At last, some common sense. Watch

ColinDent
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
So it seems to be that there will be an amendment to the Withdrawal Agreement that will ensure our exit by the end of next year.
Thoughts?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ColinDent)
So it seems to be that there will be an amendment to the Withdrawal Agreement that will ensure our exit by the end of next year.
Thoughts?
More posturing. I would rather get a good deal instead of self imposing an artificial deadline. Plays well to the public though. No deal back on the table.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thoughts?
Pure marketing, that achieves nothing concrete, but wasting Parliamentary time. You fell for it though.
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How long ago was the referendum? .. 😂 wouldn't be surprised if there was another delay..
ColinDent
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
More posturing. I would rather get a good deal instead of self imposing an artificial deadline. Plays well to the public though. No deal back on the table.
It is, and won't the EU know it.
No deal is not going to happen because the EU don't want it to, let's see how their posturing holds up in the coming months.
watershower
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m a remainer but i have accepted Brexit has to happen. However, I’d rather wait a decade for a good deal then push through with a rubbish one that would otherwise put us in a recession. the value of the pound is falling, confidence and investment is low...we need to take our time with this.
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
It is, and won't the EU know it.
No deal is not going to happen because the EU don't want it to, let's see how their posturing holds up in the coming months.
Its posturing by the people imposing the artificial limit. Both sides should grow up and then go at the speed needed to get the best deal for both. Takes as long as it takes imo.

If rushed you run the risk of getting a poor deal or no deal. People seem to spout the benefits of WTO terms though.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thoughts?
What does this change? There was already a deadline in place.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
(Original post by SHallowvale)
What does this change? There was already a deadline in place.
No more extensions, by law.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50818134
ColinDent
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Its posturing by the people imposing the artificial limit. Both sides should grow up and then go at the speed needed to get the best deal for both. Takes as long as it takes imo.

If rushed you run the risk of getting a poor deal or no deal. People seem to spout the benefits of WTO terms though.
I feel it will sharpen the minds of those negotiating, and that can only be a good thing.
Last edited by ColinDent; 4 weeks ago
Quady
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

Just to check....

No change in the law can happen?

Like can another law be passed to invalidate that law?
999tigger
Report 4 weeks ago
I feel it will sharpen the minds of those negotiating, and that can only be a good thing.
Or they will just end up with no deal or an incomplete sub standard one.
The transition deal is really just Mays deal they spent the last 3 years blocking.
Guess we will find out one way or another.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Is that why my shares fell back today?

Didn't feel like a good thing.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

It's a law like... all the previous laws that set the Brexit deadline?

Laws can be amended or replaced. The deadline can be changed again, just as it had been.

This really doesn't change anything. It's there to rally a voting base, nothing else.
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
*presses x for doubt*

But we shall see of course maybe they will pull it off
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I wonder if the ERG still favour Boris's deal, now the Conservatives have a reasonable majority.
Or if they now prefer the DUP or Farage position on the deal.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago

In other news, child poverty will be largely sorted next year because the 2010 act will take effect.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Poverty_Act_2010
ColinDent
Rep:
?
So you're all for getting brexit sorted and getting on with running the country then, great.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So you're all for getting brexit sorted and getting on with running the country then, great.
I'm all for getting on and running the country, getting brexit done and getting independence done.

No need for this stuff to be sequential.
ColinDent
Rep:
?
(Original post by londonmyst)
I wonder if the ERG still favour Boris's deal, now the Conservatives have a reasonable majority.
Or if they now prefer the DUP or Farage position on the deal.
Again I think with this particular amendment then yes, the rest can be argued out after we leave.
The EU will now be in no doubt that the wrong deal will not pass through parliament and, despite arguments to the contrary from many on here, they do know that no deal will be disastrous for them and would put the whole union in doubt.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (77)
14.03%
1 (71)
12.93%
2 (68)
12.39%
19.85%
21.86%
18.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed