username4981956
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hello could someone please enlighten me to the Durham Colleges. Which ones would be a good idea to apply to, and what are their reputations.

Thanks in advance xxx
BrDy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey so there are 2 main groups of colleges, the bailey colleges (in the old part of town nad town centre) and the hill colleges (nearer science and newer) (and also Hild-bede which gets a lot of jokes for being in the middle of nowhere and located on the education site but is apparently quite nice).
Do you want self catered or catered is an important decision as colleges offer different ones, you can check that on the website, and also how important is an ensuite or non-shared accomodation to you? For example almost all rooms in St Chads are shared

Hatfield is the college everyone loves to hate and has a reputation of being full of pricks (this is not actually true, but inter-college rivalry is strong)

Josephine-butler (Jobo) is really far out (comparatively) and king of in the middle of nowhere

collingwood is known for being really sporty and they also have good theatre facilities, especially in regards to tech

aidans is really anti-drinking so everyone says

Castle- (my college) great, it's really nice, but quite oversubscribed only about 40% of applicants get castle rest get reallocated to another college so for example if you really DON'T want a certain college going for castle can be a risk. Also you only get a room in the castle itself if you're sharing but the other accomodation is still nice

I don't know that much about any of the other colleges in detail but here's the link to the number of ensuite, shared,s ingle and whether they are catered or not (be warned best rooms often go to 3rd years) https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/ourcolleges/

in regards to applying do you want self catered or fully catered etc, and otherwise just do you like the college, its not hugely important which one you apply to, but if you really want to avoid some colleges then don't apply to the really popular ones
beanie125
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
BrDy makes some really good points, it's a really good answer and every college definitely has it's own 'feel'. Colleges have their own stereotypes which are largely true, like collingwood being the sporty college etc, but that doesn't mean you won't fit in if you don't fit in. Tbh, I wouldn't get too set on a particular college because there's always the chance of getting moved. Make your decision based on whether you'd prefer to be in hill / bailey (modern vs traditional) and if self catered is better for you that will help narrow down. When I chose, I looked at statistics on how likely I would share a room based on colleges as you're more likely to do that in some than others - doesn't mean you'll get your own room for definite but if you're faced with 15% chance etc rather than 60% chance (i've made these up btw ,don't quote me!) and you like the sound of the college then that could be a factor. Tbh though, despite some stereotypes, all the colleges are great and have their own special bits. Everyone gets pretty loyal over their colleges because they produce some amazing experiences, but don't get disheartened if you get allocated somewhere else because chances are you might fall in love with it or make some of your best friends
username4981956
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by BrDy)
Hey so there are 2 main groups of colleges, the bailey colleges (in the old part of town nad town centre) and the hill colleges (nearer science and newer) (and also Hild-bede which gets a lot of jokes for being in the middle of nowhere and located on the education site but is apparently quite nice).
Do you want self catered or catered is an important decision as colleges offer different ones, you can check that on the website, and also how important is an ensuite or non-shared accomodation to you? For example almost all rooms in St Chads are shared

Hatfield is the college everyone loves to hate and has a reputation of being full of pricks (this is not actually true, but inter-college rivalry is strong)

Josephine-butler (Jobo) is really far out (comparatively) and king of in the middle of nowhere

collingwood is known for being really sporty and they also have good theatre facilities, especially in regards to tech

aidans is really anti-drinking so everyone says

Castle- (my college) great, it's really nice, but quite oversubscribed only about 40% of applicants get castle rest get reallocated to another college so for example if you really DON'T want a certain college going for castle can be a risk. Also you only get a room in the castle itself if you're sharing but the other accomodation is still nice

I don't know that much about any of the other colleges in detail but here's the link to the number of ensuite, shared,s ingle and whether they are catered or not (be warned best rooms often go to 3rd years) https://www.dur.ac.uk/experience/colleges/ourcolleges/

in regards to applying do you want self catered or fully catered etc, and otherwise just do you like the college, its not hugely important which one you apply to, but if you really want to avoid some colleges then don't apply to the really popular ones
Thanks for the reply!

I think I'd rather go into a bailey college, but one of the smaller ones (so not Castle), however, I'd prefer to be self-catered plus a single room. Do you know any colleges which this applies to?
BrDy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
St Cuths has self catered and is om the bailey. Techbically the self catered stuff (parsons field) is not on the Bailey but it's still only about 5 minutes from town centre and maybe 10 mins from the main site of the college so it's close still.
Castle and cuths are the only bailey colleges to have self catered options
beanie125
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes as BrDy says, the only self catered option that's part of a bailey college is Cuths - the self catered part is on parsons green which is right by the doctors (university health centre if you want to look at it on google maps)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.38%
I don't have everything I need (352)
43.62%

Watched Threads