Music Tastes

Watch
RedAli23
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
In the last few years, the genre of rap and grime has surged in terms of popularity. Personally, I dislike this genre of music (except for a few decent songs). See, I'm a metal/mathcore person as I listen to bands like Architects, I PREVAIL, Bring Me The Horizon and While She Sleeps.

I have a few questions:
-> Do you think it's better to have some variety and listen to more than one genre of music?
-> Are there any music genres that you can't stand?
-> Would you make assumptions on someone's personality based on what music they listen to? (In my opinion, we should never do this)
-> Is there an old music genre that you think needs reviving or deserves more attention?

Thanks.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by RedAli23)
In the last few years, the genre of rap and grime has surged in terms of popularity. Personally, I dislike this genre of music (except for a few decent songs). See, I'm a metal/mathcore person as I listen to bands like Architects, I PREVAIL, Bring Me The Horizon and While She Sleeps.

I have a few questions:
-> Do you think it's better to have some variety and listen to more than one genre of music?
-> Would you make assumptions on someone's personality based on what music they listen to? (In my opinion, we should never do this)
-> Is there an old music genre that you think needs reviving or deserves more attention?

Thanks.
I like my rock and metal, I don't mind some country music but I am very set in the type of music I like. To me it has to have a good guitar riff and a meaning to the song. I can't stand Hip Hop or RnB, I don't like the cheesy pop music either.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I listen to allsorts but not much electronic stuff, or at least not much electronic stuff any more (used to be big into trance and psytrance)

I can;t be arsed hating on music genres, I just avoid tracks I don't like and listen to ones that I do. I think it is always better to have variety in these things, it stretches the mind and that can only be good, imo
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I haven't met a genre I can't vibe to at least one song in. Although, my go to is somewhere around Folk Psych Prog Rock? I love Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, ELO, some of Matt Berry's stuff, and late Beatles. I think Dodie and Janis Ian vaguely fit into the more folky side of this. I'll pretty much listen to most English Folk music, and I do enjoy a good Lancashire Sword dance or Morris Dancer.

I also quite enjoy musical Theatre soundtracks, and the works of Gilbert and Sullivan. That leads me into a general appreciation for Opera and Classical music. Shostakovitch is one of my favourite composers. Then I also have a vague appreciation for country? I quite like things like Marty Robbins. More Modern Bro Country isn't so much my thing. Oh, and that reminds me that I do really like Roy Orbison and Bob Dylan, so by extension, The Travelling Wilburys.
Manitude
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

I have a few questions:

Thanks.
1) Yes, absolutely. Nobody should constrict themselves to one genre.
2) Yes, grime and metalcore are among them.
3) Yes, because of meeting many people who fit into the stereotype about certain genres. Having said that, within my own "scene" I've found great friends, but also people I really have no time for
4) Yes, 70s disco. Daft Punk's Get Lucky was a fantastic start, but we really need more. Maybe it's out there, but I'm possibly too far into my black/folk metal/70s prog rock bubble to know about it.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I listen to a variety of music but mostly indie rock, modern punk, classic rock and underground hip-hop with a splash of heavy metal and hard rock. I like a bit of house music too but not too much!

The genres I really can’t stand are drum and bass (it’s literally just noise) and any sort of British rap. Literally all the rap and hip hop in my collection comes from the US.

It’s good to enjoy all sorts of things and have an appreciation of different music. I kinda think 70s rock should get more love from younger ppl but then I’ve been to loads of Bruce Springsteen concerts in the last decade and there’s been a load of teenagers and other folks in their 20s there loving the shows and singing along
Reubski
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

I have a few questions:

Thanks.
skanky drum & bass
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (136)
58.87%
No (52)
22.51%
Not sure (43)
18.61%

Watched Threads