Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky7337)
    I remember in Dublin seeing an old man must have been 60-70 kneeling on the ground with his hands open and his head down, and people were just walking by, .

That guy is weird. I don't think he's Irish..haven't seen him in ages anyway. There's one guy who is near my uni, and he always looks so sad that I give him money. Most of the beggars I see beg underneath ATM's, even the ones that only give out €50's, which annoys me slightly..go beg under a pay-for-parking machine instead, makes a lot more sense. Roma children do the ATM thing too. There are some beggars that will sit on the Ha'Penny Bridge, which also annoys me because for the extra misery factor, they are giving themselves pneumonia.

The Simon Community and other charities go around giving hot soup to them, and I fully agree with this, and they also try and bring them to hostels. This is what needs to be done because if you give them money, you don't know what is going on drugs or what is going towards a hostel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Most of the time I ignore them somtimes I give them money if busking etc. but never if they have a dog
    busking =/= begging!!! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I never give beggars money, and never will.

With initiative and some effort, there are lots of things you can do to get cash easily and with no training, and legally. If you tread the legal/illegal borderline, you can make even more.

ReputationRep:
    Kick them.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, usually they have more money than me.

ReputationRep:
    buskers and big issue sellers are not beggars..

For the people who say 'they dont deserve it' or 'they could get out if it easily'... how do you know? you dont know that they drink, or that they do drugs, and you dont know their situation. Im sure if it was easy there would be no beggars..

anyway, I give them any food i have on me, or occasionally buy food if its a really miserable day i have cash. I also invite them to the social centre where i volunteer so they can get some tea/food/wamth..

ReputationRep:
    I live in Dover, and I was walking down the highstreet once with a box full of drinks, so being my kind self I gave one to the guy who sells big issues.

ReputationRep:
    I used to know a Big Issue seller - I used to be in town so often that I saw him pretty much every day. His name was Wayne. He gave me his wallet once in exchange for mine as his was too big for his pocket. One day he disappeared - no idea what happened to him.

ReputationRep:
    9 times out of 10 I just walk past and pretend they're not there

ReputationRep:
    never give money to beggars, delivery guys, well no one actually. Only authentic charities.

Giving money to beggars just encourages them anyway

ReputationRep:
    They can't sign on if they voluntarily made themselves homeless, like running away from home.

I always get a magazine from them, least they are employed then and they get some money. Sometimes the magazine is good

ReputationRep:
    I dont give money to beggers but I do buy the big issue. Theres a bloke in Brum that sells the big issue and he has a dog, well I took it upon myself to go into Sainsburys and buy the dog a six pack of pedigree chum. The bloke thought I was the nicest girl ever and was really appreciative. I havent seen him lately...maybe he moved his pitch?

ReputationRep:
    I do give sometimes , but only quite rarely really. The saddest beggar related thing I saw was this guy counting up his coins walking into the off license and coming out with a bottle of cider rather than buying food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    Only if they do something to deserve it (ie play music, etc).
    busking?...that's ok, I don't mind that...but usual kind exploit the moeny given, using it for alcohol, hoping it help, so usually, I just ignore.

otherwise I'm pretty frightened of beggers.

ReputationRep:
    I Dunno You Feel Sorry For Them,i Mean There Annul Income Is 50p Per Hour.
    Trinny And Susanna Should Do I What Not To Wear On One Lucky Begger And Get Them A Whole New Wardrobe.

Im Writing In Caps To Try And Get My Account Deleted.i Think If You Get 30 Its Deleted.wish Me Look.

Ps Put A Thumbs Down For This Message Fasten The Process.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I only ever feel sorry for the dog, if they have one with them .
    I don't usually give money, because it's clear what they are gonna use it for,usually anyway. There's one guy I saw twice in a week, and both times he admitted he wanted it for a pint. Zzz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unikq)
    busking =/= begging!!! :mad:
    I ONCE SEEN A FATTYTREATS BREAKDANCE FOR MONEY I LOLIT WAS FUNNY
    PRICELESS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hec)
    almost always give money

they're still people too, it's not like they want to be on the streets begging. theyre just humans down on their luck, why not give if you can afford it.. have a heart
    You're quite naive if you think all beggars are homeless and have no choice but to beg on the streets.

Where I used to live there was a man who would sit in the town centre everyday with his scrawny dog begging for money. He had a council house and a few of my friends knew him from the pub.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore them - we're all struggling, so why have they given up?

ReputationRep:
    ....Can't be choosers.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.