Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    for a sunburn...
    now! I can't go out and buy anything everyone's sleeping and I'm burning!
    took a cold shower and put aloe on... still burning... any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    any after sun lying about at all?

ReputationRep:
    ^ Seconded.

Also, I know it sounds stupid, but try and go to sleep! If you can just last long enough that you fall asleep, you won't feel anything. That logic worked with other injuries I've had anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdu11)
    any after sun lying about at all?
    no... I'm not at my regular house...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    ^ Seconded.

Also, I know it sounds stupid, but try and go to sleep! If you can just last long enough that you fall asleep, you won't feel anything. That logic worked with other injuries I've had anyway.
    I hear the logic... but I'm not really tired...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123monster)
    I hear the logic... but I'm not really tired...
    Oh.

Err...sit on a chair (don't lean against the back!) and work or watch TV until you do feel tired? If you still don't want to go to bed, hopefully someone will be up to buy you some aftersun by then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    Oh.

Err...sit on a chair (don't lean against the back!) and work or watch TV until you do feel tired? If you still don't want to go to bed, hopefully someone will be up to buy you some aftersun by then.
    good idea... I'll go to bed and lay on my side and wath a dvd till I get really tired... thanx!

ReputationRep:
    Put some after sun or Sudocrem on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    Put some after sun or Sudocrem on it.
    we don't have anything here...

ReputationRep:
    we don't have anything here...
    No moisturiser?

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Wiki)
    The pain and burning associated with a sunburn can be relieved with a number of different remedies applied to the burn site. The skin can be hydrated by applying topical products containing Aloe vera and/or vitamin E, which reduce inflammation. Hydrocortisone cream may also help reduce inflammation and itching. Avoid the use of benzocaine, lidocaine, and butter; these are false remedies which can prevent healing and damage skin but relieve pain. When treating open sores caused by a sunburn, like any other open skin wound, it is best to avoid lotions or other directly-applied ointments. However, antibacterial solutions and gauze can prevent skin infections.

There are two home remedies which have been known to help. One method involves applying a clean washcloth soaked with cool (not cold) milk, in the form of a cold compress. In addition to the cool temperature, a protein film will form to soothe the pain and the lactic acid will help reduce inflammation. A solution of diluted white cider vinegar (approx. 1 cup in a tub of water) applied in a similar fashion may also ease pain.

ReputationRep:
    for a sunburn...
    now! I can't go out and buy anything everyone's sleeping and I'm burning!
    took a cold shower and put aloe on... still burning... any ideas?
    run a cold bath and lie in it for a while
    cold showers dont work as well

ReputationRep:
    thanx... I ended up falling asleep and the housekeeper got me a cream today... thanx everyone!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.