The Student Room Group

how do you improve essay writing

im doing 2 essay based subjects in A level despite not actually knowing how to write lmao. the teacher said i need to analyse and critique things etc but not HOW you do it so im confused. we dont get model full mark answers and i cant find any online either so i have no idea what a good essay even looks like. i try analysing as best as i can think of but its still an E grade, or D if im lucky. i dont get it, how are u meant to write essays? i never know what to write no matter how much i revised the topic.
Original post by lilTrain
im doing 2 essay based subjects in A level despite not actually knowing how to write lmao. the teacher said i need to analyse and critique things etc but not HOW you do it so im confused. we dont get model full mark answers and i cant find any online either so i have no idea what a good essay even looks like. i try analysing as best as i can think of but its still an E grade, or D if im lucky. i dont get it, how are u meant to write essays? i never know what to write no matter how much i revised the topic.

Please delete your bump post.

Pretty straightforward at least from those grades. It takes practice.

1. Study the material and learn how events work together.
2. Look at the title and break it down into its component parts so you know what the question they are asking is and thereby what they would expect in an answer.
3. Id the mini issues they want answering.
4. With your knowledge of the subject then work out which bits of the topic are relevant and will help you answer the question.
5. Form an essay plan with an intro, middle consisting of 4 or 5 main paragraphs and a conclusion.
6. gather your research and do a first draft explaining why you are covering the area, its significance and why its relevant for the question. 4-8 of those as mini essays, which form the backbone of your answer.
7. Top and tail it with an intro and conclusion and that's the first draft written.
8. Read again and keep it relevant plus fill in any weaknesses and edit out any surplus stuff. Check it answers the question.
9. Do a second draft with all the improvements.
10. Hand it in.

Analysing is about understanding the factors at play what happened and why, then what were the consequences.
Critique is to have the flexibility to assess the factors or actions and think what the consequences were and whether it could have been done in a different way. Its about your assessment and evaluation of the events, your opinion as long as you have a rational argument and can support with reasons or evidence.
(edited 4 years ago)
I also am currently studying all essay based subjects -English, Geography and Psychology- and the only way that I developed my skills in writing essays and went from a U at the start of year 12 to now A grade essays in Year 13 in Geography was from just practising your writing, and I done that by analysing and ripping apart model answers and structuring my essays in an extremely similar way and perfecting all of the assessment objectives within my paragraphs in order to gain high marks.

If you really cannot find any model answers, then I would advise you to plead you subject teachers to write some class examples of high level exam responses, as model answers will help you so much.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Please delete your bump post.

Pretty straightforward at least from those grades. It takes practice.

1. Study the material and learn how events work together.
2. Look at the title and break it down into its component parts so you know what the question they are asking is and thereby what they would expect in an answer.
3. Id the mini issues they want answering.
4. With your knowledge of the subject then work out which bits of the topic are relevant and will help you answer the question.
5. Form an essay plan with an intro, middle consisting of 4 or 5 main paragraphs and a conclusion.
6. gather your research and do a first draft explaining why you are covering the area, its significance and why its relevant for the question. 4-8 of those as mini essays, which form the backbone of your answer.
7. Top and tail it with an intro and conclusion and that's the first draft written.
8. Read again and keep it relevant plus fill in any weaknesses and edit out any surplus stuff. Check it answers the question.
9. Do a second draft with all the improvements.
10. Hand it in.

Analysing is about understanding the factors at play what happened and why, then what were the consequences.
Critique is to have the flexibility to assess the factors or actions and think what the consequences were and whether it could have been done in a different way. Its about your assessment and evaluation of the events, your opinion as long as you have a rational argument and can support with reasons or evidence.

thanks for that

also theres no option to delete a post. why are bumps not allowed anyway
thanks for that

also theres no option to delete a post. why are bumps not allowed anyway

Yes there is - you click on 'edit' and then there is an option to delete.

Bumps aren't allowed because they are the equivalent of elbowing your way to the front of the queue by repeatedly pushing your unanswered thread to the top of the list. It's unfair on other people who are also waiting for an answer, but whose threads appear lower down in the list and are therefore even less likely to be answered by you bumping yours.
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
Yes there is - you click on 'edit' and then there is an option to delete.

Bumps aren't allowed because they are the equivalent of elbowing your way to the front of the queue by repeatedly pushing your unanswered thread to the top of the list. It's unfair on other people who are also waiting for an answer, but whose threads appear lower down in the list and are therefore even less likely to be answered by you bumping yours.

oh. havent heard of it that way, thought bumps were common enough to be ok

i tried editing it but im on mobile so theres no option to delete 👀
oh. havent heard of it that way, thought bumps were common enough to be ok

i tried editing it but im on mobile so theres no option to delete 👀

At least you tried :smile:
Yes, bumps are common, but disallowed on TSR for the reasons I've given. It's fair enough, I think.

More to the point, did you get a satisfactory answer to your question (999tigger's one is good)?
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
At least you tried :smile:
Yes, bumps are common, but disallowed on TSR for the reasons I've given. It's fair enough, I think.

More to the point, did you get a satisfactory answer to your question (999tigger's one is good)?

yeah, i liked the last bit about how you use factors and use your opinion though the first points were a given. its the hardest part about writing(factors) ill try it anyway but i guess i wont improve until i ask my teacher for model answers lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending