Turn on thread page Beta

What is the 'rah' look? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you like the 'rah' look?
    Yes, love it!
    52.70%
    No, hate it!
    47.30%

ReputationRep:
    What is jack wills and abercrumble anywya? NEver seen those shops on the high street

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Yey! Durham's website used to have two Rahs on the homepage. Male and female, completely stereotypical dress.
    :eek: Do you have the pic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    What is jack wills and abercrumble anywya? NEver seen those shops on the high street
    Jack Wills is a university outfitter's.
    Abercrombie & Fitch is an American store, but I believe there is now a branch in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Demoskratos7)
    Jesus wept; 90% of my college dresses like that.
    Worse still, I worked on the university newspaper with the guy who runs that website

Incidentally, it's worryingly easy for an Oxbridge student to look like a rah - I'm very Old Labour, very state school, and very Northern, but on days when I happen to be wearing my college hoodie with a short skirt, and when my hair's in a messy ponytail, I could almost be mistaken for one until you heard my accent :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tory Dan)
    Jolly good, was that a complement or a poorly structured insult?
    Well it wasn't meant to come across as an insult nor a compliment, it was just a random comment I guess. Well he's a very nice guy, so I guess you could say it was a comment to a degree! Here, it wasn't poorly structured, well ok it was, but still..and yes I don't know where I was going with that one!

ReputationRep:
    lol when I saw the title I thought it meant 'rah as in rah look at him or rah look at her' not as in the dress sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaaa)
    You're too confusing.

You said before "...and you can also buy cheaper priced 'smart' clothes and dress smartly..."
    Oh I meant smart looking clothes from shops like gap/zara etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All at once)
    can you imagine the outrage if someone were to come on here and start a thread about the council house look? people ****ging off people for wearing lonsdale tracksuits, saying their daddy's earned them the status by impregnating their mother at 12 and doing a runner.

inverse snobbery imo.

although the 'rah look' does often look fuggin ridiculous.

That is discraseful, I live in a council house, and me or my family are ceartinally nothing like that, so keep your stereotypical comments to yourself :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I hate rah girls hair "style" (using style in the loosest term possible), why would anybody try and look as though they hadn't brushed their hair for the last 6 months, and spend a good half an hour doing so (I guess I would also say the same about ridiculous emo fringes)? The majority of rah girls I've met also have an obsession with using way, way too many coats of mascara, resulting in about 4 clumps of eyelashes accumulating - therefore, looking ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest the majority of the people who have the 'rah' look are not really that posh at all but just want everyone to think that they are. the people who i have met who are actually very rich and what not are pretty down to earth and dont feel the need to show off to everyone else. the sterotypical rah look is for wannabees

(Original post by xxstace123xx)
    That is discraseful, I live in a council house, and me or my family are ceartinally nothing like that, so keep your stereotypical comments to yourself :mad:
    i was pointing out the acceptability of stereotyping wealthier people, but how it's not very PC to **** off poor people with what is perhaps a largely incorrect stereotype (that i mentioned in my first post). i've no issue with people living in council houses, i know some very nice people who do. but is it not equally disgraceful for someone to assume that people who dress 'rah' have a silver spoon up their arse and are stuck up snobs?

besides, the first person who quoted me is probably right, these threads are counterbalanced by the chav threads on here i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    They ooze arrogance in the thought that everyone thinks they are cool and want to be like them.
    Posh charvers, I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxstace123xx)

Well.. you lot are stereotyping most present and ex Public/Independent school girls. How is that ok, and stereotyping people who live in council houses NOT ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleWorld)
    I hate rah girls hair "style" (using style in the loosest term possible), why would anybody try and look as though they hadn't brushed their hair for the last 6 months, and spend a good half an hour doing so (I guess I would also say the same about ridiculous emo fringes)? The majority of rah girls I've met also have an obsession with using way, way too many coats of mascara, resulting in about 4 clumps of eyelashes accumulating - therefore, looking ridiculous.
    some people's hair just looks like that naturally.

i dont mind rahs when theyre not too extreme, which is probably a good thing seeing as i want to go to cambridge

ReputationRep:
    I like the style, but the hair annoys me a bit, and I hate the attitude. I like the girl rah style, sort of boho and boots. And I like the guys' style too, it's hot, at least they are dressed nicely. I'd rather than than seeing trackies and baseball caps *shudders*

I don't like the attitude though.

ReputationRep:
    My sister brought home the Jack Wills catalogue the other day. I could not believe it. LOL.

ReputationRep:
    I want to go on a rah gap year, help starving colonials then go on safari and kill elephants for their ivory so I can have a nice mantlepiece.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tory Dan)
    I want to go on a rah gap year, help starving colonials then go on safari and kill elephants for their ivory so I can have a nice mantlepiece.
    Sounds exciting.
    Count me in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaaa)
    Sounds exciting.
    Count me in.
    You look very rah to me, do you horseride, can you pluck a pheasant? If so you will make a fine wife.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, the former colonials are no fun Tory Dan. I recently got back from a safari in Botswana and only a few acknowledged me and my family as superiors, most couldn't speak English LOL

watched my brother kill some elephants tho, we have some tusks in our garage

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.