Islam: Is music haram or just disliked

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is music haraam or just disliked. I've done lots of reading and most of the reason behind the belief that it is haraam is because of the sexualised lyrics and topics about drugs etc but what about music that doesn't go near those topics?
username4933904
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
controversial, but most say it is haraam. You could look it as spiritual training to not listen to music.

Most do listen to music, in which case avoid sexualised lyrics and drugs

Many would see music as an expression of beauty and a fundamental part of human expression
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There have been times when I've listened to music and been like, ''Oh. So there is a God. Okay.'' If music is forbidden wholesale, that's just tragic.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please don’t start this again. Music is not haram. I don’t know where people get this nonsense from. As for some music being not appropriate, people should have the sense to not listen to these types of songs.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 1 year ago
TheLearneredOne
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I believe listening to musix is fine as long as it doesn't influence you to sin... For example I listen to music for motivational purposes only. If the music is changing you, trying to make you commit sins, then you should stop listening or stop listening to certain artists/songs.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Disliked by some, loved by others and ignored by many.
The koran does not ban music nor say that hearing music offends God or makes him jealous.
During his lifetime, Islam's prophet did not ban music.
Some hadiths mention him disagreeing with companions that complained about loud music being played on days of celebration.

It's not just Islam, many religious fanatics of all different religions dislike music and use all sort of reasons to try to portray music as evil or a rival to God.
Creation of the devil, will make God feel jealous, distraction to humans from being holy.

Some sing songs of praise to God, use musical chanting as a form of worship or sing the call to prayer.
The early Protestant reformers and puritans like Oliver Cromwell despised music- banning it from all religious services.
They also banned some types of cakes, cancelled Christmas and preached angrily about eating too much food.
JacqueJames
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Music is not evil or haram, however I would say Taylor Swift is both
EliteWhovian
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Music is haram because of the musical instruments.Haram lyrics add to it, but the reason is the musical instruments.
Eve27
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
this probably isnt the best place for that kind of advice.
username4746572
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://youtu.be/ADBgvUE7xeU
Listen to this Chinese Muslim . He explains about this topic well . In the end there is no right or wrong answer as only Allah knows but he displays alot of valid and interesting thoughts please see this video
ta97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
if you practice a more orthodox version of Islam then yes, music is considered to be haraam and most scholars are under this impression too. The reason being that it involves 'idle talk' and diverts your mind away from God when you could be doing more productive things. Also, because of what a lot of music promotes these days.

However, it's argued that anything besides praying and reading the Qur'an takes your mind off God so you may as well make any form of recreation haraam too. Also, playing musical instrumentals is considered to be haraam too (except for the duf)
ta97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But that's only what religious Muslims follow. if you wanna be like the ones who pick and choose what they want to follow then by all means listen to music. God gave us free will after all!
Spencer5567
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Listening to music is a sin!
“Do not they testify that there is no god except Allah and that Muhammed is His Messenger?” He said, “Yes. And also they fast pray and perform Hajj.” They said, “Then, what is their problem?” He said, “They use musical instruments, drums and female singers.”
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.21%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
27.86%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (104)
37.14%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (37)
13.21%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed