How to revise for essay based uni exams

Watch
AnxiousGuy
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Do you use lecture notes? The reading? Or both?
AnxiousGuy
Rep:
?
Also, what comes up in exams? Is it stuff in lecture slides only or do you have to take extra notes from your reading lists?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
you're talking about 'discuss' questions, right? what subject are you studying?

to get a 2:1 your analysis should show evidence of further reading; it wont be enough to show you understand the lecture slides, the textbook, or even the required reading (at least that was the standard at my school). it also helps if you bring your own opinion on the subject, with sources/authors to back up your argument. do you have notes on further research?

for clarity read your module guide as it should state what it takes to get a 2:1 or above. also i moved your thread to University life
AnxiousGuy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
you're talking about 'discuss' questions, right? what subject are you studying?

to get a 2:1 your analysis should show evidence of further reading; it wont be enough to show you understand the lecture slides, the textbook, or even the required reading (at least that was the standard at my school). it also helps if you bring your own opinion on the subject, with sources/authors to back up your argument. do you have notes on further research?

for clarity read your module guide as it should state what it takes to get a 2:1 or above. also i moved your thread to University life
Thanks. How would I prepare for exams? For example I got a multiple choice/short questions exam soon. Do I take notes from the reading or is lecture slides enough?

I’m doing Politics
Last edited by AnxiousGuy; 1 year ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Lecture slides are usually enough to get a 2:2 but not much more than that, in my experience

You need to identify the broad topics that you have covered because questions will come from those. Familiarise yourself with the major debates and the major arguments.
AnxiousGuy
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Lecture slides are usually enough to get a 2:2 but not much more than that, in my experience

You need to identify the broad topics that you have covered because questions will come from those. Familiarise yourself with the major debates and the major arguments.
Ok thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.07%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (20)
16.26%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (21)
17.07%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (16)
13.01%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (37)
30.08%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
19.51%

Watched Threads