The Student Room Group

taking a gap year and then applying for medicine

Hello, I am currently in year 13 and I have applied to study psychology at Uni. I've always wanted to do medicine (and then proceed on going into psychiatry) but year 12 was a very tough year for me and so i didn't really focus in school and i didn't think much about my application. This led me to not doing my UCAT (as at this point i had given up on applying to medicine) and getting dissapointing AS grades (i got BBD). I now plan on taking a gap year if I get decent results in the summer, if not i will go on to study psychology. I wanted to ask whether anyone has been in the same situation as me and what would you advise for me to do?
thank you.
Original post by M.Saidi
Hello, I am currently in year 13 and I have applied to study psychology at Uni. I've always wanted to do medicine (and then proceed on going into psychiatry) but year 12 was a very tough year for me and so i didn't really focus in school and i didn't think much about my application. This led me to not doing my UCAT (as at this point i had given up on applying to medicine) and getting dissapointing AS grades (i got BBD). I now plan on taking a gap year if I get decent results in the summer, if not i will go on to study psychology. I wanted to ask whether anyone has been in the same situation as me and what would you advise for me to do?
thank you.

You will still need the medicine entry grades AAA or better and you will need to research unis that will consider you after resits.
If you have extenuating circumstances then apply for them at A level under special consideration (although its usually for unavoidable events closer to the exams) your referee if they were extreme and some unis have mit circs procedures. Cover all the bases with UKcat, right grades and experience sorted.
The only difference is potentially weak A levels first sit and the fact you are asking for resits.

Possible but a tough challenge. Make sure you apply to schools where you stand the best chance. Read their policies carefully so you know you meet requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by M.Saidi
thank you.

As stated, the most important thing is to get AAA+ at A level. These days your ASs are irrelevant. As soon as you finish A levels start preparing for UCAT as a good score in this opens many doors. Then you can have a great year off whilst hopefully doing your interviews and getting an unconditional offer.
If you miss your grades, then the easiest route into medicine is to resit your A levels, applying next year with new predicted grades, so you would still need a good UCAT score.
Head down, get the A levels and you are most of the way there
Woop! Do a gap year! You might find that you don't want to do medicene anymore. Gap years are a great chance to open your mind and find out what you actually love and want to do. I changed my whole degree course after a gap year! Just my two cents.
Original post by M.Saidi
thank you.

Yes people apply after gap years all the time. As long as you have AAA - that seems a huge ask to me.

Original post by Adamstown98
Woop! Do a gap year! You might find that you don't want to do medicene anymore. Gap years are a great chance to open your mind and find out what you actually love and want to do. I changed my whole degree course after a gap year! Just my two cents.

I also think a productive gap year is a great thing. To point out though - OP will need to decide on medicine in time to do the UCAT, which realistically is end of August at the latest - not exactly much time to 'open your mind'!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending