Grow your Grades Christmas Spot Prize 2019! Watch

octo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I just keep telling myself that any little bit of work is better than nothing. Sometimes I just need to approach things from a different angle, sometimes I just need to get up and clear my head before continuing... and sometimes my brain is just straight up Not Working and I need to tackle something else until it simmers down!
kodiakruble
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sometimes, I just need a day off and then I do work the next day which I find it more productive as instead of doing work for to day at 50%, I do work over one day giving 100%. Other days, I just look at my dream uni requirments and I realise to get those grades, I need to put in work
Apad121
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think about my aims and my goals.

Take money as an example. Why study?
For money. To perhaps get better GCSE grades to then be able to take the right subjects for you at A level so then you get a good uni place for a good degree for potentially better jobs for better income for more money.
Incede
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Take a break doing something you love and carry that energy into your studies. Also recognise the fact that all the work you are putting in now is lead to a bigger goal that you will eventually achieve if you carry on putting in the effort.
Nithumigah
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I have a motivational songs playlist I listen to and I usually watch a lot of studytuber videos of study with mew and people opening their GCSE results and achieving all 9s, it motivates me to revise . I also like to think if that long summer I will have after my GCSEs, that well deserved break, knowing you worked your absolute hardest and knowing you are going to relish in that feeling when it comes around.
CuriosityYay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
When you "think" you are low on energy, you can take a break by sitting on a couch doing absolutely nothing. I repeat, absolutely nothing. No mobile, no TV, no nothing. 30 minutes later, you will be bored to tears and go back to study from boredom.

When I am actually low on energy, a plain tin of tuna with a spoon usually does the job. I prefer not to get fancy, adding dressings to it. Just the tin, a spoon and maybe a plate to avoid making a mess.
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I’m a big proponent of the idea that “self-discipline is better than motivation” when it comes to low-energy, but I’m also a massive hypocrite, so I’ve accumulated a few coping skills over the years to manage my “chronic invigoration deficiency” (aka laziness).
  1. Using the five-minute rule. Sometimes, it’s the idea of facing a mountain of work that stops me from getting started in the morning. So, when my to-do list feels too daunting to conquer, I promise myself that I’ll only work for five minutes before I can stop for the day. This idea of being able to take a “no strings attached” attitude towards my studying takes off all the pressure that was causing my lack of motivation in the first place. This means that, more often than not, I’ll already be in the zone after my allotted studying time and I won’t want to stop! And, if I can’t go on, it’s alright – I’ve already got something checked off my list!
  2. Making a to-do list that includes bitesize tasks! Some days, I have no idea where to start, and that can really kill my motivation. So, on these days, I’ll include small tasks like brushing my teeth, or putting on my socks, or getting out my textbooks on my to-do list. Because they’re not too difficult to get done, I’ll get a quick dopamine hit every time I put a tick next to them, which helps me ride a wave of motivation through the next task. I’ll also occasionally break my bigger tasks down into small chunks, which helps me feel like I’m accomplishing things faster!
  3. Listening to motivational music. I really, really love listening to music from movie soundtracks when I need a motivation boost! They’re meticulously designed to bring out all kinds of emotions in you, and I’ve found that the right soundtrack can really help turn my mood around!
  4. Watching “study with me” videos. When I’m lacking the “oomph” I need to get through my studying, I find “study with me” videos to be a great motivational tool… mostly because it taps into my ultra-competitive steak. In the same branch as watching people study, I’ll also occasionally browse the “studygram” hashtag on Instagram when I don’t have the time, nor the motivation, to watch a ten-minute video. Something about aesthetically pleasing pictures that idolise studying really helps me get motivated!
  5. Prioritising the long-term! I’m terrible at thinking about short term rewards. Why would I give myself a gummy bear as a reward for finishing this question when I can just eat the whole bag now? (I think the kids these days are calling it a “lack of self-control” or something?) So, instead, I try to think about the future. I desperately want to go to a university like Edinburgh, Durham, or Warwick one day, so I like to think about what it might be like to study there! If I’m in need of a little help with my visualisation, I might also lookup photos of the university, watch vlogs by students that are currently studying there, or even browse the student room forums for those universities. I might also look at pictures of the French and German countrysides and wonder what it’d be like to study abroad for a year!
  6. Avoiding burn-out. I think this a really important one for me. Sometimes, I’m not low-energy because I’m lazy, but because I’ve pushed myself too far the previous day. To combat burnout, I try to do the following things every day: get between eight and ten hours of sleep, take my medication on time, listen to my body, and take as many breaks as I need. A great thing I’ve trialled recently is doing absolutely no work on Sundays. None, nada. I don’t even think about my subjects. I know we’re force-fed this idea that we constantly have to be productive, but if we overwork our brains, we’re going to end up lacking the motivation to get anything done in the end. I’ve noticed a nice boost in my productivity since I started having a rest day!
  7. Taking a plain ol’ nap! Look, sometimes I’m exhausted, and I have no motivation within reach, and I have a few questions that are due in less than 24 hours. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and I’ll occasionally throw myself to the mercy of unconsciousness to make it all better! Half the time it totally works (the other half… Well, let’s say I wake up six hours later dehydrated, delirious, and with little to no idea who I am. But hey, you can’t always win!).
Matthew2422
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Power naps are the way to go, if you're feeling tired just lay down in the dark even if for 10 minutes, you will feel so much more refreshed for doing so.
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Evil Homer)
Hmmmmm I feel like i've seen this somewhere else..........

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/m...when-exhausted

:lol:
I was about to say, otherwise I was like, goddamn that was a fu**ing Pulitzer Prize winning essay there.
Gold Panda
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QueenAelin)
I’m a big proponent of the idea that “self-discipline is better than motivation” when it comes to low-energy, but I’m also a massive hypocrite, so I’ve accumulated a few coping skills over the years to manage my “chronic invigoration deficiency” (aka laziness).
  1. Using the five-minute rule. Sometimes, it’s the idea of facing a mountain of work that stops me from getting started in the morning. So, when my to-do list feels too daunting to conquer, I promise myself that I’ll only work for five minutes before I can stop for the day. This idea of being able to take a “no strings attached” attitude towards my studying takes off all the pressure that was causing my lack of motivation in the first place. This means that, more often than not, I’ll already be in the zone after my allotted studying time and I won’t want to stop! And, if I can’t go on, it’s alright – I’ve already got something checked off my list!
  2. Making a to-do list that includes bitesize tasks! Some days, I have no idea where to start, and that can really kill my motivation. So, on these days, I’ll include small tasks like brushing my teeth, or putting on my socks, or getting out my textbooks on my to-do list. Because they’re not too difficult to get done, I’ll get a quick dopamine hit every time I put a tick next to them, which helps me ride a wave of motivation through the next task. I’ll also occasionally break my bigger tasks down into small chunks, which helps me feel like I’m accomplishing things faster!
  3. Listening to motivational music. I really, really love listening to music from movie soundtracks when I need a motivation boost! They’re meticulously designed to bring out all kinds of emotions in you, and I’ve found that the right soundtrack can really help turn my mood around!
  4. Watching “study with me” videos. When I’m lacking the “oomph” I need to get through my studying, I find “study with me” videos to be a great motivational tool… mostly because it taps into my ultra-competitive steak. In the same branch as watching people study, I’ll also occasionally browse the “studygram” hashtag on Instagram when I don’t have the time, nor the motivation, to watch a ten-minute video. Something about aesthetically pleasing pictures that idolise studying really helps me get motivated!
  5. Prioritising the long-term! I’m terrible at thinking about short term rewards. Why would I give myself a gummy bear as a reward for finishing this question when I can just eat the whole bag now? (I think the kids these days are calling it a “lack of self-control” or something?) So, instead, I try to think about the future. I desperately want to go to a university like Edinburgh, Durham, or Warwick one day, so I like to think about what it might be like to study there! If I’m in need of a little help with my visualisation, I might also lookup photos of the university, watch vlogs by students that are currently studying there, or even browse the student room forums for those universities. I might also look at pictures of the French and German countrysides and wonder what it’d be like to study abroad for a year!
  6. Avoiding burn-out. I think this a really important one for me. Sometimes, I’m not low-energy because I’m lazy, but because I’ve pushed myself too far the previous day. To combat burnout, I try to do the following things every day: get between eight and ten hours of sleep, take my medication on time, listen to my body, and take as many breaks as I need. A great thing I’ve trialled recently is doing absolutely no work on Sundays. None, nada. I don’t even think about my subjects. I know we’re force-fed this idea that we constantly have to be productive, but if we overwork our brains, we’re going to end up lacking the motivation to get anything done in the end. I’ve noticed a nice boost in my productivity since I started having a rest day!
  7. Taking a plain ol’ nap! Look, sometimes I’m exhausted, and I have no motivation within reach, and I have a few questions that are due in less than 24 hours. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and I’ll occasionally throw myself to the mercy of unconsciousness to make it all better! Half the time it totally works (the other half… Well, let’s say I wake up six hours later dehydrated, delirious, and with little to no idea who I am. But hey, you can’t always win!).
''chronic invigoration deficiency'' ahahah thats fu**king brilliant, im using that next time xx
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I break things down into smaller goals.

e.g. it's easier to develop regular study habits when you say "I'm only going to revise this part of this topic today" or "I will work 1-2hrs a day X days a week" rather than setting yourself mountainous goals. Slow and steady works perfectly well if you can be consistent with it.
Last edited by sinfonietta; 1 month ago
Scientist-to be
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But hopefull with idears I will achive my goal in life.
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Evil Homer
I may have missed it, because I’m old, but I didn’t see the winner of the spot prize posted
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Evil Homer
I may have missed it, because I’m old, but I didn’t see the winner of the spot prize posted
You are not old! I am just forgetful. I will announce the winner now
Scientist-to be
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am 38yr old with a minor learning disability with borderline grades I gave up wanting to learning my fav subject math and science for growing up my fav was einsteine, now I know there was a Steven Hawkings I have a new insperation I am not trying to be like anyone maybe one day I will get back and puck up my borderline grades but not I am self teaching myself and I am doing great.
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
And the winner is ........................

http://somup.com/cqlulrf58o

Spoiler:
Show

Congratulations! And thank you everyone for taking part!!!!
Evil Homer
Rep:
?
And the winner is ........................

http://somup.com/cqlulrf58o

Spoiler:
Show

Congratulations! And thank you everyone for taking part!!!!
What are the chances of that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What are the chances of that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wow!!!!!

I have genuinely never won anything!!
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Wow!!!!!

I have genuinely never won anything!!
Yay Sammylou40!! 😁
SCAREDYSTUDENT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by j papi)
tactical w*nk

jk i'm always high on energy
im betting this guy ends up winning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (195)
67.71%
No (93)
32.29%

Watched Threads