Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just walk past and ignore them. There's supposed to have been a major crackdown of them in Blackpool but i've seen no difference.

ReputationRep:
    the big issue guy i used to know chatted to me about his troubles with his digibox, and another beggar i see around a lot goes on his mobile and shouts about how many bottles of booze hes getting that night. i dont give them anything because i'm always skint myself!

ReputationRep:
    almost always give money

they're still people too, it's not like they want to be on the streets begging. theyre just humans down on their luck, why not give if you can afford it.. have a heart

lol at post above me, big issue guy complaining about his digibox, i dont even have one of those

ReputationRep:
    I give big issue sellers money sometimes, and tell them to keep the mag. When i dont i always feel really guilty though! When they ask me i smile and say 'not today' or something similar and theyre really nice eg, 'thanks anyway sweetheart', 'thanks for smiling' etc...
    Ive not had anyone be intimidating or anything. Sometimes i they ask me for ****, thats annoying, as i dont have many. I've given them one a couple of times though.

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes give them food, but theres no way I will give them money. I know people who came to this country speaking no English at all and still managed to get themselves a job, so why cant they?

ReputationRep:
    was in berlin last week
    and a group of asian women (around 6 to 20 year olds)
    kept coming up to us asking if we spoke english
    we just said 'no'
    purely because a moment before they were drinking starbucks

so they either aint poor to afford bloody starbucks!!!

or starbucks is crack to them!!!!

ReputationRep:
    A beggar once told me he was going to buy me some chips if I came back to see him later (this was after I looked after his stuff for him whilst he went somewhere, presumably to snort a line)

That would have been my ideal date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cwlmatty)
    Ignore. I'm sad and have no sympathy..lol
    I think to myself life gives you opportunities
    if you don't have the initiative to sign on , or get a job- why should i give money.
    Don't you need a permanent address to go on the dole? A lot of beggars are homeless.

I try to give money to beggars, I remember in Dublin seeing an old man must have been 60-70 kneeling on the ground with his hands open and his head down, and people were just walking by, and I thought, nobody deserves that. It made me cry so much (yes I'm an emotional loser) but just the thought that he's a person too, he has a history I'm sure when he was younger he never thought he'd end up begging. I just couldn't imagine having to do that just to get enough money to eat or whatever.

Anyway I gave him the money I had on me, I think it was only about 10 euros anyway, and to be honest even if he went and spent it on alcohol or something I don't mind, if that's what he wants to buy, I can't imagine if I was on the streets like that wanting to buy food just to prolong the misery when buying some alcohol could help me escape from it for a while.

normally i wouldn't give a penny to someone on the street, but i once bought a Big Issue (and then gave the magazine back to him when i realised i wasn't actually going to open the thing, let alone read it) because i was in a good mood and the person selling them wasn't yelling "BIG ISSUE, BIG ISSUE, ANYONE WANNA BUY A BIG ISSUE", which really grinds my gears. i didn't really consider (or care) what he was going to spend the money on, all £2 of it. so what if it goes towards drugs and thats his only pleasure in life.

ReputationRep:
    They don't deserve it. They waste it on Alcohol and drugs. I've felt the urge to give something before because it's so sad to see people like that. But remember what they waste it on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viirkokka)
    I hate giving them money but some can be intimidating... even then I do my best not to.
    I tend to ignore them but one very sneaky one accosted me as i was getting my wallet out counting my spare change, so i coudn't exactly say no and he asked so politely, he said he was saving up for a cup of coffee so i gave him 60p. I heard in london they tell them to eat their dog. I also heard about one guy who would go out pretending to be homeless for just a few days every year and was making £3000 a year like that.

ReputationRep:
    If I gave money to every beggar who asked I'd be homeless myself. Walking down belmont street in aberdeen (not a very long street but with clubs/pubs on it) there's a man with a white dog who's apparently a scammer and not homeless at all, and about 5/6 various beggars, one of which if you don't give him money shouts things like "you're no as bonny as I though!". I've only ever given money when I'm drunk lol, usually when you get shouts of "have a good night darlin'" I just say "you too" lol, they probably hate my guts haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dunnoaUSERname)
    I don't think this has been done recently, but i was wondering what do you all do when you see a beggar.

do you give them money? do you ignore them?

do you think it's right to give them money? or is it wrong..(if so, why)?

I was curious on your thoughts and ideas; I'm interested in what you all have to say about this.

so yeh......discuss

I try to give them money, a small amount always of course. They do need money but find problems in getting them, otherwise, they would not choose to be beggars. Plus, if you dont give, you are forcing them to rob...

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time I ignore them somtimes I give them money if busking etc. but never if they have a dog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    normally i wouldn't give a penny to someone on the street, but i once bought a Big Issue (and then gave the magazine back to him when i realised i wasn't actually going to open the thing, let alone read it) because i was in a good mood and the person selling them wasn't yelling "BIG ISSUE, BIG ISSUE, ANYONE WANNA BUY A BIG ISSUE", which really grinds my gears. i didn't really consider (or care) what he was going to spend the money on, all £2 of it. so what if it goes towards drugs and thats his only pleasure in life.

are the ppl selling big issues beggars?

(Original post by pkiy)
    are the ppl selling big issues beggars?
    glorified beggars really

ReputationRep:
    Working in a convenience store we have had no end of problems with beggars standing outside harrassing our customers and have had to ban some of them for following customers around the store.
    They want "money to phone my mum", money "for a coffee" or money "for food" but more often than not, once they have conned enough money out of the working population they come in and buy bottles of cider and cigarettes.

Ok, I wouldn't mind too much giving money to the ones who don't harrass you and are genuinely in need of food and making an effort to get back on their feet (big issue sellers etc), but with the amount of druggies, thieves and conmen out there it just dissuades me.

I've had no end of clashes with the local down-and-outs and I have long lost any sympathy I may once have had for them. When you're throwing them out for thieving cans of Special Brew and having insults hurled at you when you try and stop them blocking the doorway it tends to make you lose goodwill.

ReputationRep:
    There are heaps of them in Oxford - loads and loads. I don't know why. I feel really sorry for quite a few of them actually, but the problem is I'm a student and actually skint so I can't give money to all of them. The worst thing is when they get all aggressive - one called me a ***** when I said I was sorry but I didn't even have my purse on me and another one started following me and my friends up the high street going don't you ******** ignore me you posh ******s' Not everyone who goes to Oxford is posh, just like not all beggers are drug users :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I don't give them money unless they genuinely look like they need it
    some of them look like they could go a little while longer without money

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes get beggars directly approaching me and explaining their situation before asking me for money. One said he was saving money for some sort of hostel and I didn't really know whether to believe him but I gave him some change anyway partly out of him completely guilt tripping me!

I mostly ignore them though, especially if it's very obvious that they have no intention of spending your money on anything other than drugs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.