The Student Room Group

Grow your Grades Christmas Spot Prize 2019!

Scroll to see replies

Make a plan at the start of the day which has breaks and chilling time so usually don't stop but if I cba then I just think how embarrassing it would be if I dont get my 3A*'s and so miss my imperial offer:biggrin:
watch grey's anatomy in the background when doing a small task, the fact pace of trauma surgery gets me going and I feel inspired and homework no longer feels like a chore (:
If I'm low on energy I either take a quick power nap to recharge my brain.
Or I would grab something to eat, especially fruit (grapes are my go to).

Spoiler

I find some way of making it fun!

Being a history student, odds are there are is something Horrible Histories related for me to use - if not, someone has likely made it a video on YouTube doing something similar.
Original post by Evil Homer

How do you motivate yourself when you're low on energy for studying?

@Evil Homer appreciate the tag ^^

Few things keep my mind ticking during the holiday period:

1) I can usually get a lot done if I've had a mocha along with some biscuits. Little burst of sugar and caffeine is a nice way to start off, but after that burst, natural sugar from a banana works well for me.

2) When I'm low, sometimes you just need some rest! Taking breaks is always important when you've got a lot of work ahead of you (though my course is game-making, so my break is play-testing and tweaking my games so... :biggrin:)

3) The thought of not getting any work done during the holiday period always keeps me on edge, as I feel like if I don't make any progress on work in one day, then the day almost feels wasted.

I say 'almost' because you can still have a good time knowing that you did something you enjoyed doing ^-^

4) Knowing how screwed I'll be if I don't get my coursework done is also a pretty good motivation. :P

5) Lastly, I plan ahead of time to see what I'd like to accomplish over the period, and then put them into the days I'll have free. Think of it like a 'Holiday Bucket List', where time to study is within that schedule.

With those study periods there, I also know that I've got something more fun planned after it! And when it's time to knuckle down on some work, I'm aware ahead of time.

Don't be a robot though! The plan I have is only a guideline that I set for yourself, not something I'm forced to follow. Allow flexibility to have good fun, make memories, and embrace the surprises of everyday life :smile:
Reply 65

It's almost Christmas and so we have decided now would be a perfect time to have a little spot-prize competition, just so you don't get to forget about your revision and studying completely!

We're offering a £25 amazon vouchers as a prize. All you have to do win it is tell us:

Just post your reply below, and we'll be doing a random draw of all the answers on Monday the 23rd of December!

I'm tagging in all you amazing Grow your Grades posters this year so far!

Good luck everyone :claus:

GYG

Short Break and Meditation helps me keep going........
Reflect upon the end goal.

In this case it's that Amazon voucher which I could do with. The Amazon courier has become my best friend recently and the company have emailed saying they have noticed I have a company account (I don't :frown:)
When I feel deflated or I do not feel in the head space to be able to concentrate effectively, I motivate myself by watching inspirational TED talks that link in with aspects of my A Level studies that I really enjoy so that I feel inspired to learn the topics due to my overall passion for the subject. Also, I watch videos/ or look at pictures of the university I am achieving to hopefully be able to attend next year, and reading up on my university course and imagining all of the various job opportunities in that field of work that I will be able to do from studying that course really puts me in a working mood. Also, I find watching study with me videos on YouTube and reading other/ making my own studyblr really helps me to focus on studying.

I have a lot of revision planned over the Christmas holidays due to loads of notes that I have to catch up on and summarise to try to make my revision in May/ June a lot easier for myself, but I am determined to just study and be on top of my notes because it will benefit me a lot :smile:
Reply 68
tbh I have no more energy after scrolling down that list of names...:smile:

Well, I think about my end goal and that often works. Else, I'll watch some results day videos or study with me's which usually motivate me to be more productive.

Spoiler

lo-fi and eating snacks (while careful not 2 get them on my work), usually. seems trashy but it kinda works. also have a stim toy by my side bc The Ol Autism goes into hyperdrive a lot
I hardly ever feel motivated especially over the Christmas holidays, however I often watch A level/GCSE results videos on YouTube (I want to be someone who opens their GCSE's and be happy and often the YouTube Videos are the higher achievers). Watching the videos often nudges me to work hard to gain the results I want.

I struggle the most with finding motivation for art GCSE as it's so so time consuming but I watch many art videos to motivate me. Sometimes I play 'real time drawing videos' and leave it on in the background while I work.
To motivate myself I typically daydream about what I could do after I’ve passed my exams with my qualifications. I really want to do something that involves writing, so passing my English Language & Literature A levels plays a huge part in that.
Plus, when I need a break from my 3 kids, it’s a good excuse to go upstairs and study :smile:

It's almost Christmas and so we have decided now would be a perfect time to have a little spot-prize competition, just so you don't get to forget about your revision and studying completely!

We're offering a £25 amazon vouchers as a prize. All you have to do win it is tell us:

Just post your reply below, and we'll be doing a random draw of all the answers on Monday the 23rd of December!

GYG

GYG

I take a little break, eat something that will give me energy e.g. a banana and make myself a drink. Then, I can recuperate and resume studying, or even keep my snack with me when I go back to my desk. Don't feel like you have to sit for hours - get up, move around, eat something and you should feel better afterwards :smile:
eat an apple. surprisingly effective.
If im low on energy, i like to step away from the computer and take a break before working again. Otherwise it can make me less motivated to study overall. For example, i'd text my friends, meet them if possible, walk outside, hang out in the house, relax etc.

GYG

Whenever I lack the energy to study, I take a short break for five minutes or else go for a walk, avoiding socially media. After this, I write down a list of why it is important for me to study at this present moment and the consequences if I don’t study. I continue to reassure myself that this is a temporary phase and exams will be over soon so I only need to struggle for a short amount of time. I tell myself that every tiny bit of revision I do is contributing to my grades improving and that I’m very fortunate to be able to access giver education. If all else fails, I watch Friday Night Night Dinner, shove my phone under my bed, make a to-do list with times for each task and enjoy a video from studytube.
enjoying your subjects and what you're doing helps a lot - if you like what you are studying then you're obviously going to have a higher chance of being motivated to do it

otherwise, my method for revising with low energy is to play some electronic music and do the work with some snacks. I always think of how much better I will feel after I've done the work
Commitment, discipline, strong habits is needed not motivation. Imagine having to get up at 4am everyday for next month and having to work out almost straight after. Motivation ain't gonna do chit after first day.
Reply 79
I just keep telling myself that any little bit of work is better than nothing. Sometimes I just need to approach things from a different angle, sometimes I just need to get up and clear my head before continuing... and sometimes my brain is just straight up Not Working and I need to tackle something else until it simmers down!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending