had an affair (with current boyf been 2getha ever since) she moved 130 miles away to live with boyf and theyd were divourced like 4-6 months later.
    you have to make it legal to break up with someone, like wtf???
    you have to make it legal that you're with someone, like wtf???
    jeesh

i really don't see the point in this day and age

i mean when my grandparents (currently still married at 47 years) were born sure marriage was the thing then it was traddition but its just no biggie anymore

i actually found out from my mum a couple years ago that my nan left my grandad for another man (i wasnt born yet) then she went back to him 2 weeks later (so obv no divource) and he took her back!!!!!!! i bet it was all for tradition..im like i cant believe he actually took her back.... how many people would do that these days?

i would never, ever get married. even if i found out my man had a brain tumour, was going to die in 3 months and it was his dying wish for us to get married. NEVER

ReputationRep:
    I definitely want to marry. When? No clue.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and my parents are divorced.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely - as someone said earlier, it is a huge sign of love and commitment. It's certainly not 'just a piece of paper'. My boyfriend is religious (Christian) so we would have to get married in order to have a life-long relationship, but I would want marriage anyway even if we were both agnostic. My parents have been happily married for 28 years.

ReputationRep:
    Never and my parents are still married, but only just tbh.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.