The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

UCL vs ST ANDREWS for PHYSICS

for Physics, which one is better internationally and etc...... I really care about getting a degree from a prestigious uni rather than nightlife soo subtract nightlife and societies from the equation.
Original post by Anonymous
for Physics, which one is better internationally and etc...... I really care about getting a degree from a prestigious uni rather than nightlife soo subtract nightlife and societies from the equation.

in terms of undergrad selectivity, St Andrews has the edge. People know St Andrews accepts the creme de la creme of Oxbridge rejects.

However abroad, outside the US - UCL is 100% king and it's not even close - given it's research reputation that St Andrews does not have (St Andrews' physics department has amazing research in terms of quality, but not quantity as it does not have anywhere near as much output).
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

I would care more about where you would go onto, after your undergrad degree. You could therefore enjoy the highly satisfying and enjoyable experience of doing the undergrad degree at St Andrews and then just do a Masters at UCL, which, from what I understand, would be far less personally enjoyable, with really poor satisfaction ratings, even if it is more prestigious on your CV.
Reply 3
I would care more about where you would go onto, after your undergrad degree. You could therefore enjoy the highly satisfying and enjoyable experience of doing the undergrad degree at St Andrews and then just do a Masters at UCL, which, from what I understand, would be far less personally enjoyable, with really poor satisfaction ratings, even if it is more prestigious on your CV.

I've heard St Andrews is so boring so thats why I said subtracting nightlife. But after hearing this, i must say you are the first person to say that St Andrews has a better nightlife that London :/
I've heard St Andrews is so boring so thats why I said subtracting nightlife. But after hearing this, i must say you are the first person to say that St Andrews has a better nightlife that London :/

London is terrible for nightlife, it just isn't a student city.
Reply 5
Both have good reputations. Which one is better is debatable. I’d look at the general life in each place. London is a busy city and St Andrews is a rather small place. Very different sizes and atmospheres.
Reply 6
I applied for St Andrews but not UCL as though I prefer cities, London isn’t a place I’d like to live. I’m currently preferring Edinburgh to St Andrews but won’t decide until I get a response from St Andrews which won’t be until after the deadline due to applying for a popular course.
Original post by Em.-.
I applied for St Andrews but not UCL as though I prefer cities, London isn’t a place I’d like to live. I’m currently preferring Edinburgh to St Andrews but won’t decide until I get a response from St Andrews which won’t be until after the deadline due to applying for a popular course.

It’s my understanding, from visiting UCL for physics and also from deep and wide analysis of available data, that for physics, St Andrews is a much more enjoyable student experience. For one thing, if you’re interested at all in astronomy, there is very little light pollution in St Andrews, which has its own observatory. UCL does not have an observatory. Secondly, you may get to see the aurora sometimes. Lastly, if you’re aiming for a First or a 2:1, you probably won’t have that much time for going out partying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending