The Student Room Group

Postgrad or graduate job?

Hi,

Currently in my final year at the University of Birmingham and I am looking to pursue marketing as a career. I know that a masters in marketing is not necessary but also feel like it will give me valuable knowledge and some more time to plan what I want to do in the future, etc. I know that it is expensive but I am willing to work and sacrifice for it. I am planning on doing a masters in London however, have also been considering getting a graduate marketing job instead. Obviously, the pay is quite low but my question is, would I be able to pay rent in a flatshare with a graduate job or are student flatshares cheaper and therefore is it worth me doing a masters in London, whilst working part-time to afford rent in a student flatshare and then possibly progressing to a higher-paid marketing job after I graduate?

Thanks!

Thanks!
Hi, thanks for your answer! In terms of going up North, even though there are opportunities and it is cheaper, I don't want to settle in the North long term so feel like it won't be a long-term productive idea and also very much out of my comfort zone (as in not knowing anyone!). My family are in Kent so would also be a massive trek. In terms of the marketing masters, I am currently doing an undergrad in English literature and history so far from anything to do with business. So for that reason I feel like a masters would help me gain skills but maybe I'm being naive :redface:
I hadn't thought about that, will definitely have a look into that as an option, thanks :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by polinaanastasia
Hi,

Currently in my final year at the University of Birmingham and I am looking to pursue marketing as a career. I know that a masters in marketing is not necessary but also feel like it will give me valuable knowledge and some more time to plan what I want to do in the future, etc. I know that it is expensive but I am willing to work and sacrifice for it. I am planning on doing a masters in London however, have also been considering getting a graduate marketing job instead. Obviously, the pay is quite low but my question is, would I be able to pay rent in a flatshare with a graduate job or are student flatshares cheaper and therefore is it worth me doing a masters in London, whilst working part-time to afford rent in a student flatshare and then possibly progressing to a higher-paid marketing job after I graduate?

Thanks!

Thanks!

When you say the pay is quite low how low is that?

I'd be very cautious about taking a masters unless you get grants or have lots of family support. Its far better to work for a couple of years first to have relevant experience. Graduate flatshares are not notably more expensive than student ones in London - but they are expense. Very tough to cover the costs through part time work while studying and applying for jobs, networking etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending