Turn on thread page Beta

Sasha: Beauty Queen At 11: What Do You Think About It? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I too thought the mum was very Jade Goody-esque.

it was very revealing when they were looking at the trophies, sashes etc and the organiser said to the mum "can you imagine your daughter with that?" and the mum immediately said "I can imagine me wearing it" - definitely NOT about her daughter's dreams, but hers!

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is 'I want to be in Hollyoaks' Kind of says it all about her mind and direction-xx

ReputationRep:
    Your shocked by an 11 year old beauty queen? JonBenet Ramsey was beauty queen at 6. I agree that she should be left to live her childhood but there are so many parents who want to realsie there own dream through their kids, those dreams are just less public. If you want your child to be a beauty queen wait til she is old enough to be really beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    I watched it last night. Disturbing stuff. One of the beauty queens grandma's described her grandaughter as her "hobby" wtf?

Yeah the mum did seem rather pushy. And LOL at the girl describing herself as "blonde, pretty and stupid" or whatever it was. Lovely. And she said she'd rather be pretty and working in McD's than ugly and with a good job. Shallow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Rose)
    The girl wasn't interested. I hated the way they said "dance" like she was their monkey or something and then hurled insults at her when she didn't want to. It was a public place she wasn't being unreasonable.

And when the lady said to her "could you see this (the sash) on your daughter?" and she held it and looked at it and said "I could see it on me".

I think the woman was totally superficial and unintelligent if she can't think what harm she could be doing to her daughter, she it can all come off but that is hardly the point, the point is, what she is falsely teaching her daughter. She may not think she's teaching her but it's the example she's setting. For fun it's harmless but this is a full time thing for her with the bleach and hair extensions and makeup. She's treating it like a career when the girl is only 11.

And though they can come off (except the bleach which must be damaging the kids real hair bleaching from such a young age), she doesn't ever take them off, she never lets the kid be herself, be like other kids. It should be a hobby that when it's time to go to school, you get the normal Sacha back again.

She's deeply implanting materialistic, physical ideas into her daughter's head. Who's to say that flop at school because she can't be bothered because she can reply on her looks because she's already won competitions she might think she doesn't need anything else, just to focus on that?

And too much focus is given to her, she's too young to be the focus of the family, the media etc.

It should be either a girl saying to her mum "can I enter that competition?" (Like Little Miss Sunshine) and the mother/family supporting her or someone suggesting that she enter and her liking the idea. Not "you are pretty, you will enter and you will win!"
    ^Completely agree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl001)
    Her mum needs a slap. Shes clearly living through her daughter and its pathetic. When GMTV called her and she was like "They called ME first, they want ME, I could turn this down if I wanted to and theyd have to find someone else, its all up to ME". **** off you deluded old slapper

And why do they bleach the girl's hair? It looks awful and will be ruined by the time shes 20
    ahh that annoyed me so much ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Your shocked by an 11 year old beauty queen? JonBenet Ramsey was beauty queen at 6. I agree that she should be left to live her childhood but there are so many parents who want to realsie there own dream through their kids, those dreams are just less public. If you want your child to be a beauty queen wait til she is old enough to be really beautiful.
    Did you see the programme on BBC4 about american beauty queen children? They start them in baby competitions at 6 months old!

There was another programme where they revisited some child beauty queens from 10 years ago, one of the was doing national competitions and training up 5 year olds and the other had grown out of it and was normal.
    But i think the second one had more choice and did it as it was fun whereas the first was there because her parents wanted the prizes.

ReputationRep:
    i hated the mother, she was awful. especially when she told sasha she would be grounded if she didn't get the modelling job thing. sheesh.
    and that calender she made of herself...!? she's unpleasant to look at to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    i haven't watched it, but i just read the article.
    it's really disturbing, and i can't believe that any mother would willingly put their child through so much hassle and embarrassment, not to mention bringing her up to be a superficial, materialistic bimbo!

ReputationRep:
    I hate the whole beauty pageant scene, with 5 year old girls plastered in makeup wearing slutty clothes. Shame on their parents!

ReputationRep:
    The mother saying "can I just enter it instead of her" completeluy summed it up. Poor girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scaryhair)
    The thing is, I don't think she is as beautiful as they all make her out to be. She just looks like a normal, pretty, 11 year old girl. There's nothing really special about her.
    Greeeeeeeeen with envy! We can't all be as fit as 11 year old, pre-pubescent girls.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh, I hate watching programmes like that they really irriate me.

ReputationRep:
    I watched a little bit of it. The kid is completely average and a bit chavvy which makes it all the more unbelivable her mum thinks shes gods gift to mankind. I did feel sorry for the girl though she blatantly didnt want to do loads of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    like many people i was seriously worried while watching it, i thought 'is this what our society is really coming to'

the fact that she says her idol is jordan is scary. it seemed as though her mum whats are to be a cheap tacky page 3 girl like she wanted to be. her mum was self centered and acted like a teenager.. the dad is a joke and pushover!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flash123)
    like many people i was seriously worried while watching it, i thought 'is this what our society is really coming to'

the fact that she says her idol is jordan is scary. it seemed as though her mum whats are to be a cheap tacky page 3 girl like she wanted to be. her mum was self centered and acted like a teenager.. the dad is a joke and pushover!!!
    Yeah, why are so many dads on tv like that. I don't see why more dads arent' like my dad and try to take a more active role in bringing up their children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Yeah, why are so many dads on tv like that. I don't see why more dads arent' like my dad and try to take a more active role in bringing up their children.
    it was clear that the dad hardly knew his daughter, he only saw the brave face she put on for most people. it was really sad actually, it makes me wonder why people like that (esp. the mother) even have kids.

ReputationRep:
    I saw that and thought it was absolutely vile. What mother really plasters her young daughter in fake tan and horrific make up and makes them parade in front of people. She looked like a mini drag queen!!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I watched the program on BBC iplayer this morning and I was horrified. What is happening to our society? It's a real wake up call seeing 11 year old children bleaching their hair, shovelling on the make up and having acrylic nails. I had acrylic nails fitted for the first time in my life two weeks ago, and now my nails are ruined, so I'd hate to think what's happened to her nails. How can her mother say that make up and fake tan has no real effect on children? She should take a good, hard look at her child's face when she's 20 years old, because I bet you there won't be much left of it. The program was absolutely disgusting, and it was immensely worrying to hear the child say "I'd rather be pretty and have a job in McDonalds than be ugly and clever". I blame the media for all of this. For an 11 year old to say "People just care about looks, not how clever you are", people should begin to realise that there is something terribly wrong with our society. 11 year olds should be playing in the streets and having fun, not having the beauty regime of a 30 year old. You can see the large influence that these glamour models and anorexic models are having on children and their families. Her mother is to blame, also. When they were in the car driving to Manchester she said "You better get this or else you're grounded!". What kind of a mother says that to their child? As said above, the dad was just a pushover, although he seemed to care more about his child than the mother.

ReputationRep:
    Its all for the mum. She's bitter that she never made it as a model, so she's forcing her daughter into it. I'm sure that kid would be perfectly normal if it wasn't for the mum. She came across as a complete superficial attention whore.
    Absolutely vile.

edit: rant time! This is sick, they're trying to justify this by saying that its what normal kids do, and its 'the times'. I'm sorry, but I was 11, what, 5/6 years ago? And I was NEVER like that. I was a kid, I liked animals and climbing trees. I was normal. ****ing disgusting, urgh urgh urgh. That girl looks older than me!

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.