wydyoongi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi, I know it’s probably not likely (the law works in weird ways though) but could my mum (an automatic driver) supervise me, a manual learner driver during private practice or does the supervisor also have to have a manual licence.
Emily_B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I highly doubt it. No manual licence = can't drive a manual car = how can she teach you to drive manual? (Unlike if you have a manual licence you're allowed to drive an automatic). My driving instructor's logic was because with an automatic, you never actually learn how to use the clutch and change gears.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I'm not really sure.

Possibly yes, that may be a gray area or even a loophole in the system. I Doubt many people have this issue.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I strongly suspect she would need the appropriate licence for the car, ie = manual. Otherwise the car contains no one with a valid driving license.
Nevi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by wydyoongi)
Hi, I know it’s probably not likely (the law works in weird ways though) but could my mum (an automatic driver) supervise me, a manual learner driver during private practice or does the supervisor also have to have a manual licence.
You can drive an automatic car and a manual car with a manual licence. If she has a manual licence then yes I imagine she would be able to. Automatic licenses sadly only cover automatic cars so if she has an automatic license I dont imagine she would be allowed to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (88)
28.03%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.74%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.11%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.19%
No - I live at home during term anyway (94)
29.94%

Watched Threads