The Student Room Group

How can you earn a lot of money from a business degree?

I currently do bio, chem and eng lit for A levels. I have no idea what to do with my life because I can't be a pilot so I'm forcing myself to at least get a degree.

I keep seeing that a business degree is one of the top degrees that can make you rich, which is confusing because I often hear that it is a soft subject/degree on TSR.

What do I do? I can't get through bio and chem A levels without a tutor and I'm only in year 12, so no way I can get a degree in one of them (though I'd like to be a science teacher so if anyone has any advice on how I can become a science teacher without a degree then hmu).

Should I get a business degree?
I studied business now do a conversion MSc in Computer science. I'd say study economics or a STEM subject instead. Only study business if can get into a top uni. If not you're probably wasting your time and better of doing an apprenticeship or entry level job. Besides there is literally an infinite amount of free high quality information about anything you could possibly want to know about business on your phone
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by InJailOutSoon
I currently do bio, chem and eng lit for A levels. I have no idea what to do with my life because I can't be a pilot so I'm forcing myself to at least get a degree.

I keep seeing that a business degree is one of the top degrees that can make you rich, which is confusing because I often hear that it is a soft subject/degree on TSR.

What do I do? I can't get through bio and chem A levels without a tutor and I'm only in year 12, so no way I can get a degree in one of them (though I'd like to be a science teacher so if anyone has any advice on how I can become a science teacher without a degree then hmu).

80% of careers are aligned to business. Even if you think about a hospital, where clearly one imagines doctors.. There however, is a professional managerial team managing those doctors. 😂 So basically all organization have some form of management, adminstration, HR, finances, operations. Which are all topics covered in business degree's.

I best like to describe a business degree as a study of organisations and how they function, and how you can optimise them.

Yes, I study management at a decent RG uni. And would really advise anyone to study business at that type of institution or higher.

What I wouldn't recommend is getting a BA honors from a poor university. This is a trap! If it isn't a BSc in managment, accounting, or finance, business economics (some sort of combo of those) don't bother!

A pure economics degree isn't really an option unless your taking maths at a high level. Business economics is a bit more practical (but still mathsy).

Either way, business is about prestige.

Similar to law, great organisations take students from great organisations (uni's, which are also organisations!).

Hence, the study of organisations can be extremely lucrative!!
Reply 3

Many of such comments are from people who haven't even started a degree. The reason why its one of the highest earning degree is because those from top business schools will often go for super competitive jobs, such as investment banking and corporate finance roles. This is also because their graduates have experience of work and know about finance and strategy. Many business degrees offer a year in industry as part of a four-year course and all degrees include some form of work placement.There are some exception of students from less prestigious business schools gaining high paying job, mostly due to their wide range of experience and skillsets. Business covers a wide range of areas (e.g. finance, hr, general management), these areas are often filled with heavy responsibilities hence are paid more. There's also incentives to pursue industry related qualifications (e.g. ACA, CIMA, CFA) which would boost their salary further after completion by the end of their graduate programme.

I'm more concerned as to why you can't go through these A-levels without tutors. You won't survive uni like that due to it being mostly self-learning, so first you need to address the issues you're having. There are so many excellent revision guides (CGP), YouTube tutorials that you could use to learn the materials, and websites for you to practice exam style questions. It's all about putting a lot of effort in practicing exam style questions and essentially learning from the mark scheme (the questions are very repetitive).
Original post by Realitysreflexx
80% of careers are aligned to business. Even if you think about a hospital, where clearly one imagines doctors.. There however, is a professional managerial team managing those doctors. 😂 So basically all organization have some form of management, adminstration, HR, finances, operations. Which are all topics covered in business degree's.

I best like to describe a business degree as a study of organisations and how they function, and how you can optimise them.

Yes, I study management at a decent RG uni. And would really advise anyone to study business at that type of institution or higher.

What I wouldn't recommend is getting a BA honors from a poor university. This is a trap! If it isn't a BSc in managment, accounting, or finance, business economics (some sort of combo of those) don't bother!

A pure economics degree isn't really an option unless your taking maths at a high level. Business economics is a bit more practical (but still mathsy).

Either way, business is about prestige.

Similar to law, great organisations take students from great organisations (uni's, which are also organisations!).

Hence, the study of organisations can be extremely lucrative!!

Is the university of Exeter decent? They require AAA, I don't think I can get that!

I'm just a bit worried that I won't be taken seriously. I am a baby-faced female of south asian heritage and am 5'3. Would I be taken seriously fresh out of university?
Original post by kkboyk
Many of such comments are from people who haven't even started a degree. The reason why its one of the highest earning degree is because those from top business schools will often go for super competitive jobs, such as investment banking and corporate finance roles. This is also because their graduates have experience of work and know about finance and strategy. Many business degrees offer a year in industry as part of a four-year course and all degrees include some form of work placement.There are some exception of students from less prestigious business schools gaining high paying job, mostly due to their wide range of experience and skillsets. Business covers a wide range of areas (e.g. finance, hr, general management), these areas are often filled with heavy responsibilities hence are paid more. There's also incentives to pursue industry related qualifications (e.g. ACA, CIMA, CFA) which would boost their salary further after completion by the end of their graduate programme.

I'm more concerned as to why you can't go through these A-levels without tutors. You won't survive uni like that due to it being mostly self-learning, so first you need to address the issues you're having. There are so many excellent revision guides (CGP), YouTube tutorials that you could use to learn the materials, and websites for you to practice exam style questions. It's all about putting a lot of effort in practicing exam style questions and essentially learning from the mark scheme (the questions are very repetitive).

My chemistry tutor is there to help mostly with my maths skills. Will my maths skills hinder me from getting high-paying jobs?
Reply 6
My chemistry tutor is there to help mostly with my maths skills. Will my maths skills hinder me from getting high-paying jobs?

If you're worried about your Maths skills, then keep practicing in order for you to develop them. Most jobs only require basic GCSEs Maths, unless you want a highly quantitative job. Not all jobs have the same requirements. Each industries and companies are looking for different things. It's best for you to start doing research on what exactly you want to do, so that you can start preparing whilst at uni to get that job.
Is the university of Exeter decent? They require AAA, I don't think I can get that!

I'm just a bit worried that I won't be taken seriously. I am a baby-faced female of south asian heritage and am 5'3. Would I be taken seriously fresh out of university?

You can apply to my Uni, Nottingham then you can go abroad on a year to Malaysia which Is what I did and it requires AAB, so does University of Manchester... AAB... Except for Warwick or Imperial....or King's, etc... A RG requiring AAA for business is excessive. Don't think Exeter is anything special. No matter where you go within the RG the teaching is roughly the same. The only difference is some as just prestigious universities, and some are super elite ones. So you won't go wrong choosing the one you want to study at. But once again, Exeter....AAA is a bit of a joke. Same deal with Queen Mary, they also want AAA and its absolute crap. AAB is fine for business school imo. Otherwise you may aswell go straight to economics A*AA.

Oh and ofc people will take you seriously... If you make a serious impression. Your height and stature are irrelevant with a degree by law actually.

Quick Reply