Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I can do maths visually without pen or paper. I just imagine the equation or expression and manipulate it graphically. It usually helps to close my eyes :P.

But with pen and paper it's not very visual initially. If I come a cross a problem, I do use visualisations to make sure I'm on the correct track. For example if I have to differentiate a function, I can usually visualise the graph of the function, and from that I can visualise the graph of it's derivative, then I check the equation I have for my derivative, and see if the visual for that is the same for the previous visual. That's just an example though, with differentiating I just integrate to check, but you get the idea. Also, I tend to associate some functions with certain colours and stuff too. For example I associate sine with red, cos with blue... which is handy because I also associate tan with purple, which makes it easy to recall that tan = sin/cos, since mixing my associated colours would give purple, for tan :P.

So, yes, my maths is quite visual.

Then again I am an Engineering student, so maybe what you say about 'physicists' and 'rules of thumb' is true when it comes to visual mathematics... perhaps pure mathematicians aren't as visual.

I often visualise pieces of Maths when I'm not doing Maths, too. Sometimes, something comes into my head and sticks there. For example, the other day, I was trying to envisage solution curves for the differential equation \frac{dy}{dx} = -(\frac{x}{y})^n for different values of n, that was a strange one. Also, trying to differentiate and integrate the Lambert W function, proving the SHM formula and trying (and failing, even when I later tried it on paper) to derive a similar result for \frac{d^3x}{dt^3} = -\omega^2 t. The funny thing is, half the time when this is happening, it's all subconcious, and I don't even realise I'm thinking about it, and I'm often doing something else.

I'm a ****ing weirdo.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    Anything with more then three dimensions and anything that involves infinity.
    Anything in more than three dimensions I will view as projections into three dimensions. "Anything that involves infinity" could mean anything, but I assume you mean limits, in which case I see number lines and sequences and graphs and stuff. Or a Riemann sphere.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by tommm)
    I often visualise pieces of Maths when I'm not doing Maths, too. Sometimes, something comes into my head and sticks there. For example, the other day, I was trying to envisage solution curves for the differential equation \frac{dy}{dx} = -(\frac{x}{y})^n for different values of n, that was a strange one. Also, trying to differentiate and integrate the Lambert W function, proving the SHM formula and trying (and failing, even when I later tried it on paper) to derive a similar result for \frac{d^3x}{dt^3} = -\omega^2 t. The funny thing is, half the time when this is happening, it's all subconcious, and I don't even realise I'm thinking about it, and I'm often doing something else.

I'm a ****ing weirdo.
    Eh, I do similar things.

ReputationRep:
    I find that I'm only visual with maths when I need to be. If there's a predetermined formula which computes the answer, I don't waste my "thought energy" and don't think about things visually. But in STEP say [I've been sad enough to try some questions, yes], I sit there for long periods of time to construct a method visually to the extent that the method is very precise; then I answer the question.

(Original post by tommm)

I'm a ****ing weirdo.
    I do that consciously, but not subconsciously lol.

Seems like maths is a large part of your life

ReputationRep:
    I think most mathematicians think visually. It certainly helps the memory and the intuition.

OP. You're not likely to do much at A level. I mean, algebraic manipulation doesn't really have a picture. But at uni, there are loads of things. Most definitions and therems in topology (that's about 130 definitions and 70 theorems in a first course) have a picture. Proof of the existence of the Laurent expansion in complex analysis is probably best remembered by the picture. Most of linear algebra can be reduced to pictures in R^3. When you start group theory, quotient groups, the first isomorphism theorem and group actions all have pictures. Field theory kind of has a picture but it's not a very good one.

What tends to happen is you use pictures initially, and then you develop a feel for when you need to use certain results and do away with the pictures. Especially when things get more abstract or intricate.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I was both a Maths and an art student so was expected to be able to link the two, but never quite got the hang of it until last year; I had a great Alevel FMaths teacher who stressed the importance of presenting even abstract mathmetics in a visual form...I think you need someone to point it out to you properly; but once the notion's stuck in your head it never leaves...I reckon it's significantly improved my understanding of maths I never got the hang of combining my artistic part of my brain with my mathematic side though...it's odd the way in which I visualise and think about both is completely different...sometimes I think my maths is aesthetically prettier than my art

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 27, 2009

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.