I'm left wing but don't like a lot of the people

Watch
SaucissonSecCy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Although I could highlight my dislike of sections of the right in terms of policies, and a kind of callousness and smugness, and I can't stand the supercilious, snide, spiteful liberal Blairites or their political record, I am finding that there are a lot of the people on the left I share political views with who I don't actually like at all. One factor would be a smug kind of atheism that regards believers in God as inherently stupid. If its an ethnic minority religion then it has more respect, out of something that may or may not be patronising. The atheism is accompanied by quite a fundamentalist, puritanical view of their own morals. Another is that while they claim to be about common humanity, on a personal level they can be very detached cold and insensitive, and inconsiderate. They seem narcissistic, self promoting and soulless. Very much an in it for me feeling, paradoxical to their politics. They give off a very cliquey and exclusionary aura, again in contradiction to inclusive political ideals. There is an odd, surpressed, unspoken judgementalism about them, like you have to meet the standards for authenticity and kudos and moral approval. When in fact humans are much more complex than that.
It's sort of like cool kids at school and having the right trainers when you're a kid or smoking weed. Again in contrast to what they project themselves as being about.
I don't like the atmosphere and I think their alternative slant makes them think they are much better. Actually quite mean spirited.

This is contrast to the genuinely nice people on the left who just hate the bull**** and evil sinister elements from the right.
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 10 months ago
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Liberal Blairite here.

Tough.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Paul Mason would be quite a good example of what I'm describing right now. Giving of something that appears to be very human but scratch the surface.... As a contrasting example I would point to Gordon Brown who I think is genuinely conscientious.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Out of pure curiosity has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 10 months ago
who do you speak to in real life? do you speak to liberals or do you get 'liberalism' from the media?

i am a liberal with liberal friends and we are not 'self promoting' or 'soulless'. indeed my liberal friend and i talk about committing crimes daily in law school, and i deal with criminals daily in my job. i don't judge anyone because i know there is a thin line between being good and being criminal. oh yeah, btw i'm a conservative christian.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Almost every large group has its own bad apples and obnoxious elements.
All over political spectrum.
Personally I tend to be most annoyed by the aggressive people, revolutionaries and identity politics crowd on all sides.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
who do you speak to in real life? do you speak to liberals or do you get 'liberalism' from the media?

i am a liberal with liberal friends and we are not 'self promoting' or 'soulless'. indeed my liberal friend and i talk about committing crimes daily in law school, and i deal with criminals daily in my job. i don't judge anyone because i know there is a thin line between being good and being criminal. oh yeah, btw i'm a conservative christian.
I wasn't really talking about Liberal so much as people on the left, a certain type.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by SaucissonSecCy)
Although I could highlight my dislike of sections of the right in terms of policies, and a kind of callousness and smugness, and I can't stand the supercilious, snide, spiteful liberal Blairites or their political record, I am finding that there are a lot of the people on the left I share political views with who I don't actually like at all. One factor would be a smug kind of atheism that regards believers in God as inherently stupid. If its an ethnic minority religion then it has more respect, out of something that may or may not be patronising. The atheism is accompanied by quite a fundamentalist, puritanical view of their own morals. Another is that while they claim to be about common humanity, on a personal level they can be very detached cold and insensitive, and inconsiderate. They seem narcissistic, self promoting and soulless. Very much an in it for me feeling, paradoxical to their politics. They give off a very cliquey and exclusionary aura, again in contradiction to inclusive political ideals. There is an odd, surpressed, unspoken judgementalism about them, like you have to meet the standards for authenticity and kudos and moral approval. When in fact humans are much more complex than that.
It's sort of like cool kids at school and having the right trainers when you're a kid or smoking weed. Again in contrast to what they project themselves as being about.
I don't like the atmosphere and I think their alternative slant makes them think they are much better. Actually quite mean spirited.

This is contrast to the genuinely nice people on the left who just hate the bull**** and evil sinister elements from the right.
So... you've come across people who are on the same side of the political spectrum as you, but are asses.

Either you're over thinking things, or you're just mixing with the wrong people. Do you know these people face to face or are these people you've met over the internet? Do you have personal relationships with them or do you only know of them?

Most of my friends are very liberal but none of them show the traits that you're describing, especially not with regards to politics.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
So... you've come across people who are on the same side of the political spectrum as you, but are asses.

Either you're over thinking things, or you're just mixing with the wrong people. Do you know these people face to face or are these people you've met over the internet? Do you have personal relationships with them or do you only know of them?

Most of my friends are very liberal but none of them show the traits that you're describing, especially not with regards to politics.
I wasn't referring to liberals. My side is the left. Benn Mcdonnell Corbyn, those politics. Not those individuals though. I'm referring to those people who have been online representing this spectrum.
Last edited by SaucissonSecCy; 10 months ago
The Mogg
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
This is because the political spectrum is not binary, it is more than just Left and Right.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I wasn't referring to liberals. My side is the left. Benn Mcdonnell Corbyn, those politics. I'm referring to those people.
So these aren't people you know in real life, I presume?
Joleee
Report 10 months ago
I wasn't really talking about Liberal so much as people on the left, a certain type.
okay sorry, i got emotional/misunderstood for a sec

i don't know any 'left wing' people, whatever that means.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
So these aren't people you know in real life, I presume?
No. Though an example off top of my head I've met another example I've
agreed with on Palestine. Judgemental and you have to get approval is their ethos. They are the authentic real deal with the deep feelings and convictions.
For the first time in my life, though I don't like them, I know what some Blair wing Labourites may be talking about.
Neilos
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Out of pure curiosity has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?
Yes, I'm fairly central, maybe a little bit to the left of centre, but I seem to find a lot of people in similar positions (at least in theory) to be quite dislikeable.

In the 'centre', it's usually the aggressive Remain types... people who can't write a sentence regarding Brexit without adding in some form of dig, snipe or sneer, and who claim to be more intelligent but still don't realise they're attacking non-existent bogeymen invented three years ago by their own side. They're theoretically near me, politically ('the centre'), but I find them very unpleasant (I'm a Brindifferent).

And a bit further left of me, the not-quite-Corbyn lefties who seem to view the 'working class' as a collection of pets that need nurturing, protecting and telling what to do. The sort who let everyone know they're on the side of the working class... until working class people don't do as they're told, then they become spiteful and nasty towards them.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Paul Mason has displayed good examples of his up himself ness and ego to illustrate this phenomenon.
dancehead
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I meet very few lefties who are nice people but there are a few out there, one of which happened to be a real mate. We'd never agree on that stuff but we just agreed to disagree. There are more important things in life between people than petty left vs right arguements. In the end we are all the same
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No. Though an example off top of my head I've met another example I've
agreed with on Palestine. Judgemental and you have to get approval is their ethos. They are the authentic real deal with the deep feelings and convictions.
For the first time in my life, though I don't like them, I know what some Blair wing Labourites may be talking about.
You're not making much sense.

You're describing very strong emotional responses about people you've never even met face to face.
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
You're not making much sense.

You're describing very strong emotional responses about people you've never even met face to face.
No some I have, that was an example. On Palestine.
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No some I have, that was an example. On Palestine.
Ok, so... how many people have you met in total who are like this?
SaucissonSecCy
Rep:
?
Ok, so... how many people have you met in total who are like this?
Is this an interrogation or a discussion rainman? What does it matter? Online is interaction, politics and personality all at once. Place to gauge it all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.53%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.23%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.72%

Watched Threads