hehe_x
Badges: 12
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm in year 12 right now doing the IB and I'm so unsure of what uni course to do while everyone around me seems to know already. On one hand I'm considering medicine as I have the grades (predicted 42 minimum atm) + am really passionate about bio + chem and the human body, but if I'm truly honest I don't think I have the determination to go through the 10 years or however long it takes and it seems like a really strenuous job when I could do nutrition which seems just as interesting, if not more, and is much shorter. The medicine idea was planted inside my head by my parents who are indirectly pressuring me into it and can't stand me even talking about nutrition. I know doctors get paid more but I don't want to kill myself over this job with no family/social life so nutrition seems to be the better option for me. I don't really know much about the actual nutrition course so I don't have a strong argument against my parents to convince them so can you please tell me every little detail, no matter how small, about this course and salary, jobs etc...
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by hehe_x)
can you please tell me every little detail, no matter how small, about this course and salary, jobs etc...
Have you heard of Google?
Greekdentist
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in year 12 right now doing the IB and I'm so unsure of what uni course to do while everyone around me seems to know already. On one hand I'm considering medicine as I have the grades (predicted 42 minimum atm) + am really passionate about bio + chem and the human body, but if I'm truly honest I don't think I have the determination to go through the 10 years or however long it takes and it seems like a really strenuous job when I could do nutrition which seems just as interesting, if not more, and is much shorter. The medicine idea was planted inside my head by my parents who are indirectly pressuring me into it and can't stand me even talking about nutrition. I know doctors get paid more but I don't want to kill myself over this job with no family/social life so nutrition seems to be the better option for me. I don't really know much about the actual nutrition course so I don't have a strong argument against my parents to convince them so can you please tell me every little detail, no matter how small, about this course and salary, jobs etc...
How about considering pharmacy or dentistry instead?
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You don't sound like you want to do medicine, you sound like your heart is set with nutrition and if this is the case you will probably do much better on the course and any nutrition related jobs
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't really know much about the actual nutrition course so I don't have a strong argument against my parents to convince them so can you please tell me every little detail, no matter how small, about this course and salary, jobs etc...
As I understand it, "nutrition" is a pretty woolly term in the sense that anyone can call themselves a "nutritionist" (and indeed, some quite dubious individuals and organisations do). I think what you're maybe more interested in is dietetics?

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ions/dietitian
HGS345
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You seem to have a quite a negative perception of life as a doctor. The degree itself is 5 years, after that you still need to do training to progress through ranks, but you'll be a qualified doctor after 5 years. You can stay as a Foundation Doctor all your life if you want to, and progress as and when you wish. Many doctors also have a very good work life balance, it just depends on what field you go into. E.g. As a salaried GP you can work 4 days a week, doing 8-9 hours, and have 3 days off, and they are paid pretty well. Many locum doctors also work 3 days per week (some even less) and get a hefty pay. It's fields like surgery where work life balance can be very difficult, but it is doable. Not to mention nutrition is a very specific field (you could get bored), whereas medicine is far more broad and covers everything. You could work part time as a doctor whilst also working in the field of nutrition. This is of course me being biased towards Medicine as I'm a medical student, however, I think you should properly think through the job prospects and what they truly entail, and think of them holistically.
Last edited by HGS345; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (100)
5.12%
Uncertainty around my education (292)
14.95%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (206)
10.55%
Lack of purpose or motivation (273)
13.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (85)
4.35%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.68%
Loneliness (170)
8.7%
Financial worries (70)
3.58%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.71%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.53%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (173)
8.86%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (187)
9.58%

Watched Threads