eclark334
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I'm currently approaching my advanced english dissertation but I'm stuck for topics. My initial ideas were to explore the themes alienation/isolation/morality in Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Despair by Vladimir Nabokov, or also look at Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov.

My favoured idea was to explore childhood innocence/how a child's perspective influences the narration in books like 'When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit' and 'The Book Thief' or 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas', taking into account the gravity of the situation through a child's eyes, but I've been told that those books aren't of high enough caliber to use. Does anyone know any similar books at a higher level on a similar topic?

And, finally, I had the idea of exploring childhood innocence or morality again, perhaps with Lord of the Flies (although I'm not sure that would be of high enough caliber to use either), Lolita, etc...

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Lord of the Flies is an excellent choice in my opinion as long as you use good vocabulary to describe the slow change from innocence to savagery. However, students do study the book at key stage 3 level so it might no be considered the best. Maybe Oliver Twist with a lot of social historical context...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.06%
No - I have already returned home (21)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (35)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.47%

Watched Threads