miloumontague
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everybody. New to this place. I’m currently studying National 5 English and I’m finding it very difficult. I have an incredibly good grasp of the English language in terms of words and grammar, but it’s extremely clear that this is not what the course is about and I am incredibly confused.

I am completely fine with the folio. However, RUAE and Scottish Set Text is where it becomes way more confusing. I don’t understand how to answer the questions (my teachers tell me I spent S2-3 learning to do this, but I don’t remember doing anything?) and why exactly I have to interpret the texts that deeply.

I’m autistic and find it difficult to do homework at home, however my teacher insists that if I study I’ll get a higher grade than a C (which was my prelim result).

She is completely ignorant of the fact that I can barely concentrate on work I do at home, and it’s really disheartening as I need National 5 in this subject at C to go to uni and have a chance at doing a course I’m very keen on. I was considering taking it to Advanced Higher, but I’m finding it so hard that I might as well drop it and do Modern Studies (which I’ve taken a real interest in lately, and took until the end of S3) instead.

Does anybody have any good advice, links or resources to help me out with this course? It would break my heart to lose my chance to go to uni and study to do my dream job all because of this absurdly hard subjects. I think the SQA have a lot to ask themselves if I got a C in an English prelim, but A in a modern languages prelim...
N Elliott
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mapplethorpian)
Hi everybody. New to this place. I’m currently studying National 5 English and I’m finding it very difficult. I have an incredibly good grasp of the English language in terms of words and grammar, but it’s extremely clear that this is not what the course is about and I am incredibly confused.

I am completely fine with the folio. However, RUAE and Scottish Set Text is where it becomes way more confusing. I don’t understand how to answer the questions (my teachers tell me I spent S2-3 learning to do this, but I don’t remember doing anything?) and why exactly I have to interpret the texts that deeply.

I’m autistic and find it difficult to do homework at home, however my teacher insists that if I study I’ll get a higher grade than a C (which was my prelim result).

She is completely ignorant of the fact that I can barely concentrate on work I do at home, and it’s really disheartening as I need National 5 in this subject at C to go to uni and have a chance at doing a course I’m very keen on. I was considering taking it to Advanced Higher, but I’m finding it so hard that I might as well drop it and do Modern Studies (which I’ve taken a real interest in lately, and took until the end of S3) instead.

Does anybody have any good advice, links or resources to help me out with this course? It would break my heart to lose my chance to go to uni and study to do my dream job all because of this absurdly hard subjects. I think the SQA have a lot to ask themselves if I got a C in an English prelim, but A in a modern languages prelim...
Hello, sucks that you have a teacher like that who doesn't help you or give you the support you need. I am also currently studying English at Nat 5 and what my teacher does for the critical readings is to give us a fill-in analysis sheet with important things such as themes, key quotes and character details that we can do in class, if you would like me to send you it Ill get a fresh copy from my teacher.

For the RUAE, I would highly suggest doing past papers and other online sources but just keep practising as it's just answering questions from the extract provided. This is entirely optional but maybe go to supported study for English if your school has it, it may just give you the support you need. However, if you do find that the teacher does not give you the correct support or doesn't teach you correctly, you can go to the head of department or your guidance teacher and be moved.

I am certain that you will do much better in the exam because the prelims always tend to be much harder than the exams so don't stress out about it as it will go up once you become more familiar with the critical pieces and RUAE.
Hope this help and good luck!
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by miloumontague)

:wavey:

I found English quite difficult too & found that (though not that ideal) memorisation was what got me through it for the Scottish text & essay, and then learning how to do RUAE by doing past papers. It worked for me cause it meant I could look at the marking schemes to spot the patterns and figure out out how to answer in the way the SQA want you to answer to get the marks.

What texts are you doing, and someone might be able to share some resources?

(As a bit of a side note, remember that even in the 'worst case scenario' of what could happen this year with it, you can always retake it- most courses won't require it at first sitting...But the fact you're getting a C at this point in the year suggests you should be fine- English in particular is a subject where a lot of people improve a lot between prelims and the exam, so don't give up/be disheartened!)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (77)
14.45%
1 (70)
13.13%
2 (66)
12.38%
20.08%
21.2%
18.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise