Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lofty)
    If it's any use, i did Peter Pan a few years back, and we projected Tinkerbell on. She was a real person, filmed, shrunk, then lots of firey effects applied :-) And as a bonus, since projectors are usually nowhere near as bright as followspots, don't usually have *too* much of an issue with seeing the light in the haze.
    That is a VERY cool idea. There is a problem with the way projectors still project something even when the screen is all black... we don't have ones good enough to have built in shutters so there's normally some contraption rigged up involving dropping a (flameproofed!) piece of card over the lens. Of course then it'd mean even if it was projecting "black" except for Tinkerbell you'd still be able to see the edges of the "screen". Also in general video seems to mean your play becomes 4x more complicated as we always end up having to faff during the get-in to find the one place (there is always only one place) the desired effect will work from, completely screwing up plans for lighting and flying set nearby. Then there's the fact that the only two techies who know how to make video stuff work in our theatre have graduated.

I want something that's like a cross between a projector and a followspot. Hmph.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MumboJumbo)
    Haha, no worries

That's quite a course change! What do you think to the University? Enjoying the course?

MJ
    Umm... do i. I prefer the course, Marine Biology was fun, but really just not what i could see my future career being... but i preferred Bangor Uni a hundred fold. London is OK, but there are a lot of foreign students, lived with a lot of overseas students who i found it hard to communicate with, lots of mature students, and surprisingly, being in central London, very antisocial!

On my course, most of the guys commute in every day too, which adds to it i guess, but i'm loving it really! Course director (Jonathan Banatvala) is incredible too, will bend over backwards for anyone :-)

(Original post by thefish_uk)
    That is a VERY cool idea. There is a problem with the way projectors still project something even when the screen is all black... we don't have ones good enough to have built in shutters so there's normally some contraption rigged up involving dropping a (flameproofed!) piece of card over the lens. Of course then it'd mean even if it was projecting "black" except for Tinkerbell you'd still be able to see the edges of the "screen". Also in general video seems to mean your play becomes 4x more complicated as we always end up having to faff during the get-in to find the one place (there is always only one place) the desired effect will work from, completely screwing up plans for lighting and flying set nearby. Then there's the fact that the only two techies who know how to make video stuff work in our theatre have graduated.
    Yeah, this is very true. We kind of overcame that problem as we were in a fairly large venue with the projector at the back of the auditorium, so the amount of light spilling out was negligible really, and it was panto, so quite bright all the time anyway :-)

How about.... gaffa tape a projector to the top of a follow spot, point in another direction when she isn't on :p:

See, gaffa tape does do everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    That is a VERY cool idea. There is a problem with the way projectors still project something even when the screen is all black... we don't have ones good enough to have built in shutters so there's normally some contraption rigged up involving dropping a (flameproofed!) piece of card over the lens. Of course then it'd mean even if it was projecting "black" except for Tinkerbell you'd still be able to see the edges of the "screen".
    I tried running a search but I couldn't find what I wanted, I read something on a forum, I think it may well have been Control Booth, but someone made a shutter for a projector out of an old CD drive. A bit of scrap metal sheet in the hole, and a bit of rewiring to put in a battery and a switch and they could control opening and closing the disk tray as they wanted. then rig to the front of the projector and you have a working shutter.

However, your point still stands with the positioning, it is horribly difficult to get something like that positioned. I can't imagine that the actual projection work would be too difficult though...it's just a case of having a little fairy running around for a bit repeated lots and lots of times, then you can have it running through the whole performance and all is sorted.

MJ

ReputationRep:
    I'm a techie *waves hand like a moron then coughs*

I've been working in a am-dram theatre for 3 years running my own shows doing both lighting and sound and at the same time I've been doing a BTEC National Dip in Technical Theatre and going onto Hull College again for my Foundation Degree in Technical Theatre (so if anyone is coming to Hull this year... lemme know!!!). I do a fair bit of freelance work around Hull (and going to the fringe!) but I don't set myself as a Stage Manager/Lampie/Noisey ect... I like to get into everything so the term "techie" doesn't bother me... in fact that's how everyone at the college know us by. Just like we call the performers "animated props" well we don't do it to their faces anyway.

I am doing it as a career... but eventually after getting a fair bit of experience I want to teach it to colleges/Universities. It's just an incredible job... can't see myself being in cruddy office jobs because I just get bored and not do the work. Whilst when you're working on a production you have TONS of stuff to do

just a quick question guys... ok lets make it two...

1.) best techie quote/joke?
    2.) best technical production show you've seen (like the best lighting/set/sound... that sort of thing)

ReputationRep:
    What do you call the smouldering black mess on the lighting batten?
    An actor trying to change a light bulb.

As for the best technical production it's a hard call.

Cats was very impressive on its recent UK tour, especially the followspotting of Mistoffelees! The set was exquisite, Napier was very clever sneaking his name onto the set so many times! It was a typical Napier set to be honest, incredibly clever, well thought out and wonderfully effective. The walk up to heaven was very well executed and just generally very good. The lighting and sound design was also top class.

The other to choose would be Beauty and the Beast, the lighting design was exceptional, and the set was again very very clever, the majority of it automated using a tracked floor. They had to extend my local theatre's stage by about 4metres to fit the fake floor on!

So yeah, I can't decide between the two.

Is everyone else as sad as me, as soon as you get into the theatre you sit down and look up and start reeling off a list of the lanterns being used and gel numbers to your friends?

MJ

ReputationRep:
    A few good techie-related funnies here that you've probably seen already: http://www.nic.com/~porkchop/onstage/index.html

Sadly I haven't seen enough particularly fancy shows to comment on which is the best. The one show I've seen in the west end (The Producers) impressed me with its scene changes (flying things sideways, ridiculously big pieces of trucking set) but I know that compared to some shows it's probably quite lame.

At the moment most of the theatre I see is in the university theatre meaning I likely helped rig the lanterns and I'm likely sat next to another techie so I don't find myself pointing out gel numbers! But it is amusing going with techies on theme park rides like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at Alton Towers. It's one of those indoor boat ride things where you go past a load of scenes, and it's lit using ordinary theatrical lanterns, so there's my friends saying "Oooh, Source 4 PAR! Oooh, lots of ickle birdies!".

Anyway, I'm not really a hardcore enough lampie to be able to identify any gel numbers except 103 and 202 (that's straw and daylight in Lee filters).

Oh... and I love May Ball season... for one week a year (after exams) we have balls in our colleges at university, basically meaning lots of professional techies descending on the place and filling it with all manner of pretty lights and things. And paid work for those student techies who can be bothered to go out looking for it.

ReputationRep:
    What do you call the smouldering black mess on the lighting batten?
    An actor trying to change a light bulb.
    :rofl: Love it!!

Is everyone else as sad as me, as soon as you get into the theatre you sit down and look up and start reeling off a list of the lanterns being used and gel numbers to your friends?
    Nah you're not the only one! I do it all the time... even if it's a theatre I know so well, I will just sit before the production starts up looking at all the technical aspects... did it when I went to see Wicked and my mum was like "I don't know what you're talking about!!"

ReputationRep:
    I was a Drama & AV Technician at a school for my gap year! Mostly learning as I went along.

I've uploaded a photo of my "handy work" as Lighting Design/Direction for the Wizard of Oz.

I hate projectors, at least them being used in performance. However, at my Uni we have a really high tech projector. I've yet to see it in use but am assured it is AWESOME. It moves just like intelligent lights, and can change shape et cetera!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Mortell)
    I hate projectors, at least them being used in performance. However, at my Uni we have a really high tech projector. I've yet to see it in use but am assured it is AWESOME. It moves just like intelligent lights, and can change shape et cetera!
    Something like that is exactly what'd be great for my show... grrr!

ReputationRep:
    I suspect something like the High End Systems DL series, or the Robe Digital Spot.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    heya i'm a techie ! (i think)

done sound design for shows and lighting design for others...erm usually am the performaer though, but this time (for my career) it's producing, directing and writing.
    so, i need lots of good crew to work with

found you all! yay!

ReputationRep:
    Hey Francescarella,

Congrats on getting into Central!! Is the Performance Arts strand effectively Theatre Studies; looking at the history, the effects it has on people and society etc?

Good luck with the Producing/Directing/Writing!! Have you done much writing of scripts before? (Reason for asking being that if you've written a 25-30minute drama I may be interested in Staging it!)

If you ever want a hand with ideas for technical stuff I'm sure we're all keen to help, feel free to PM!

MJ
    x
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hey Francescarella,

Congrats on getting into Central!! Is the Performance Arts strand effectively Theatre Studies; looking at the history, the effects it has on people and society etc?

Good luck with the Producing/Directing/Writing!! Have you done much writing of scripts before? (Reason for asking being that if you've written a 25-30minute drama I may be interested in Staging it!)

If you ever want a hand with ideas for technical stuff I'm sure we're all keen to help, feel free to PM!

MJ
    x

thankyou erm my course is for directors, producers and writers, so that's what i'll be doing i know in my second year my course members (all ten of us lol) put on The Accidental Festival, at the ICA in London. but ive never written a script in my life lol! ive made a synopsis for a musical and started the libretto, but it's rubbish lol i have no idea where to start, so its a good job im off to Central!

oh actually that reminds me- in our 2nd and 3rd year we have to put on "in house" productions, and one of them is Les Liasons Dangereuses by Christpher Hampton.....so im not sure if we'll modernise it, but any ideas on how to create a dark, seductive and treachourous atmosphere onstage would be most helpful!!!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like good fun, I attempted a musical once...never managed to get past the synopsis though!

As for dark, seductive and treacherous; blood red sounds like the colour of the day to me...along with some kind of scaffold set with various red drapings down/across the scaffolding, then some open white and steel blue break-up gobos on the drapes. Lots of red back and top light, some white from the upper sides. Just a quick thought (Y) lol

MJ
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Sounds like good fun, I attempted a musical once...never managed to get past the synopsis though!

As for dark, seductive and treacherous; blood red sounds like the colour of the day to me...along with some kind of scaffold set with various red drapings down/across the scaffolding, then some open white and steel blue break-up gobos on the drapes. Lots of red back and top light, some white from the upper sides. Just a quick thought (Y) lol

MJ
    gobos are the ones with the patterned filters? i was thinking red as well, maybe like a deep rich majestic purple and deep bold gold (i was channelling the assassination of Caesar (for dark and treachorous) and thought of ancient Roman colours lol). i have no ideas for set yet but i guess theres plenty of time to discuss that lol. it's supposed to be set in 18th century i think, so who knows if we'll stick to a period setting or try to be experimental and modernise it. though to be honest, that would be like putting Cruel Intentions onstage. haha.

out of interest, where did/are you study/ing?

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for entry September 2009 at the moment.

Looking at CSSD, Royal Welsh, Guildhall etc for Technical&Prod. Management/Stage Management/Technical Theatre.

Yeah Gobos are steel circles with a patten cut out; they're used in profile spots, they aren't put in the gel frame at the very front of the lantern but in the gobo slot.

MJ
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'm applying for entry September 2009 at the moment.

Looking at CSSD, Royal Welsh, Guildhall etc for Technical&Prod. Management/Stage Management/Technical Theatre.

Yeah Gobos are steel circles with a patten cut out; they're used in profile spots, they aren't put in the gel frame at the very front of the lantern but in the gobo slot.

MJ
    ooh glad to see cssd there actually if im there on your interview day and you let me know who you are, i can try to put in a good word for you (each group has a current central student at the interview who gives feedback about the applicants to the admissions people and course leaders)

yeah i thought i remembered what gobos were- thankyou for clearing that up for me lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cadaeibfeceh)
    I've heard different things about LOTR - some people saying it was amazing (just general public) and others (co-techies) saying it was rubbish...
    From an acting/singing point of view, it was crap. The person playing Gandalf thought he was in panto, Aragorn couldn't sing at all and there wasn't anyone that stood out that much.

From a technical point of view, It's amazing!

Anyway, I'm stage manager at my school and I'm a member of the Young People's Theatre in Bath. I'm also going for an interview with the National Youth Theatre next year. I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to do it as a job though.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.