Razzag21
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I need to do an essay on how a protein’s structure is linked to its function but I cannot think of a protein to do. Mostly because without doing a simple protein like Haemoglobin it is hard to find things on the structure AND how the structure is related to the proteins function. So any ideas on what protein I should do? [and preferably why]
KurejiGeezer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Try collagen you can talk about it’s fibrous structure and how it’s used in joints. Hope that can prod an idea
Razzag21
Rep:
?
I preferably need something with a lot of information on it but its not something too basic thats covered in GCSE or maybe even A level.
Razzag21
Rep:
?
(Original post by KurejiGeezer)
Try collagen you can talk about it’s fibrous structure and how it’s used in joints. Hope that can prod an idea
great idea but sadly i know alot of people are doing collagen and my lecturer asked for something we haven't covered thus far and we've definitely covered collagen
Razzag21
Rep:
?
I've tried doing Rhodopsin but literally one source of information that can answer my question, limited info and doesn't properly answer the main question of how structure is related to function. Really frustrated looking for a good protein I can write an essay on :/
Its only a 1000 words too!
KurejiGeezer
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Oh is this uni essays? Damn I was thinking of a level content cos I’m year 13 😂
Razzag21
Rep:
?
(Original post by KurejiGeezer)
Oh is this uni essays? Damn I was thinking of a level content cos I’m year 13 😂
wish it was a level content would've done collagen 😂 if it was!
KurejiGeezer
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
All I can think of is keratin, collagen, haemoglobin, myosin, actin, and tropomyosin
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Enzymes... you could link it with DNA replication and how DNA polymerase is only complementary to one end of a DNA chain.

oh lol just realised this is uni stuff my bad
Last edited by ZombieTheWolf; 3 months ago
Razzag21
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZombieTheWolf)
Enzymes... you could link it with DNA replication and how DNA polymerase is only complementary to one end of a DNA chain.

It is uni stuff but I can still talk about DNA polymerase I reckon could you expand though how it will answer my question??
ZombieTheWolf
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Razzag21)
It is uni stuff but I can still talk about DNA polymerase I reckon could you expand though how it will answer my question??
Well enzymes are proteins right? They have active sites complementary to a specific substrate substance (in this case the 3' end of DNA).

Active site shape is determined by the bonding in the secondary and tertiary protein structure.

The bonding in those structures is determined by the sequences of amino acids (primary structure).

If for some reason amino acids which make up the primary structure of DNA polymerase had been swapped around or removed or new ones added, primary structure altered, the bonding would change and the active site would change shape. It would no longer be complementary to it's substrate (3' end of DNA) and thus it couldn't catalyse the DNA replication reactions (such as forming peptide bonds between the free complementary nucleotides which align with the template strand).

So DNA replication couldn't occur if it's primary structure was altered. The structure of this protein allows it to catalyse the DNA replication reaction by giving rise to a complementary active site.
Last edited by ZombieTheWolf; 3 months ago
Razzag21
Rep:
?
Well enzymes are proteins right? They have active sites complementary to a specific substrate substance (in this case the 3' end of DNA).

Active site shape is determined by the bonding in the secondary and tertiary protein structure.

The bonding in those structures is determined by the sequences of amino acids (primary structure).

If for some reason amino acids which make up the primary structure of DNA polymerase had been swapped around or removed or new ones added, primary structure altered, the bonding would change and the active site would change shape. It would no longer be complementary to it's substrate (3' end of DNA) and thus it couldn't catalyse the DNA replication reactions (such as forming peptide bonds between the free complementary nucleotides which align with the template strand).

So DNA replication couldn't occur if it's primary structure was altered. The structure of this protein allows it to catalyse the DNA replication reaction by giving rise to a complementary active site.
thanks there is some decent info on this might do this if I can't find another one!
Razzag21
Rep:
?
bumppppp
HappyDPrince
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago

this is what I'm doing now!
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I need to do an essay on how a protein’s structure is linked to its function but I cannot think of a protein to do. Mostly because without doing a simple protein like Haemoglobin it is hard to find things on the structure AND how the structure is related to the proteins function. So any ideas on what protein I should do? [and preferably why]
The structure and function of haemoglobin and its variants is in no way simple! Who told you that it was?
Razzag21
Rep:
?
(Original post by mgi)
The structure and function of haemoglobin and its variants is in no way simple! Who told you that it was?
It is not simple but we have covered it in such detail in lectures our lecturer said not to do it specifically. Also I did the essay on myosin so thanks for the help guys!
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
It is not simple but we have covered it in such detail in lectures our lecturer said not to do it specifically. Also I did the essay on myosin so thanks for the help guys!
What about the 7 chain GPR trans membrane receptor protein
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (67)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (75)
17.36%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (40)
9.26%
Isolating with family (26)
6.02%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (18)
4.17%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (35)
8.1%
Loneliness (42)
9.72%
Financial worries (15)
3.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (42)
9.72%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.94%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (42)
9.72%

Watched Threads