Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    It depends which part of the English department you mean. Part of it is in Elvet Riverside (HB FTW), part on Old Elvet (HB FTW) and part on Hallgarth Street. The Hallgarth Street bit is where the admin goes on, so you need to go there to hand in assessed essays and if you need to visit the departmental office. However, I don't visit it very often. In any case, it's still only 20 mins from HB and I don't think it'd be quicker from most hill colleges
    OK. So are all seminars and tutorials in Elvet Riverside and Old Elvet?

What's the deal with all of this rennovation work going on in ER?

I may have given a poor overview of HB before (my Cuth's bias showing!). It has lovely grounds. I've spent many an hour in the grounds reading I just mention that it was especially strong in the sports (but I'll stress again that it's not compulsory).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    OK. So are all seminars and tutorials in Elvet Riverside and Old Elvet?
    Okay .... you got me. There are academics' offices on Hallgarth street It's still not that far though ...

What's the deal with all of this rennovation work going on in ER?
    What?!?!? :confused:

I may have given a poor overview of HB before (my Cuth's bias showing!). It has lovely grounds. I've spent many an hour in the grounds reading I just mention that it was especially strong in the sports (but I'll stress again that it's not compulsory).
    I like Cuth's too. It does have 2 bars ... I think it'd be one of my top colleges in Duzza. The sports thing seems really silly to me ... like saying you can't do law at Durham because it's so good at English!

(Yeah okay, that WAS a crap analogy.)

ReputationRep:
    One very important thing I forgot to mention...St Hilde and Bede does not have any ensuite accomodation. I never knew it was possible to place postgrad students in rooms with shared facilities...after all a postgrad spends many hours of the day in the room, logically...
    Anyway, I think I have been very late with accomodation, and I can not find anyhing at all...
    I am so upset and overwhelmed with stress...there are no rooms available any more I am afraid...do you think I will have more chances in September due to cancellations?

ReputationRep:
    i would go for durham, i think it has a slight edge in terms of humanities, and personally i would rather study in an environment where the buildings have not all been purpose built in the last 45 years.. but thats just my opinion, look around them both (if that is feasible) - then take your gut instinct (after having considered the course etc of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foteini86)
    One very important thing I forgot to mention...St Hilde and Bede does not have any ensuite accomodation. I never knew it was possible to place postgrad students in rooms with shared facilities...after all a postgrad spends many hours of the day in the room, logically...
    Anyway, I think I have been very late with accomodation, and I can not find anyhing at all...
    I am so upset and overwhelmed with stress...there are no rooms available any more I am afraid...do you think I will have more chances in September due to cancellations?
    That's true, but for ensuite you'd probably need to focus on the hill colleges and by the sounds of things that's not what you're going for. (I know this HB talk is irrelevant, but I went to a party some postgrads were having in the HB postgrad accommodation and it was amazing, really massive rooms! I think that's much more important than shared loos in a place you spend a lot of time.) When you say you can't find any, what do you mean? Is Cuth's full? Please don't worry, you have options. The most obvious one is to live out - there will always be people you can share with, particularly other postgrads in the same situation. In fact, I'm sharing with a postgrad next year, plus another person I don't know! It's possible there will be more spaces in September, but I don't know anything about it. I'd advise you to ring your college and talk to them, they should be able to offer you advice both about living in and about living out (or point you in the right direction with regards to the latter). There is an accomodation office in the student union but I'm not sure if it's open at this time of year.

Best of luck and really don't worry, there will be plenty of postgrads in the same position and you'll sort out something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Is Cuth's full?
    Undergrad only, I think,but they have been experiencing difficulty in filling Brooks House (they'll be another spare room there next year as I'm probably not going )

ReputationRep:
    oh my oh my, Jelkin thank you so much about the info, i have been terribly stressed out these days! It is just that I am SO excited about coming to Durham, and the programme looks great, and I have totally rejected the idea of going to Warwick. I just wanted everything to be perfect, and it was so negligent of my part to leave everything for the very last moment..I had this idea that booking a room could be done sometime during the summer, no rush :-(
    Now at least I feel that I am not going to live on the street :-))))))))
    Don't you think that living outside college I will be more isolated? Do you think that I still stand a chance to find something at a nice college?Hill or Bailey, right now I just don't care!!
    After all River85 had said about Cuthbert's, it was the first college I contacted. But they said that there were no rooms left, and when I suggested calling again near the end of August in case of a cancellation they said that there was no possibility that a single student wouldn't show up. River 85, have you already booked a room in which you won't be living after all?

ReputationRep:
    Hi foteini86,
    I'm starting a Masters program this fall and I'm in Hatfield College. I'll be living in Palatine House, Hatfield's designated postgraduate dorm. There are 45 single rooms there and they might still have room. They wanted a deposit by August 1st but you should check whether they have filled all the spots or not.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.