Turn on thread page Beta

Do you want to get married? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want to get married?
    Yes and my parents are still married
    58.67%
    Yes and my parents are divorced
    21.94%
    I may consider it if my partner wants to and my parents are still married
    7.65%
    I may consider it if my partner wants to and my parents are divorced
    5.10%
    Never and my parents are still married
    3.06%
    Never and my parents are divorced
    3.57%

ReputationRep:
    i would get married . . . hopefully to my current boyfriend i would either like a church wedding or something different like a castle. guess im just a hopeless romantic :suith:
    my parents are divorced but my dad has remarried.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are still legally married but they're no longer together. I have every intention of getting married if the opportunity was there and right.

Marriage is a lot more than a piece of paper for the division of assets as someone else said on this thread, if something were to happen to the person you were with and you weren't married you would have no rights unless you had drawn up a contract. That's pretty important.

From a moral perspective, I have no issue with just living with someone and having children with them without getting married but the idea that they would have no rights if something happened to me and vice versa would pretty much rule out that option.

I wouldn't get married in a church, though. I'm not religious.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I want to get married. I think it is because of the examples of married couples I've met. I hardly know anyone who's parents are divorced, and I don't really know any couples with serious problems.
    Might get married in a church - depends on my husband really.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to get married, and my parents are divorced. I'm not religious at all, I just like the idea of it. We're already living together as a married couple anyway and have a child together, so it would just be a formality, I'm looking forward to it though.

ReputationRep:
    The people I'm willing to actually marry are few and far-between.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and preferrably, to a Chinese girl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Katherine.)
    If you don't see how getting married makes a difference, why would getting divorced make a difference?
    Because I don't see how being married would feel any different (I'm one of those piece of paper people!!), but I would feel like i'd failed at something if I had to get a divorce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriise)
    Hmm, have you ever or are you in a serious relationship?

Don't take this the wrong way, but despite what you think now, when you're older and in love and have really strong and happy feelings, I think you might feel a bit differently

..But maybe not. Maybe you really don't give a ****
    Not serious serious, no.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Like alot of my friends see it as one of their man goals in life to get married and I really don't, but when i'm older I may consider it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mush)
    My parents are divorced, but it hasn't put me off marriage. Some marriages work, some don't... it's not the act of marriage that is to blame, it's the individual relationship.
    That is a good point actually. (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to get married but I want to be as sure as I can before I do it...I want to have lived with the person for at least 5 years...so I know we get on and can live together and get through difficult stages in life.

ReputationRep:
    I want to get married at one point in my life.. My parents had a really bitter divorce, which in the first place put me off ever getting married.. But then I grew up, and realised that not every marriage has to be like theirs.. I wouldn't get married too quick though, need to be with (+ lived with for a while) that person for at least 5 years first..

ReputationRep:
    I'm not religious at all, but I definitely want a proper, old fashioned wedding in a church, with a white dress etc. Just because I think that proper weddings are really lovely. In my eyes, it's not making a promise to god, it's making a promise to each other, with the congregation as witnesses. My parents have been married happily for 20 years.

Also, there are all sorts of legal benefits that come with being married.

ReputationRep:
    My parents were married for 36 years before my dad passed away last year. There were times when I really wished they would have got divorced as they argued night and day!!. I myself have been married for 12 years and me and my husband very, very rarely argue.If we do have words they are said and done with.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. My parents have been (for the most part happily) married for 23 years.

The results of this thread are depressing. I never knew people could be so hostile and bitter towards the concept of marriage itself.

ReputationRep:
    I want to get married for sure, but I think I will be very careful as to who I get married to, as nearly all my family are divorced. My mum and dad were both previously divorced when they married each other, and now they have got divorced. Also, my nan and grandad have got divorced and so have my auntie and uncle, so things aren't really good marriage wise in my family. I think I will want to be with someone for a long time before we decide to get married to ensure it is the right thing that we are doing to aviod needing a divorce.

ReputationRep:
    I want to get married to my boyfriend...he knows, and said he will never get married...but occassionally starts sentences with 'When we are married....' haha I don't know why i want to get married. I'm not religious, and my parents are divorced which caused all sorts of agro.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I want to marry; the idea of never doing so does not bother me although if I found someone I wanted to be with I guess I would.

My parents are divorced, and the stupidity behind their split does not endear me the idea.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are divorced and remarried and I am fine with it, since I love my stepfather so much I can't imagine my life without him. I also like my stepmother but since I don't live with her I am not that close with her. Although my parents' wedding ended not so well ( with my father cheating on my mother - when they already had 3 children together - ) I do want to get married, not because of marriage itself ( it's just a piece of paper...) but because of what it represents. I know it doesn't always end up well but this doesn't mean that it's impossible. If any, the fact that I didn't grow up in a "normal" family is what makes me want one even more. I really love my stepfather as much as my real one ( maybe even more ) but the truth is we are two different families now...my father has another child which I love but can't see that often. I think that's what bugs me the most....

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.