anonymoustony
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
what are some common themes in both Dr Jekyll and mr Hyde and Dracula? I was thinking desire but have minimal points to make
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I know some in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde: Duality of Man, Good vs Evil, Repression and Reputation, Friendship and Loyalty, and Violence. There are many more but these are the main themes. However, I don't know any about Dracula, sorry.
Foreverneek
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
One point would be how both texts engage with the Gothic and Gothic monsters to reflect the social milieu of the time.
E.g. I believe that Dracula as a Gothic monster is supposed to reflect the xenophobia and fear of the Other (though I am not too familiar with the text), while Hyde - though not a "monster" in the same way that Dracula is a vampire - is monstrous in his 'pure evil' and scientific origins, and is supposed to reflect the dangers of repression and an evil that is not countered by good (in order to advance Stevenson's argument about the necessity of a knowledge of both good and evil to make moral judgement). Stevenson's more human monster reflects his focus on the nature of humankind.

As I mentioned, I'm not too familiar with Dracula. However, you could discuss the appeal of the Other e.g. while the Other is kept at a distance by society, there is an inherent appeal in savage and more primitive cultures and beings. For example, with Hyde, despite his crimes and immorality, Jekyll still finds a pleasure in becoming his alter-ego. This is about the disjuncture between appearance and reality, between images of civilisation, composure, and rationality and the more complicated reality of desire, temptation, and sin.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (41)
32.03%
No - I have already returned home (16)
12.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
21.09%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (10)
7.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (34)
26.56%

Watched Threads