Explaining gaps and dealing with feeling down

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I feel that most of my post have been made on the down side this year. Having been junior analyst for the last year and half I’ve struggled since June to land a job in my field. I have retail job which has help to bridge the gap (but my CV is still missing 4 months). Today I got some really good advice from a recruiter but no one truly knows how hard I’ve worked in trying to a job in my sector. I’ve gone through the process of being excited to get an interview, crying because of rejection and now I just feel empty. I know I’ve done my absolute best but I can’t help feel a bit blue. I have no one to talk to about it. I was afraid to see explain the gap and now I don’t care I’m living my truth I’ve had a set back in life does no one get that? Going into 2020 I’m at work now trying to the hold the tears back it’s really when you’re doing your best. I message people on LinkedIn I’ve even contracted HR for roles I’m interested in. I followed every last suggestion that people on this forum advised me to do. I live on my own and my money goes to bills I can’t get myself a gift for my birthday (and I don’t know if I can get support with my rent). Christmas, birthday and the job issue. The blues I guess.
WhisperWillow
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I feel that most of my post have been made on the down side this year. Having been junior analyst for the last year and half I’ve struggled since June to land a job in my field. I have retail job which has help to bridge the gap (but my CV is still missing 4 months). Today I got some really good advice from a recruiter but no one truly knows how hard I’ve worked in trying to a job in my sector. I’ve gone through the process of being excited to get an interview, crying because of rejection and now I just feel empty. I know I’ve done my absolute best but I can’t help feel a bit blue. I have no one to talk to about it. I was afraid to see explain the gap and now I don’t care I’m living my truth I’ve had a set back in life does no one get that? Going into 2020 I’m at work now trying to the hold the tears back it’s really when you’re doing your best. I message people on LinkedIn I’ve even contracted HR for roles I’m interested in. I followed every last suggestion that people on this forum advised me to do. I live on my own and my money goes to bills I can’t get myself a gift for my birthday (and I don’t know if I can get support with my rent). Christmas, birthday and the job issue. The blues I guess.
if crying helps when you're low cry. sometimes you litterally just have to cry if you can. it's not a bad thing. you cry eitheremotionally or your body makes you cry to balance the hormones and chemicals in your body so you experience too much of anything chemically. it may not feel it at the time but if your gonna cry let it all out. you sound like you're genuinely trying. I'd definately suggest to keep on doing so. maybe you need to pick up another job for the time being, look at money management if you haven't before to see if there's anything that could help spend wisely for now whilst you've got your retail job.
if you're religious ask for exposure, pray your success into life and keep on doing what your doing or look for another day round getting the job you want. whatever your doing do it well and opportunities will come eventually as long as you ask and try. make sure your cv is the best it can be ( I'm sure it is but there's no harm in saying it)
Anonymous #1
Yea I’m trying to get another job because my retail job is seasonal. I’m still going to continue to do my best, but while I was at work I felt I really was trying to hold back the tears. Thanks for the advice.
Anonymous #1
Hi, so the telephone interview I did last week I was rejected. I’m disappointed naturally because it was the only role that I’d exactly similar to what I’ve done previously. I’ve asked for feedback but I doubt I will get that unfortunate. I’m just trying to figure out what it is I’m doing wrong. I always seem to come so close.
WhisperWillow
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi, so the telephone interview I did last week I was rejected. I’m disappointed naturally because it was the only role that I’d exactly similar to what I’ve done previously. I’ve asked for feedback but I doubt I will get that unfortunate. I’m just trying to figure out what it is I’m doing wrong. I always seem to come so close.
well for now I'd just wait. if you get the feedback then I think that's the best you can go on. if not just keep on going. I know it feels perilous but it'll be worth it eventually.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by WhisperWillow)
well for now I'd just wait. if you get the feedback then I think that's the best you can go on. if not just keep on going. I know it feels perilous but it'll be worth it eventually.
I feel like physically it's been draining and I don't look like me. I saw my mother and she I need to eat, I been neglecting my body, I live on my own the retail job I have is seasonal and in addition I was able to get another agency temp job but it's not sustainable. I'm trying but no likes being rejected constantly. Sometime I can barely find food parents don't know this, everything I earn goes to bills after an interview rejection all I asked for is feedback they don't even want to respond.
WhisperWillow
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I feel like physically it's been draining and I don't look like me. I saw my mother and she I need to eat, I been neglecting my body, I live on my own the retail job I have is seasonal and in addition I was able to get another agency temp job but it's not sustainable. I'm trying but no likes being rejected constantly. Sometime I can barely find food parents don't know this, everything I earn goes to bills after an interview rejection all I asked for is feedback they don't even want to respond.
It will be no doubt. I'm not surprised that it has taken a toll on you mentally and physically. it's not healthy how you're living but you know that. I really wish there was more I could suggest.
I get that it can be embarrassing tell your parent s stuff like this but maybe it's best, she can already see that somethings not right and she might have an incling to your situation but doesn't want to say anything parents can be intuitive. they might help you out a little and then if you really feel guilty, when you're in a better place you can pay them back. you clearly need to talk to someone about this and a parent can be that ear and advice you need. I hope the best for you.
Anonymous #1
It will be no doubt. I'm not surprised that it has taken a toll on you mentally and physically. it's not healthy how you're living but you know that. I really wish there was more I could suggest.
I get that it can be embarrassing tell your parent s stuff like this but maybe it's best, she can already see that somethings not right and she might have an incling to your situation but doesn't want to say anything parents can be intuitive. they might help you out a little and then if you really feel guilty, when you're in a better place you can pay them back. you clearly need to talk to someone about this and a parent can be that ear and advice you need. I hope the best for you.
They know just not to the full extent. But I have to tell them because I can't managed. Thanks for responding I was feeling a bit down.
WhisperWillow
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
They know just not to the full extent. But I have to tell them because I can't managed. Thanks for responding I was feeling a bit down.
no worries. I understood that this isn't your proudest point in life and that you needed some conversation /advice or at least someone to listen. I'll be watching this chat if you need to talk again.
Anonymous #1
no worries. I understood that this isn't your proudest point in life and that you needed some conversation /advice or at least someone to listen. I'll be watching this chat if you need to talk again.
Thank you so much. I've been for the last 2 weeks working. My seasonal retail job as ended and the other agency role that I've been doing isn't consistent as its zero hour contract. I'm trying to push through but I really don't know where I stand, lucky I do have my rent covered for this month.
WhisperWillow
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much. I've been for the last 2 weeks working. My seasonal retail job as ended and the other agency role that I've been doing isn't consistent as its zero hour contract. I'm trying to push through but I really don't know where I stand, lucky I do have my rent covered for this month.
that's good. just keep on doing all you can. then you can never be dissapointed with where you are. obviously treat yourself with respect but make sure to treat yourself with extra care when you need it. if you've had a bad day. don't be hard on yourself. relax for a little at the end of the day and make sure that tomorrow's you starts off great.
it's great that you're covered this month, try to push and get as much for next month too. sometimes it's okay to just survive for a bit. I hope you have still got high hopes for that line of work you want to progress in.
if you're not sure where you stand maybe it's because you're in transition. you're on your way to the next part, you've just got to deal with the middle work to get there. just find the smaller things to stand on rather than looking at the main picture. like looking at the bricks instead of what's at the end of the bridge be cause it's either not very clear or overwhelming. just look at the next 5 things you're going to do every day. at the end of the day think of the first 5 things you're going to do. and just keep going you'll get there.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
that's good. just keep on doing all you can. then you can never be dissapointed with where you are. obviously treat yourself with respect but make sure to treat yourself with extra care when you need it. if you've had a bad day. don't be hard on yourself. relax for a little at the end of the day and make sure that tomorrow's you starts off great.
it's great that you're covered this month, try to push and get as much for next month too. sometimes it's okay to just survive for a bit. I hope you have still got high hopes for that line of work you want to progress in.
if you're not sure where you stand maybe it's because you're in transition. you're on your way to the next part, you've just got to deal with the middle work to get there. just find the smaller things to stand on rather than looking at the main picture. like looking at the bricks instead of what's at the end of the bridge be cause it's either not very clear or overwhelming. just look at the next 5 things you're going to do every day. at the end of the day think of the first 5 things you're going to do. and just keep going you'll get there.
I have a really good CV with two top banks and I feel like sometimes I'm invited to interviews because of the companies and the hiring managers waste my time when they really don't want junior candidates. I'm so upset because today I had an interview and I was early and everything got lost ended up being late and the hiring manager has decided to reschedule (I think they won't email me again). I feel like no one understand this has taken a toll on me I got a zero hour agency work but it's unreliable and I'm just trying to pay my bills out of it but I haven't gotten two full days work (therefore I'm not getting a full pay). I should go to universal credit and trying my best to work 16 hours but I'm so drained my tears are dry and I just keep thinking "Where am I going wrong?" I ask for feedback I do everything like I just don't know and think that's what hurts the most because I'm doing it on my own with no support from everyone. The last time was on universal credit and met with my advisor I literally start cry because I'm one of those people who really wants a job and when I was there you can just tell that some people didn't.
WhisperWillow
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have a really good CV with two top banks and I feel like sometimes I'm invited to interviews because of the companies and the hiring managers waste my time when they really don't want junior candidates. I'm so upset because today I had an interview and I was early and everything got lost ended up being late and the hiring manager has decided to reschedule (I think they won't email me again). I feel like no one understand this has taken a toll on me I got a zero hour agency work but it's unreliable and I'm just trying to pay my bills out of it but I haven't gotten two full days work (therefore I'm not getting a full pay). I should go to universal credit and trying my best to work 16 hours but I'm so drained my tears are dry and I just keep thinking "Where am I going wrong?" I ask for feedback I do everything like I just don't know and think that's what hurts the most because I'm doing it on my own with no support from everyone. The last time was on universal credit and met with my advisor I literally start cry because I'm one of those people who really wants a job and when I was there you can just tell that some people didn't.
I completely get what you mean when you are someone who really tries so much and then doesn't get it. if you don't mind me asking, what is universal credit? is that 16 straight hours because I'm not even sure that's legal. ibthinknits horrible when you know you can be the absolute best for the job, actually want to put your heart and soul into it but you don't, and to do that over and over means you're such a strong person. and you're still here, as much as it hurts you're still here and out there is the job for you. I'm so sorry that it's taking so long I really am. I wish I could do more but all I can is offer an ear for which you can vent or advice if you need such.

I know you don't want to hear it but you just have to keep going if you want it. I'd say recover till you get the next opportunity, and then take it.
Last edited by WhisperWillow; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
I completely get what you mean when you are someone who really tries so much and then doesn't get it. if you don't mind me asking, what is universal credit? is that 16 straight hours because I'm not even sure that's legal. ibthinknits horrible when you know you can be the absolute best for the job, actually want to put your heart and soul into it but you don't, and to do that over and over means you're such a strong person. and you're still here, as much as it hurts you're still here and out there is the job for you. I'm so sorry that it's taking so long I really am. I wish I could do more but all I can is offer an ear for which you can vent or advice if you need such.

I know you don't want to hear it but you just have to keep going if you want it. I'd say recover till you get the next opportunity, and then take it.
Thanks for always responding I'm going to keep going and do my best. Universal credit is like job seekers with a new name, not my proudest moment but hay this first time being underemployed.
WhisperWillow
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thanks for always responding I'm going to keep going and do my best. Universal credit is like job seekers with a new name, not my proudest moment but hay this first time being underemployed.
do it. pride is useless at a time like this so don't feel embarrassed. who cares what anyone thinks.
Anonymous #1
do it. pride is useless at a time like this so don't feel embarrassed. who cares what anyone thinks.
Yea that's what I realise, pride gets you no where. I have an interview on Wednesday and it's a place I didn't a form spring internship at and because I've been rejected so many times, I don't feel as excited. Keep your fingers cross for me it's a good role majority of the duties listed on the job description I've already done.
WhisperWillow
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
give this everything. make sure to practice your interview till fed up with it. go through everything they've said to previously improve. give them nothing to say no to. talk about yourself with confidence and respect but not with boastfullness. examples and everything. I hope the best for you, really hope you get it. you sound like you really want it.
Last edited by WhisperWillow; 2 months ago
Anonymous #1
WhisperWillow I also want to say thank you again. For the last couple of weeks I've gone through highs and lows and constantly vent on student room regarding my setback and you have always been supportive with your words and I really appreciate it, as you don't know me but still encourage me. Thank you!
WhisperWillow
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
WhisperWillow I also want to say thank you again. For the last couple of weeks I've gone through highs and lows and constantly vent on student room regarding my setback and you have always been supportive with your words and I really appreciate it, as you don't know me but still encourage me. Thank you!
believe me in saying I'm glad I could be the one to try keep you positive through your rough patch. wouldn't want you to be alone In your struggling. I'll be here as long as needed. can't wait to see where you go and how everything will work out.
Anonymous #1
believe me in saying I'm glad I could be the one to try keep you positive through your rough patch. wouldn't want you to be alone In your struggling. I'll be here as long as needed. can't wait to see where you go and how everything will work out.
Thanks I've completed my interview now I had two actually. The first was a telephone interview and the second was a face-to-face. The one thing that I took away from each company today that they both said I have really good companies on my CV and regardless of the outcome I should proud of getting into those companies. I will continue to do my best and btw I think it went great.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (206)
33.28%
No (413)
66.72%

Watched Threads