The Menace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by chuddy)
if only it was that easy
It is that easy.

Obviously it is against the banks terms and conditions as you are supposed to inform them of any name changes that you might have had, they do this so they can run a credit check on your previous name.

However, if you change your name and don't inform your bank then there is no way of them knowing your previous credit history.
EggCustard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by The Menace)
Change your name and apply for credit.

You will have a clean credit history just by changing one initial in your name.
not having a credit history means that you will find it hard to get credit!
that's why some students find it hard to get a credit card.
it's also called fraud.
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by EggCustard)
not having a credit history means that you will find it hard to get credit!
that's why some students find it hard to get a credit card.
it's also called fraud.
Was going to mention this. :p:

Also, I believe the electoral role, which I believe is the name they take for credit files has to be your full, complete name.
The Menace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Spotty Dog)
Was going to mention this. :p:

Also, I believe the electoral role, which I believe is the name they take for credit files has to be your full, complete name.
Firstly, yes it is a certain type of fraud. But I never claimed that it was legal, all I said was that it is possible to change your name and clear your bad credit history. It would be very difficult to be prosecuted for it anyway.

Secondly, everybody on the electoral role has a credit report, when you change your name the credit check is done on your new name, and it is the responsibility of the applicant to inform the bank of their previous name so a check can also be done on that previous name's credit history as well. If the applicant 'forgets' to inform the bank of their change in name then the bank/lending agency cannot have any way of knowing about the previous names credit history.

You'd be surprised at how easy it is to manipulate the system.
natweststaffmember
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Firstly, yes it is a certain type of fraud. But I never claimed that it was legal, all I said was that it is possible to change your name and clear your bad credit history. It would be very difficult to be prosecuted for it anyway.

Secondly, everybody on the electoral role has a credit report, when you change your name the credit check is done on your new name, and it is the responsibility of the applicant to inform the bank of their previous name so a check can also be done on that previous name's credit history as well. If the applicant 'forgets' to inform the bank of their change in name then the bank/lending agency cannot have any way of knowing about the previous names credit history.

I am sorry to come in on this but I do take issue with the comments made by you, The Menace. I have been in the bank charges campaign where people have been driven to the brink of taking their own lives because of debts. I believe in advising people how to face up to their debts and not run away from them or defraud the system. You are advocating Fraud. That is an Illegal means. I would advocate facing up to debts and tackling them. For example, Martin Lewis' site Moneysavingexpert has a debt forum with people in similar circumstances who can advise. Let's give advice that is LEGAL and not ILLEGAL.
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Actually, I don't see this as a method of 'fooling' the system.

Surely you can't change your name on the electoral role without proof your name has been changed (ie a marriage certificate). I can't see that you ringing/writing/whatever it is you have to do and saying "Hi, I'm John Smith, but now my name is Hairy Maclairy", that they'll jum p up and say, "Oh right, of course!"

So surely your old name will be marked and recorded WITH your new name?!
The Menace
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by natweststaffmember)
I am sorry to come in on this but I do take issue with the comments made by you, The Menace. I have been in the bank charges campaign where people have been driven to the brink of taking their own lives because of debts. I believe in advising people how to face up to their debts and not run away from them or defraud the system. You are advocating Fraud. That is an Illegal means. I would advocate facing up to debts and tackling them. For example, Martin Lewis' site Moneysavingexpert has a debt forum with people in similar circumstances who can advise. Let's give advice that is LEGAL and not ILLEGAL.
I'm not advocating anything, and I'm fully aware that it is illegal and would never recommend this method of gaining credit, obviously. I was merely stating that it does exist and there are confidence tricksters who have used this method to clear bad credit ratings before, simply by changing one initial in their birth name.

I fully sympathize with your comments about debt ruining lives, and I know all about how difficult it can be for people to rise above it, I've experienced it first hand myself.

I used to work for an Identity Fraud Protection agency, so I'm fully aware of the growing problems of both Identity Fraud and Identity Theft in the UK. I'd never advocate fraud, but I do highlight it's existence.

@ Spotty Dog, do some research. You'd be surprised at the loopholes in the system. Changing your name can be done in half an hour, you get a new birth certificate and with that you can apply for a passport then a driving license, never mind a loan from a bank. Thats why identity fraud has become so rife.
EggCustard
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've actually changed my name by deed poll - I still have my old credit history with my 'old' name.. it doesn't go away!

plus.. I think there are things in place as it would be pretty daft of credit cards etc to not think that people do this sort of thing to con their ways out of debt.

people who have never had credit before find it difficult to get credit.. so just because you have a 'new' name doesn't mean it comes with a credit history and make it any easier!

better to ask for advice as they are things in place to help people... just have to face up to stuff and not let it get out of hand! (I think it's called growing up, lol :p: )
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (448)
46.86%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (293)
30.65%
I don't have an opinion (215)
22.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise