?
Report 3 months ago
*Grabs popcorn*
Em.-.
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
There are male and female. Some people may be intersex or identify as both or something else which lies between the two. Someone who doesn’t identify with either is genderless which as implied by the word is not a gender. So there are two genders but more “gender identities” or whatever u want to call it. One’s identity is generally based on how they see themselves, so even if somebody thinks there should be two (or three to include intersex) gender identities, that won’t change the fact that there’s going to be a lot of ways people can label themselves in terms of their gender.
wxktorxa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
There is only one gender - rodrick
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Gender wise, there could be loads (its completely different from sex). In indigenous Hawaii, before its colonisation, there was a long standing multiple gender tradition, where the mahu could be a male or female biologically, but decide to inhabit a gender role either opposite theirs, somewhere in between the traditional sex roles, or even both masculine and feminine roles. Instead of being written off as outcasts, as persons of atypical gender identities often are today, these mahu were revered in their social roles as sacred educators of ancient traditions. Ancient Incan culture and Sakalavas of Madagascar showed similar results.

There's only 2 sexes for humans (so far that is... evolution has no end goal). Interestingly enough, according to Stephen Weeks, clam shrimp seem to come in three reproductive varieties: males, who carry two Z chromosomes, and two subgroups of hermaphrodites, one of which is ZW and the other WW. In other words, there are three sexual genotypes created by three possible pairings of sex chromosomes. Ants and other species are similar, showing that sex isn’t as straightforward as we have made it to be.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Simple answer (and obvious): No there aren’t, anyone who says otherwise is a snowflake.
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Simple answer (and obvious): No there aren’t, anyone who says otherwise is a snowflake.
intersex people: exist.
ThuggerThugger
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Ciel.)
intersex people: exist.
Yawn
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Is their more than one way to spell "their"?
Ciel.
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ThuggerThugger)
Yawn
basic biology /yawn
A giant chicken
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I'd go with 'Are' next time rather than 'Is'
kmonte01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Philosophically, psychologically and biologically even yes.
Technically there’s more than 2 sexes so to say there’s only 2 genders is just outright ridiculous.
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Intersex doesn't count as a third sex. Each intersex individual are unique and are biologically different from each other. Intersex (the condition) has been traced back to a set of specific genetic disorders. Generally speaking, intersex is usually the result of either a specific mutation to the genes that govern sexual development or having multiple copies of sex chromosomes.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes... but not in humans unless their chromosomes are ****ed up! Even then... it's not really another gender.
Pinkisk
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
Intersex doesn't count as a third sex. Each intersex individual are unique and are biologically different from each other. Intersex (the condition) has been traced back to a set of specific genetic disorders. Generally speaking, intersex is usually the result of either a specific mutation to the genes that govern sexual development or having multiple copies of sex chromosomes.
You are wasting your time with these people. It's like debating quantum physics with a goldfish.
awkwardshortguy
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I consider each of the different different kinds of intersex people to be different genders so I must say yes, there are more than three genders in my opinion.
username5021692
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Some people in this community are born seemingly as girls and become boys during puberty. They are some sort of naturally transitioning gender:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34290981
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Are there? Basic English grammar... and no!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (71)
15.5%
Uncertainty around my education (79)
17.25%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (42)
9.17%
Isolating with family (28)
6.11%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (19)
4.15%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (38)
8.3%
Loneliness (44)
9.61%
Financial worries (15)
3.28%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (44)
9.61%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.99%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (46)
10.04%

Watched Threads