UrGrandpap
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Could someone mark my answer to this question about the Hungarian Uprising? I would really appreciate it as I'm trying to improve my grades in history (got a 4 in my mocks because I did no revision and I'm aiming for a 7) I would give it to my teacher to mark but he's really bad and since we're studying about Tsardom currently, he'd say my time isn't being used effectively. Anyways, thanks in advance.

Q.Write an account of how events in Hungary in 1956 affected the Cold War. [8]

In 1956 Khrushchev came into power for the Soviet Union and announced that Soviet rule would be relaxed in some Eastern European countries which was called the policy of de-Stalinization. In Hungary October 1956 there were acts of rebellion against communist control over Hungary because of poor harvests and a statue of Stalin was pulled down.

Nagy was then appointed the Prime Minister of Hungary. He introduced one-party ruling. Khrushchev accepted this as he thought it would reduce rebellions. In November 1956 Nagy announced that Hungary would be leaving the Warsaw Pact which resulted in riots. Khrushchev knew he had to respond so on November 4th 1956 he send 200,000 troops into Hungary. 5,000 Hungarians were killed and Nagy was executed which made Hungary give in to the Soviets.

The actions from the Soviets made the United Nations condemn the USSR. USA tried to support Hungary by allowing 80,000 refugees. However USA did not send troops to support Hungary as they feared it would result in a nuclear war between USA and USSR. This made USA look weak and strengthened Khrushchev’s view. This had shown that the relations the superpowers were trying to build was meaningless.
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Good things that I noticed:1. Great use of statistics and dates.2. You explained some impact, such as Nagy's announcement that resulted in riots.3. In your final paragraph, you answered the focus of the question which was of how events in Hungary in 1956 affected the Cold War.Things to improve on:1. Try and explain more impact, like the actions from Nagy.2. Possibly link to other events at the same time.3. Use more historical vocabulary that you should be learning in the classroom.Overall mark, 5 / 8.
UrGrandpap
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
Good things that I noticed:1. Great use of statistics and dates.2. You explained some impact, such as Nagy's announcement that resulted in riots.3. In your final paragraph, you answered the focus of the question which was of how events in Hungary in 1956 affected the Cold War.Things to improve on:1. Try and explain more impact, like the actions from Nagy.2. Possibly link to other events at the same time.3. Use more historical vocabulary that you should be learning in the classroom.Overall mark, 5 / 8.
Thanks so much for grading it! 5 marks was what I was aiming for. I'll work on improving from what you told me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.24%
I'm not sure (27)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (189)
31.66%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.01%
I'm not a current university student (284)
47.57%

Watched Threads