Is the Computer Science (reformed) GCSE well-regraded?

Watch
ragamuffin0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m considering taking Computer Science at GCSE because I want to study science in the future and think it might be beneficial (looking at astronomy; they use computer programs and stuff).

My other subjects are English Language, English Literature, Mathematics, Triple Science, Religious Studies (sigh) and Geography.

I’m currently in Year 9. My school hasn’t shared my predicted grades with me, and we’ve moved to this messed up assessment scheme called “Age Related Expectations” which is a load of rubbish. I have no idea what my current attainment is in regards to GCSE standards!

My only indications are that I’m a predicted 8 in English (they told me that one), I got 120 in all my SATs which essentially means that all my predicated grades are in the same region, and I’m currently scoring highly in end-of-unit tests. I really want to a study Natural Sciences at Cambridge.

I know universities don’t care what your GCSE subjects actually are, but I wanted to know whether Computer Science is generally well-regarded or not?

Like, ICT is definitely not well-regarded.
It’s not that I’m worried about what universities and sixth forms will think, I’m more worried about choosing a subject which is actually useful and challenging.

If anybody has experience in this GCSE I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Statistically Computer Science is one of the hardest GCSEs (along with modern languages) so it ought to be well regarded..
alewhi04
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Computer Science is definitely one of the most challenging subjects however it’s really worth it!
I’m currently in year 11 doing computer science GCSE and I’m really enjoying it as it’s actually very interesting.

Though Computer Science is not a facilitating subject it is still very well regarded by sixth forms and universities purely because it requires a lot of skill and proves that you work well with problem solving, challenges and being creative.

As you probably already know, the course consists of theory work and coding, which are both very challenging, however, once you begin to understand it, it’ll flow nicely. Coding is the much harder aspect as there isn’t always one correct answer to things, it requires you to think and create your own work using what you’ve been taught.

Jobs, that include computer science, are increasing rapidly recently, as technology plays a big part in everything we do. Therefore, having this skill will be very useful for the future!

Anyway, my biggest tip is to take the subject if you enjoy it. The more you enjoy a subject, the easier it’ll be!

Hope this helped, feel free to ask anymore questions if you need to!
username4878650
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
lovedd computer science gcse, its a less popular subject but is well-regarded, especially now. i'd say take it if youre interested!
ragamuffin0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by alewhi04)
Computer Science is definitely one of the most challenging subjects however it’s really worth it!
I’m currently in year 11 doing computer science GCSE and I’m really enjoying it as it’s actually very interesting.

Though Computer Science is not a facilitating subject it is still very well regarded by sixth forms and universities purely because it requires a lot of skill and proves that you work well with problem solving, challenges and being creative.

As you probably already know, the course consists of theory work and coding, which are both very challenging, however, once you begin to understand it, it’ll flow nicely. Coding is the much harder aspect as there isn’t always one correct answer to things, it requires you to think and create your own work using what you’ve been taught.

Jobs, that include computer science, are increasing rapidly recently, as technology plays a big part in everything we do. Therefore, having this skill will be very useful for the future!

Anyway, my biggest tip is to take the subject if you enjoy it. The more you enjoy a subject, the easier it’ll be!

Hope this helped, feel free to ask anymore questions if you need to!
Thanks for the advice! I’m not necessarily a natural with computers. I don’t know how to code at all, only the extreme basics. I’m a little worried that I’ll look like an idiot. Were there many people who were miles ahead of everyone else when you started the course? Does it even out?

I’ve always respected those people who know stuff about computers. I never really thought I was interested in them, but when I had a look at the course content, I realised how relevant and exciting it actually is! And closely related to maths, which I really enjoy.

I’m so glad you think it’s well-regarded
alewhi04
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ragamuffin0)
Thanks for the advice! I’m not necessarily a natural with computers. I don’t know how to code at all, only the extreme basics. I’m a little worried that I’ll look like an idiot. Were there many people who were miles ahead of everyone else when you started the course? Does it even out?

I’ve always respected those people who know stuff about computers. I never really thought I was interested in them, but when I had a look at the course content, I realised how relevant and exciting it actually is! And closely related to maths, which I really enjoy.

I’m so glad you think it’s well-regarded
Hi! I’m so sorry for not replying, I haven’t been online for awhile. And no problem!

And do not worry at all, throughout year 7 and 8 we were only taught the basics of code, and did fun little things like making a website using HTML or a photoshop project. However in year 9, my teacher was not in for the almost of our lessons as a family member was in hospital meaning my class were left with a cover teacher extremely often. So we didn’t get taught much, we had to teach ourselves and were very behind.
Therefore when I got into year 10, I thought me and my other friends in my computing class would have a huge disadvantage and be held back however, we really weren’t, the course starts again from the basics and we all are still doing very well. Trust me, we weren’t very good at coding at all, since we hadn’t been taught much through year 9 but like I said the course starts pretty much from the basics and now I really enjoy computing!

Do not worry you definitely won’t look like an idiot, you will start from the basics and you will do great!

And yes it goes very nicely with maths so if you do decide to take computer science that would go very nicely with other subjects.

I’d also just like to say, it’s a nice change from all of the other writing subjects. Computing does have essay questions however the biggest question you will find is an 8 mark question which are quite straight forward such as:

“Describe the advantages and disadvantages of x and y” or “compare the characteristics of x and y” where all you have to do is write about 2 points for each side then a sentence or two for a conclusion.

And the rest is usually just 1, 2 or 4 mark questions, and then algorithms for the second aspect. It’s a nice change from all the hard writing subjects such as English, as it gives you a chance to be creative and think using technology and it’s very fun to learn about how intricate technology really is!

As long as you think you’ll enjoy yourself and be enthusiastic towards the subject then you’ll do great!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.37%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.42%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.81%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
42.25%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
23.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.6%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
8.02%

Watched Threads