The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know for certain, but very much doubt it because the law school is really oversubscribed already
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
I don't believe so.
Reply 3
i remember looking just before i got my alevel results last year so i could judge my own chances in case i missed the grades(which i incidentally did) but no Sheffield law courses entered clearing.
Reply 4
i'm pretty sure there was some law related things, but it might have been with a language or only for international students.
i also remember telling lots of people there were no vacancies for it so it was probably very few, and probably none for the normal course.
Reply 5
I know for a fact there was places for Law in clearing because I met a girl on one of the tours who had got into Sheffield Law for clearing.
Reply 6
01rorlin
I know for a fact there was places for Law in clearing because I met a girl on one of the tours who had got into Sheffield Law for clearing.

If people here searched and found none then she might have got one of very few places or made special arrangements through the department
if she'd not applied originally but got grades that were at least the normal entry requirements then they might have got in that way after speaking to the admissions tutor

also, brak3n, it was you that worked on the clearing phone lines last year wasnt it? Are you doing it again this year? I am, though i only told them i would definitely do it today :smile:
twas good having paid tsr sessions when it got quiet :p:
Reply 7
I hope Law & Criminology is in clearing.
Reply 8
She hadn't applied to Sheffield ironically because she didn't think she could get the grades (AAA) and missed her offer for Leeds (AAB) by one mark to get AAC. Funny how things work out.
I never really advise clearing because a fair few people who go end up not liking it and drop out. This is a very expensive mistake, one which I did myself.
subterfuge
If people here searched and found none then she might have got one of very few places or made special arrangements through the department
if she'd not applied originally but got grades that were at least the normal entry requirements then they might have got in that way after speaking to the admissions tutor

also, brak3n, it was you that worked on the clearing phone lines last year wasnt it? Are you doing it again this year? I am, though i only told them i would definitely do it today :smile:
twas good having paid tsr sessions when it got quiet :p:

how did you get the job on the clearing helplines lynn?
i might be interested in doing it but I cant see anything on the jobs section of the uni website :confused:
mtbab
i remember looking just before i got my alevel results last year so i could judge my own chances in case i missed the grades(which i incidentally did) but no Sheffield law courses entered clearing.

Where did you find that out??
toddlers crossword
how did you get the job on the clearing helplines lynn?
i might be interested in doing it but I cant see anything on the jobs section of the uni website :confused:

I was looking for it for Lee but couldn't find it so i emailed the woman who's in charge of it to ask about it. She said it only went up for a couple of days because they got lots of replies but she said she'd give him an interview anyway.

Then i went to the hospital who told me i should stay off work for a week after my op and i thought lifting heavy stuff 10days after it was probably pushing it a bit so I asked if i could be interviewed too, but she said i didn't need to be interviewed since i did it last year. So that was it.

If i didn't already feel like i'd been a bit cheeky i'd ask if you could be interviewed too, but i don't want to push my luck. If they find they need more people later i'll give them your email though! Last year they were emailing round student ambassadors pretty close to the week because there weren't enough.

I never really advise clearing because a fair few people who go end up not liking it and drop out. This is a very expensive mistake, one which I did myself.

I don't think that's really a problem with clearing itself, it's just easy to get caught up in rushing around and picking the first half decent thing that you get offered. It's really important to make sure you know as much (if not more) about the course as you did about the course you previously had as your firm and not rush into it. Once they've offered you a clearing place they're not going to take it away so you can take things slowly (to a certain extent: an afternoon of researching it is fine, a month isn't so much!). Don't panic!

There's no reason for anyone to end up on a course that isn't what they expected. A bit of research on the internet can tell you the modules you have to take, descriptions of them and for some departments you can even look at the lecture notes.
subterfuge
I was looking for it for Lee but couldn't find it so i emailed the woman who's in charge of it to ask about it. She said it only went up for a couple of days because they got lots of replies but she said she'd give him an interview anyway.

Then i went to the hospital who told me i should stay off work for a week after my op and i thought lifting heavy stuff 10days after it was probably pushing it a bit so I asked if i could be interviewed too, but she said i didn't need to be interviewed since i did it last year. So that was it.

If i didn't already feel like i'd been a bit cheeky i'd ask if you could be interviewed too, but i don't want to push my luck. If they find they need more people later i'll give them your email though! Last year they were emailing round student ambassadors pretty close to the week because there weren't enough.

They sound like the people at my job at the elections office...being very picky about who they employ, and then having to take anyone at the last minute because they realise they havent got enough staff!
if they do need anyone else itd be great if you'd pass on my email, would nicely fill in a bit of time before going on camp (you are going on the new england based one arent you?)
Reply 14
This isn't a recruitment fourm, go somewhere else!
no need to be mean, you could be a bit more grateful for the time people have put in replying to help you rather than complaining about posts being a little off topic. :frown:
We've pretty much exhaused the original topic unless someone who got in to law through clearing sees it anyway.
Reply 16
Doubt Law and Crim will be in clearing - they expect lower grades so a lot of people apply for law/crim merely because it asks for lower grades so they don't have to stress about getting three A's :smile:

Law is pretty oversubscribed, but you never know!
Reply 17
It asks for AAB for Law and Crim, thats not low!
Reply 18
Sarah_Andrews
It asks for AAB for Law and Crim, thats not low!

its lower than the AAA they ask for all the other law courses and sheff will generallly accept you for Law with AAB so they'll prob accept LawCrim with ABB in some cases thus, low.
Reply 19
I hope they are in clearing this year, as according to many people in this board claim it is very rare that Law Single Honours and Law & Criminology are ever in Clearing.

Latest