The Student Room Group

Why are lawyers paid so much?

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure the modal salary for lawyers is a lot less than the mean salary would suggest they make....
Original post by In My Mind
It makes no sense to me.

Why do you think they are paid a lot?
You do realise theres a big spread of salaries and many get modest salaries.
Do you understand what they do and how they get the jobs in the first place?
You say it makes no sense but you dont say why or give any reasons, which makes you sound , naive, ignorant , simple or just a troll.
Original post by londonmyst
I dare you.
As long as it does not involve any jokes about my breakup, stalker ex or his attempts to ruin my life. :tongue:

Has that all happened tonight. Sounds exciting.
Original post by 999tigger
You say it makes no sense but you dont say why or give any reasons, which makes you sound , naive, ignorant , simple or just a troll.

Most people are ignorant when it comes to what lawyers actually do.
I thought all lawyers made a ton of money.
Turns out in my area the average salary is 35k (I can make 45k+ as a hgv driver). A lot of lawyers are on even less than this especially when starting out.
It is quite startling how much the pay varies in the field.
Who knows.
Lawyers are seen as highly intelligent, quick while having great attention to detail, when in reality most are not very bright and are infact very bad at there jobs.
If you find a good lawyer hold onto them, they are very hard comeby these days.

Exactly like how in many jobs you only get 4 weeks a year off and on top of that have to probably have to work long hours and do more work when you come home?? (Sounds like a crazy job to me despite me arguing all of the time and relatives saying I should become one? 😶)
only deleted it because the thread is getting InTellectUaL now and has no room for my dumb derailing.
(edited 4 years ago)
Has that all happened tonight. Sounds exciting.

Breakup was five years ago, stalking started again this year.
Tonight I've had dozens of voicemails and hundreds of his spams crash my email again. :angry:
I dare you.
As long as it does not involve any jokes about my breakup, stalker ex or his attempts to ruin my life. :tongue:

Post #18 lol

Your dating life needs a YouTube channel of its own. :rofl: 100% would subscribe. [Mean this in a good way btw]
Breakup was five years ago, stalking started again this year.
Tonight I've had dozens of voicemails and hundreds of his spams crash my email again. :angry:

Have you reported him to the police for harassment yet? You have an existing injunction against him?
More intellectual; than the OP.
Think we are getting an understanding why things dont make sense to the OP as they havent managed to string together anything that resembles them knowing what they are talking about. They also show no interest in having things explained to them.
Someone enjoys their work a little too much.
Have you reported him to the police for harassment yet? You have an existing injunction against him?

He's the type of lawyer that believes the law applies to everyone else.
The police have told him to stay away from me alone many times over the years but he never listens.
He knows they won't arrest him because he's doesn't have a criminal record, has never been violent or threatened to be and is politically connected.
Doubt any uk or american court would issue a restraining order against him.
He's the type of lawyer that believes the law applies to everyone else.
The police have told him to stay away from me alone many times over the years but he never listens.
He knows they won't arrest him because he's doesn't have a criminal record, has never been violent or threatened to be and is politically connected.
Doubt any uk or american court would issue a restraining order against him.

At some stage it becomes harassment though, cant you seek a private prosecution if he wont go away.
There really are some messed up people. I can see why people get a cat or dog.
Stay safe.
because going to jail is not fun
I try not to explain my poor jokes, it gets awkward. Sorry.

You would have to be a fool to mock another person for working hard. :confused: I don't intentionally mock people I respect and never for traits I value.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
No.
Sociopaths that can't stand relationships ending on somebody else's terms can behave this way at any age.

My friend has a jerk ex that has make her life hell for two years, after she kicked him out for sleeping around and freeloading off her.
She's 34, he's 23.
Union Jack wearing bulldog enjoys playing with his lego and chewing it occasionally. :biggrin:
Original post by In My Mind
Quite a few jobs are complicated but aren’t paid highly

Its a market, & not all lawyers are well paid but those in big corporate firms or top barristers do, why? because there clients want their expertise & are willing to write the check.

If your a company hiring a firm for a new £50-100M contract, it makes sense to pay a £000s to get the best deal, if your dealing with IP, you want to make sure competitors cant legally steal your stuff, if your facing a giant case and the lawyer quality is the difference between going to jail for manslaughter or a unpreventable accident and you can afford a top lawyer, I suspect you'll write the check.

The law has big implications, hence people will pay what they feel is appropriate for their situation, as i say plenty of lawyers dont make big bucks, but the best ones do.
Because they can. Not that many people have their expertise and they are greatly needed so they take advantage of that and charge highly.
Eh depends what you mean by a lot, depends on if you’re a solicitor vs barrister, depends what area of law.

Why do you think they should earn less than they do right now? Not attacking you, I’m curious to hear your opinion. The lawyers I know, which in all fairness is a grand total of 2, work a LOT of hours and it tends to be draining.

Quick Reply

Latest