The Student Room Group

Urgent triple science help

i am in year 11

i am taking sciences for A-level

However i do combined science and students in A- levels have told me that i will struggle in A- levels due to this and therefore have to work way harder than everyone else.

Tomorrow is our fist science mock (bio) the rest is after christmas, do you think i should ask the head of science to allow me to do the triple mock after i have done the double mock and if i do well than most people in set 1 than she should let me do triple and if not then it will just be good exam practice?

thoughts and feeling?
(edited 2 years ago)
I did combined science and although I do struggle a bit in a level physics, I’m struggling at the same capacity of the rest of students but only because waves are my weakness and everyone has a weak topic. You will have to work hard just to keep up but that’s because of the difficulty of a level physics As long as you do well on your gcse science, you’ll be on the same foundation as the rest (although you have to learn only a bit of extra content but for me that’s only astrophysics).

If you enjoy learning it, you’ll have no problem motivating yourself in it and you’ll work harder without you knowing it sometimes. If you learnt all the extra triple content, I don’t think you’ll struggle at the start and work at the same pace at everyone else. Omg I love those people who think they’re the best and do triple then I crush their puny views with my results but they still think they’re better because of the little content they learn even though they have time to relearn the content while we don’t.

If you want to, they let you but even doing combined science, you’ll still be able to do it in alevels. Also congrats on a 87 on your mock like :smile:
I would definitely ask your school if you can sit the higher mock, but even if they don’t let you, you can still take sciences at A level.
I take A level chemistry, and the people who took combined had a bit more work to do at AS, but they caught up pretty quickly. If you’re learning the content you will definitely be fine.
If you feel like you can or want to, go for it but don’t worry about your choice limiting your options.
Sorry, I meant the triple mock. I agree that if you have learnt the content anyway, it would be nice to have the GCSE. I can’t see why your school would have a problem with you doing the mock, they will probably say yes.
If you do well, they will almost definitely let you take the triple GCSE.
(edited 4 years ago)
No, they don’t have UCAS points, and probably won’t matter much after A levels. A good set of gcse results still looks good on uni applications though.
My view is to go through the specification. Your school will be teaching the same exam board for both three separate (triple) and combined science. If you go through the specifications for GCSE Biology/Chemistry/Physics, often the content that's not in combined will be pointed out, e.g. in the AQA spec for each science, the triple extra stuff is shown as "biology/chemistry/physics only" for each spec point, and most textbooks point this out too. Take a look at the biology/chemistry/physics only spec content and decide whether you'd find learning that additional stuff too hard for you.

I think you should give the triple mocks a go if you can, your Y10 mock result appears to show you are at an appropriate level. Ask your teacher if they can assess you on that content too e.g. taking a triple mock. There's no harm in trying. Just give yourself enough time to revise, and if you pass the triple mocks with a grade around your predicted grade, then your teacher will realize and will probably upgrade you to triple.
(edited 4 years ago)
Lol no. People don’t choose the amount of GCSEs they can take. The only times your gcse will be considered expect from obviously grades is when you had extenuating circumstances (e.g this may cause some one to have not enough GCSEs) or what school you go to. They don’t have ucas points and don’t really matter for most unis as long as you meet their gcse requirements. For unis that care about GCSEs like oxford, they want a strong academic profile so won’t even focus that this certain person has 1 more gcse than this person.
Just ask her if you can do triple instead. It lasts 30min longer and has many common questions. If you failed on the questions which are biology only then it tells you to go back to combined.

Quick Reply