St. Andrews or Manchester Medical School.

Watch this thread
Fezza101
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi All,

I’ve already had my medicine interviews at St. Andrews and Manchester, both went very well and I’m feeling optimistic! This may seem like a very first world problem but I’m having an incredibly hard time trying to decide which university I should go to if given an offer. I’ve already done extensive research into both institutions and created a pros/cons list, however they both seem to balance out equally to each other. So if anyone has any personal experiences of these universities that will be greatly appreciated or any other things I should take into account!
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fezza101)
Hi All,

I’ve already had my medicine interviews at St. Andrews and Manchester, both went very well and I’m feeling optimistic! This may seem like a very first world problem but I’m having an incredibly hard time trying to decide which university I should go to if given an offer. I’ve already done extensive research into both institutions and created a pros/cons list, however they both seem to balance out equally to each other. So if anyone has any personal experiences of these universities that will be greatly appreciated or any other things I should take into account!
Do pre-clinical at St Andrews and clinical at Manchester. Problem solved :ta:

(St Andrews is a very beautiful town and university, so that's what I would do).

EDIT: actually I'd do St Andrews/Edinburgh. But if you're interested in Manchester that's what I'd do.
Last edited by Democracy; 2 years ago
Fezza101
Rep:
(Original post by Democracy)
Do pre-clinical at St Andrews and clinical at Manchester. Problem solved :ta:

(St Andrews is a very beautiful town and university, so that's what I would do).
Hahahaha, that would be a great solution had I not applied for the Scottish route. 😂😂
muta23
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
You can ask to change routes- they have done this before for other applicants post interview by emailing admissions.
Laycity
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fezza101)
Hi All,

What about your other two choices? Have you written them off if you get offers?

As Democracy says you’ve got the opportunity to go to both. Choosing St Andrews will mean an extra year with a mandatory intercalation as you probably know. This is something that may or may not appeal. Socially the two are very different so does that bother you?
Fezza101
Rep:
(Original post by Laycity)
What about your other two choices? Have you written them off if you get offers?

As Democracy says you’ve got the opportunity to go to both. Choosing St Andrews will mean an extra year with a mandatory intercalation as you probably know. This is something that may or may not appeal. Socially the two are very different so does that bother you?
Hi thanks for the reply. My other choices are Glasgow which I feel confident for an offer and UCL which I don’t, so until I find out otherwise I’m gonna pretend that I’m not gonna get into UCL due to BMAT scores. Since I’ve chosen the Scottish route for St. Andrews it doesn’t really make sense for me to choose Glasgow for the whole 6yrs as I could have the best of both worlds by choosing St.Andrews for pre clinical. My issues is that I’ve chosen the Scottish route so I won’t be able to choose Manchester for my clinical years so I’m trying to decide if I want Manchester for the whole 6 yrs or St. Andrews (pre clinical) and potentially Glasgow or Edinburgh (clinical). I really like Scotland, although St. Andrews is a very small Uni that doesn’t have a great night life but that would only be for 3 yrs and I would have the opportunity to move to a bigger city for clinical. I’ve always planned on living in a big city like London, but I didn’t really want to train there, I’m trying to see as much of the world as possible; considering I’ve lived just outside of London my whole life and enjoy the busy city feel but St. Andrews offers other things that I like.

Socially I like going out but it’s not the be-all end-all, as long as there are fun things to do outside of studying I’ll be fine. My main issue is diversity, as a black woman I don’t really want to be somewhere where there isn’t a lot of people that look like me, although St. Andrews has a lot of international students that doesn’t necessarily mean BAME, where as my friends that go to Manchester said that the diversity isn’t too bad.

Sorry this is so long.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (106)
28.57%
It went fairly well (180)
48.52%
It didn't go too well (57)
15.36%
TERRIBLE! (28)
7.55%

Watched Threads