Do i need to tell my bank i'm going abroad? Watch

ILoveCalpol
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'll be using my HSBC debit card, probably be drawing out around £600 over one week in Rome. I;m just worried my card may get frozen 'suspicious activity'. Do i need to phone them? Which number do i use, branch or telephone banking?
secretmessages
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
Usually, they only worry about suspicious activity when a withdrawal is made in the UK and also abroad within a short space of time (as you can't be in two places at once), not when a lot of money is taken out abroad - people go on holidays all the time. However there's no harm in telling them. I wouldn't know who to call though, I'd probably phone the branch number. You could look on the website and look for customer service, inform them, and if they're not the right people then they'll tell you who to phone instead.
tangyzizzle
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
When I went abroad I rang just to let them know. I think I rang the number on the back of my card.
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
or just pop into the branch when you are in town
Ed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't need to, but if you want to for piece of mind then you can.
ThePants999
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Don't know if this still applies, but in the past, some cards/accounts had to be "activated" for international usage.
Krechie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
yeah you should, I actually told HSBC about my travels and it still happened. i did a round the world trip and it was blocked in about 5 countries. However if you don't you can just phone the number on the back and they'll unblock it for you (with certain details). The country thats the worst with card blocking is America so you should be fine!!
suek
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I would definitely give them a call. Some banks are more fussy than others but it really is best to call.

I tried to pay for a hotel in Europe using my credit card, it was frozen. Egg card - they're very very very fussy. They 90% of the time freeze it if I even try to book flights...

My nationwide card always lets me book flights no trouble though.

I have no experience of HSBC myself, though. Give them a call. If the card does get frozen call the number on the back of the card and ask them to please call you back so you don't rack up a huge bill :p:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (332)
45.36%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (227)
31.01%
I don't have an opinion (173)
23.63%

Watched Threads