The Student Room Group

QTS skills tests being scrapped?

I'm applying for BA primary education. I thought I needed to do skills tests before this but apparently they're getting rid of them, is this true or do I still need to do them?
Original post by YasudaSayo
I'm applying for BA primary education. I thought I needed to do skills tests before this but apparently they're getting rid of them, is this true or do I still need to do them?

Hey :shakehand:,

Here is some information direct from the Department of Education:

If your teacher training course starts on or after 1 April 2020, you are not required to take the professional skills tests. The course provider will assure that you have the fundamental English and mathematics to become a teacher either at interview or during the training course.

If you are applying for a teacher training course that starts before 1 April 2020, you must pass the professional skills tests for numeracy and literacy before you begin your training.

This being said it is not clear if something may replace the skills test in the near future.

I hope this helps,

Tom :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hey :shakehand:,

Here is some information direct from the Department of Education:

If your teacher training course starts on or after 1 April 2020, you are not required to take the professional skills tests. The course provider will assure that you have the fundamental English and mathematics to become a teacher either at interview or during the training course.

If you are applying for a teacher training course that starts before 1 April 2020, you must pass the professional skills tests for numeracy and literacy before you begin your training.

This being said it is not clear if something may replace the skills test in the near future.

I hope this helps,

Tom :biggrin:

Thank you for the response! I will be starting my course in September 2020 so I guess I won't have to do the skills tests. However I'm a little worried that they may be replaced by something 'in the near future', by this do you mean for applicants applying in future years, or does this mean that people such as myself applying for September 2020 may suddenly have to take a different test on super short notice without having time to prepare? And how would I even find out about it?
Original post by YasudaSayo
Thank you for the response! I will be starting my course in September 2020 so I guess I won't have to do the skills tests. However I'm a little worried that they may be replaced by something 'in the near future', by this do you mean for applicants applying in future years, or does this mean that people such as myself applying for September 2020 may suddenly have to take a different test on super short notice without having time to prepare? And how would I even find out about it?

Hi @YasudaSayo

You are welcome. At current the skills test are not being replaced with something else for applications in September 2020. Currently the PGCEs will include modules in Maths, English, Science to bring students up to standard. Therefore you will only need to meet the entry requirements specified to meet the admissions criteria.

Hope this helps. If you need anything clearing up please feel free to ask.

Dom :h:
I completed my PGCE in 2012, passed my literacy but not numeracy and was therefore in a position of teaching as an unqualified teacher as I had not secured QTS. Does that assessment only route enable me to achieve QTS? Bar the numeracy test, I have completed all the criteria for assessement only. Is there anyway to fast track to obtain QTS?
Original post by Hopeful244
I completed my PGCE in 2012, passed my literacy but not numeracy and was therefore in a position of teaching as an unqualified teacher as I had not secured QTS. Does that assessment only route enable me to achieve QTS? Bar the numeracy test, I have completed all the criteria for assessement only. Is there anyway to fast track to obtain QTS?

Assessment only route would give you QTS. The minimum you can do it in is 3 months (a term) you will probably have to do some sort of audit for maths and English before you start it.
Hi @Hopeful244
Here is some information I thought you may find useful: If you’re an experienced teacher with a degree, you can achieve qualified teacher status (QTS) without having to do any further training. Assessment Only allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all of the standards for QTS.

To achieve QTS via the AO route, you’ll need to present detailed evidence that you meet the standards. Your teaching will be assessed in a school by an accredited and approved AO provider. You’ll also need to meet all the entry requirements at section A1 of assessment only criteria and supporting advice before you can be accepted onto the route.

This way of achieving QTS is only available to unqualified teachers who have taught in at least two schools, early years and/or further education settings.

A number of universities, colleges, schools and SCITTs around the country offer AO. Their criteria for entry may vary, and you will need to apply to them directly if you are interested in this route to QTS.

How to apply
If you would like to apply for the AO route, you can apply directly to an approved provider. If you go on to the getintoteaching website there is a search there to check and search for approved providers.

Hope this all helps
Olivia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending