Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
anna_spanner89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try contacting the citizens advice bureau over this sort of situation?
EggCustard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
try another bank!

Barclays and Halifax are very strict so not those... but try another one at least.

will you be having a student loan paid into it?
banks usually want to know if money will be paid in - not just taken out.
NeverMindThat
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Natwest wont care.
Straggler
Rep:
?
EggCustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Straggler)
I sure will. My student loan goes into my HSBC current account, but if I am able to switch banks, the first thing I'll do is change where my student loan is being paid into. I'd close my HSBC account in a heartbeat. Absolutely fed up with the time it takes to process a cheque with them, and the aforementioned unscrupulous charges they apply to your account if you fall behind.

I suppose there is no harm in trying. Just wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation to me and had some joy with another bank.
I've seen similar posts on the moneysavingexpert site - that's where I heard about Barclays and Halifax being worse than HSBC! (they have a student money saving forum

I'm with HSBC at the moment - I've applied for the student account but I've not shown my UCAS letter yet as I want to see if any better offers come up over the summer
(I think the banks start advertising the student accounts late July/Aug)
SmallTownAlex
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Try Natwest - £1200 intrest free overdraft, and they give you a free railcard =)
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by NeverMindThat)
Natwest wont care.
Haha sorry but a student account will still carry out a credit search so the defaulted BC might come up. Might as well give applying a go though
EggCustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Talya)
Haha sorry but a student account will still carry out a credit search so the defaulted BC might come up. Might as well give applying a go though
all banks do checks but some banks are really fussy... and will refuse a lot of people without any previous debt problems so it's worth applying - just find out which one's are easier first.
SmilerNuts
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EggCustard)
all banks do checks but some banks are really fussy... and will refuse a lot of people without any previous debt problems so it's worth applying - just find out which one's are easier first.
If you apply for too many overdrafts and keep getting turned down then that'll harm your credit rating even more though.

-----

OP - you're just gonna have to tighetn your belt big time I'm afraid. It's hard for anyone to get credit these days but with your credit history it's even harder. See if you can last between now and xmas and by that time some of the bank charges should have cleared from your credit rating, giving you a better chance of getting an overdraft.
biffyclyro27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you really wanted to stay with the same bank, why don't you just say that if they don;t give you a student account, you will take your business elsewhere and your student loans will be put into another bank account. This might sway them a bit more seeing as they will be missing out on a few grand.
EggCustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
[QUOTE=SmilerNuts]If you apply for too many overdrafts and keep getting turned down then that'll harm your credit rating even more though.

QUOTE]

yep.. that's why she needs to find out who the best ones to go for first... not just any.
some banks are just very strict on who they take so go for the ones that are more friendly to small debts and students.
Straggler
Rep:
?
Talya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You've passed 1st stage credit scoring but there is a 2nd stage once you sign + return the docs which you CAN fail, but you weren't declined at first stage so a good start. Just return everything as soon as you can to get a definite answer. I am sure Natweststaffmember will have more info
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Unfortunatly, a default notice can scar your credit history for a number of years (I've been told 6 or above), whether the debt is paid or not, so you could be in this situation for a long time to come. =/

The best thing you can do is tighten your belt and save like ****.
terri1986
Report 10 years ago
When I was about 18 I had a natwest card and I stopped a direct debit (from both sides, i signed the documents and thought that was the end of the matter, i thought the bank would close the account down so I took no notice of it, I moved out of the house the card was addressed to. Unknown to me the charges where still being taken out of my account (no overdraft facility) and therefore it started to rake up charges. I was not using the account.

I was in college at the time, two years later, I decided to look at the account to see if I could use it before I went away to university. I had over 250 pounds in charges and it was taken up with a debt collection agency. I was blacklisted, nothing you can do when you are blacklisted apart from paying back the debt, your credit rating goes right down.

I waited two years, do not apply to banks as that will bring down your credit rating. I have finally got a student account it can be done surviving with out an overdraft just got to hang in there.
chuddy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by terri1986)
When I was about 18 I had a natwest card and I stopped a direct debit (from both sides, i signed the documents and thought that was the end of the matter, i thought the bank would close the account down so I took no notice of it, I moved out of the house the card was addressed to. Unknown to me the charges where still being taken out of my account (no overdraft facility) and therefore it started to rake up charges. I was not using the account.

I was in college at the time, two years later, I decided to look at the account to see if I could use it before I went away to university. I had over 250 pounds in charges and it was taken up with a debt collection agency. I was blacklisted, nothing you can do when you are blacklisted apart from paying back the debt, your credit rating goes right down.

I waited two years, do not apply to banks as that will bring down your credit rating. I have finally got a student account it can be done surviving with out an overdraft just got to hang in there.
no such thing as a blacklist.
EggCustard
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by terri1986)

I back Chuddy's answer.. no blacklists exist!
have you looked at the moneysavingexpert site.. there's a lot of people claiming back charges.. try that - it's easy!

I had a credit card and I was late by one day paying it (my job paid me late!) and I called them to let them know too.. anyway they charged me £500 for this! (:eek: ) 2 years of sending them letters (they ignored the phone calls and said they don't keep records of statements!?!??!? totally illegal!) so I had to go through martin lewis site.. got the refund.. .well, basically the card amount went to 0 as that was all I owed on the bloody thing!)

... try asking on that site if it's worth complaining and they might just sort your account for you as it is a low amount... also make sure your letters mention that you want your credit file amended - yes, they can do this!!

good luck!
The Menace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Change your name and apply for credit.

You will have a clean credit history just by changing one initial in your name.
chuddy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Menace)
Change your name and apply for credit.

You will have a clean credit history just by changing one initial in your name.
if only it was that easy
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (382)
46.25%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (255)
30.87%
I don't have an opinion (189)
22.88%

Watched Threads