Turn on thread page Beta

I say break up, it's not been "officalised" but everything is dwindling and I can tell it's over.

We were long distance and I think eventually that just took its toll. Recently he just got very distant with me, lost all affection and I seemed very low on his list of priorities. I don't know what changed, but something definitely did.

Anyway, I'm not one to take being treated like crap, I didn't go begging or anything and I knew that would only make things worse, so I've kinda accepted that things have come to end.

I had been OK about it all but just now it's hit me. I'm devastated. He was the first person I had a proper(ish) long term relationship with. We were so close as friends too, we would talk for hours every day, and there would never been an awkward silence at all. We basically fitted together perfectly, and now I can't imagine being without him. I honestly cannot comprehend finding another person I get on so well with, even with uni on the horizon. I just feel so lost knowing he doesn't feel that way about me anymore.

I've never had a proper breakup before, is this how everyone feels? Do things get better? I feel like everyone I meet I'll compare to him and how we were. I'm scared of being intimate with another person, I'm scared that we'll have nothing to talk about, I just don't know how I'll ever find someone like that.

ReputationRep:
    :console: :hugs:

Yeah. It is. It's awful and it hurts and it feels like it'll never end.

It feels like a chasm has opened up inside of you and that nothing could ever come close to filling it.

But, guess what?

It gets better. It just takes time.

Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    You'll find plenty of other people to get along with, absolutely. It'll just take a little time to move on, that's all.

Feeling that way is completely normal

ReputationRep:
    It'll get better, I promise.
    It'll take a while, and right now you might feel like you never want to be that close to another person again, but, guess what? You will. I guess humans never learn.

It'll be hard right now, and I sympathise so so much. Do nothing for a while. Just watch mindless TV and eat ice cream. Eventually you'll find it's not so bad.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: It's good to be sad about it and deal with it. It'll hurt like **** but things get better right? I sure hope so!

ReputationRep:
    sounds identical to my situation not so long ago OP,i promise you it gets better...

ReputationRep:
    It's going to be tough, it will be painful...and hard, i still get upset at every break up. The most important thing i can suggest is too keep busy..it really helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I say break up, it's not been "officalised" but everything is dwindling and I can tell it's over.

We were long distance and I think eventually that just took its toll. Recently he just got very distant with me, lost all affection and I seemed very low on his list of priorities. I don't know what changed, but something definitely did.

Anyway, I'm not one to take being treated like crap, I didn't go begging or anything and I knew that would only make things worse, so I've kinda accepted that things have come to end.

I had been OK about it all but just now it's hit me. I'm devastated. He was the first person I had a proper(ish) long term relationship with. We were so close as friends too, we would talk for hours every day, and there would never been an awkward silence at all. We basically fitted together perfectly, and now I can't imagine being without him. I honestly cannot comprehend finding another person I get on so well with, even with uni on the horizon. I just feel so lost knowing he doesn't feel that way about me anymore.

I've never had a proper breakup before, is this how everyone feels? Do things get better? I feel like everyone I meet I'll compare to him and how we were. I'm scared of being intimate with another person, I'm scared that we'll have nothing to talk about, I just don't know how I'll ever find someone like that.
    I know it sounds like a long shot but everything will be ok. Its just strange when you realise your no longer with that person anymore but you learn to adapt to the new situation. It could be that your at different points in your life but that doesn't mean its you fault. At first you wonder who your going to talk to for hours and you go to pick up the phone to call them but then realise hang on you cant but these things work out they honestly do. Now, although it seems impossible you just have to move forward with your life. It will be natural to compare the next person you meet to him but you'll like them for who they are not how similar they are to your ex. You cant worry just yet on what meeting someone else will be like as it will happen when it happens. Just have some fun with your girlfriends, being single but also unavailable as you need time to yourself for a while. Over time you might even become friends again. Don't worry about everything at once, you will be fine, honestly you will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    :console: :hugs:

Yeah. It is. It's awful and it hurts and it feels like it'll never end.

It feels like a chasm has opened up inside of you and that nothing could ever come close to filling it.

But, guess what?

It gets better. It just takes time.

Sorry.
    Who in their right mind would say that?! Oh.. oh right..

ReputationRep:
    How long were you together?
    All I can say is, when I break up with someone or get broken up with, experience tells me that I'll get over it in time. You're getting that experience now, and it's sometimes excruciatingly painful, but in time you'll see it's worth it.

(Original post by Anonymous)

i am actually going through EXACTLY the same thing atm. i really feel for you =(

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.