helpimconfused
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have no idea what to do for this coursework, any help and pointers would be very much appreciated.

A customer has requested a high voltage meter hardware design, to include a 3-digit LED display, and with the following specification. This circuit is required to fit into an existing electronic system - the customer will build the circuit themselves and write the software if required. There is a 5V 1A supply available within their existing system for powering the new voltmeter circuit:

1. Vin = 0 to 450 Vdc

2. Accuracy +-2 Vdc

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS A DESIGN AND DOCUMENTATION EXERCISE - YOU ARE NOT EXPECTED TO BUILD THIS CIRCUIT OR WRITE ANY CODE.

Produce a report that details your recommended solution. The report should be no more than 5 pages including diagrams and using a number 11 font.

The report should include the following information:

~> An introduction and specification, including the total power dissipated by the circuit (approx. 100-200 words).

~> A fully labelled circuit diagram, including showing all external connections, component values and part numbers.

~> A circuit description (to explain how your circuit works). Include any working out e.g. include any Ohms Law or other calculations that you make.

~> A parts list table including basic component spec, Farnell Components part number, component prices and total price for all circuit components.

~> If your design uses a microcontroller board such as an Arduino or Tweeny, state which IO pins the customer has to or may use, and how they should be set up. E.g. set pin 9 to analogue input and pins 11 to 23 to digital outputs. Assume that the customer will write their own software.

Imagine that you want to impress your customer so that they give you the contract to manufacture these circuits, once the design is approved.

Therefore, the highest marks will be given for the most impressive report and circuit solution. How you do all of this is entirely up to you.

HINTS:

1. Use a potential divider to divide the dangerous voltage down to a safe voltage (we didn't study this, so look it up).

2. An ADC is needed to convert the safe voltage to a digital value (included on most microcontrollers).

3. Assume that a microcontroller e.g. Arduino Nano or Arduino Uno will be used to convert the digital value to BCD values.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by helpimconfused)
I have no idea what to do for this coursework, any help and pointers would be very much appreciated.

HINTS:

1. Use a potential divider to divide the dangerous voltage down to a safe voltage (we didn't study this, so look it up).

2. An ADC is needed to convert the safe voltage to a digital value (included on most microcontrollers).

3. Assume that a microcontroller e.g. Arduino Nano or Arduino Uno will be used to convert the digital value to BCD values.
Ok, so the hints are there to get you going, and really map out many of the key bits of the problem for you.

Start by drawing a block diagram for what those three units above need to do and how they will link together and go from there. Add more specific details and sub-blocks, e.g. how much do you need to divide down the input voltage by to get it to a useful / safe level for the ADC ? How much bit depth does the ADC need to get you the required accuracy. How will the ADC talk to the microcontroller ? How will you protect bits of the system from over voltage fault conditions ? How will you power the measurement system and display the result ?

Once you have a rough block diagram solution mapped out, hit the Farnel website to identify possible components, pay very close attention to their voltage ratings for this application. Their spec sheets will often give you helpful design hints.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (163)
61.05%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.12%
No- I want it (74)
27.72%
No- I don't want it (19)