Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My English teacher once gave a book to a beggar and he retorted with, "Do you think I would be here if I could read?!".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stikki)
    Wow
    he did have blisters all over his mouth and was proper abnormal. iv been scared ever since though becuase i got a black eye from a 2 pound coin hahha and i actually enjoyed giving money to people its saddd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    My English teacher once gave a book to a beggar and he retorted with, "Do you think I would be here if I could read?!".
    :rofl: Priceless

I never give money to beggers, i don't feel that sorry for them either. I hate the ones who come on public transport and beg. There was this asian woman carrying her baby in a sling across her stomach begging people for money,
    the baby was screaming so loudly and it was making people really uncomfortable. She kept saying how her baby was ill and she needed money to get medicine.

There's also this other begger i've seen on the train several times. He always gives a speech in the middle of the carriage about how he and his girlfriend are homeless and looking for money to get a room for the night and they're not on drugs. he then goes around collecting money in his cap. He always says how his girlfriend is on the train asking for money aswell but i never see her.....if she even exists.

ReputationRep:
    if i know theyre not homeless i ignore them but i might give them change, a nod or whats left on my cigarette

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cwlmatty)
    Ignore. I'm sad and have no sympathy..lol
    I think to myself life gives you opportunities
    if you don't have the initiative to sign on , or get a job- why should i give money.
    You need a (permanent) address to get a job, and most employers don't count hostels/shelters etc. If someone's homeless, they won't have an address to put down on CVs etc/phone number/address for employers to contact them, and also basically nowhere like a bathroom to keep themselves presentable for a job. Then if they have no job, they have no money to pay for somewhere to live, and so can't get a job... it's a vicious circle.
    It's just not as straightforward as that. Plus, I'm sure that most homeless people *do* want to get a job and work, and would if they could.

Yes life can give people opportunities, but it can also be hard on them... circumstances aren't always that black and white.

ReputationRep:
    Remember watching a TV programme in which a scam artist posed as a tramp daily, and then when he was done he'd walk round the block and get in his flash BMW and go home to his massive house.

Also, I noticed some tramps undertaking the noble sport of taking trolleys off people in the Sainsbury's to get pound coins.

So I don't really give them anything 'cause they either manage or they are cowboys.

But I will give them a cigarette if they ask for one. Hate to see people without their cigarettes when they're addicted to them. Whether tramps or not - Glad not too many people know that

ReputationRep:
    I never give money to beggars. Chances are they're either going to get drugs or are just putting on and act and need booze. So I ignore them.

But once I had a Whopper that I bought and there was this alcohol-stinking guy with a dog lying in front of the entrance and the dog had this hopeless depressed look on it's face so I gave it half of the burger.

One thing I hate is when they carry babies with them or little children that beg for your food. Come on...

I always feel sorry if they have dogs with them. Not for the beggers but for the dogs.

Michael

ReputationRep:
    I do nothing, I hate them D:

Though I got chased by one once because I called him a skank ~

ReputationRep:
    Thus far my closest encounter with a bum has been standing on a corner waiting to cross and having the ******* try to hit me. A quick call to the police and he was removed from said corner.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.