The Student Room Group

When to call it quits?

Advice very much needed regarding an ongoing issue with a 09 Chevrolet Aveo.

The above car was purchased 15 months ago, while I was in fairly urgent need of something, anything, that would do a monthly long distance journey between Liverpool and Bath (for University), alongside city driving at either end. I'm fairly certain I overpaid for the car (1.5k), and minor fixes (fuel filler cover, broken boot latch among others) promised to us by the seller were not resolved despite repeated contact on my part. The car managed 12 months of event free driving, but a monster MOT (over £700) in September this year, alongside a recent misfiring issue (likely coil pack problem, possible bigger engine problem) have meant that I have spent close to 2.5k on a car that is unlikely to resell at more than £700. As a result I am strongly considering a new vehicle.

As a non-car person in all but the most basic sense, I rely wholly on mechanics/other experts to guide my decision-making. That said, my confidence in the the car's ongoing suitability is reducing almost daily.

I am hoping someone out there can provide some advice/thoughts on how much longer i persevere with a car that admittedly I have never liked, and is starting to look like more hassle than it is worth. My driving requirements are still the same, but having to continuously pay out for not insignificant fixes, I am wondering if I will have better luck putting that money towards a more reliable brand/newer car.

I could perhaps stretch to 3.5k on a secondhand car. Is this sufficient for my needs? What brands/models are better at this price range? Should I only consider cars with 12 months MOT and/or full service history and/or below a certain mileage and/or a certain number of previous drivers? I could go on with a list of questions. As I have only ever bought two cars I am keen to hear from someone more experienced in this area. Thanks.
Well you sound like you're making a pretty good case for a new car. About the only good thing you have to say about the current one is basically 'It was ok as a cheapie while it worked, now it isn't'

There's plenty to be said for choice, but for 3-3.5k yeah i'd expect to have a pretty decent choice of reliable used cars.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
Well you sound like you're making a pretty good case for a new car. About the only good thing you have to say about the current one is basically 'It was ok as a cheapie while it worked, now it isn't'

There's plenty to be said for choice, but for 3-3.5k yeah i'd expect to have a pretty decent choice of reliable used cars.

That about sums it up. It was fine for as long as it worked, and I would carry on with it (warts and all) if it was a cheap runner, but the cumulative costs are stacking up. New spark plugs going in today for a not unreasonable £70, fingers crossed that solves it for now.
All cars have servicing costs and replacement of semi consumable item costs. And cars can also have non consumable items that go wrong and need to be replaced.

I allow about £1000 per year per car for repairs and servicing. That includes tyre costs, which tends to be a fairly large chunk of ongoing running costs, as I generally go for premium brand tyres (£320 to £600 for a set of 4 tyres depending on the car).

At £1500 your car provided you with cheap motoring for the first year.
The £700 MOT might have been the time to scrap it. Might also have been time to get a 2nd opinion / MOT test.

If the £2.5k that you say you've spent on the car includes the purchase price, then I'd say it's been a good cheap car.
If it goes up to a total of £3.5k by December 2020 it's still been a good cheap car.

For older cars I have a strong preference for certain diesel engines, for their reliability, longevity and good mpg for the performance.

If you buy a car for £3.5k, you can still expect mechanical and tyre costs in the first year of ownership.

If you could teach yourself to do some basic repairs and servicing, you would save yourself a nice bundle of money in the medium term. In the short term some of the savings would be set against buying the tools.
With the amount of youtube videos out there, there's never been an easier time to tackle car jobs yourself. Starting with your coil pack. Buy a replacement coil pack from a scrapyard and replace it yourself. It's a simple 10 minute job.

On the one hand it makes economical sense to run your Chevy to the levee and into the ground. On the other, if you don't like it, you should change. Although be aware that all the nicest motorway cruisers for under £3.5k would be crazily expensive for a student to insure.

If I were in your position, I'd sell the Chevy and buy an Audi A2 1.4 TDi 75 BHP from the A2OC forum and I'd budget £170 for fitting cruise control to it.
Reply 4
Some great advice. Thanks. It's possible I'm jumping the gun a little due to the ongoing cost, but I see your point with regards to the ongoing expense. New sparkplugs fitted today. Let's hope that's all for now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending